Author Topic: Financial Contributors Only  (Read 30861 times)

Luke

• View Profile
Financial Contributors Only
« Reply #45 on: August 23, 2006, 02:41:33 PM »
Quote from: kuri
Thank the Lord for credit.

And who do we agnostics thank?

:D

Caissa

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 23, 2006, 02:50:56 PM »
God, just in case. :D

I had a roommate who refused to call himself an atheist because he said that was allowing the theists to set the terms of the debate.

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
« Reply #47 on: August 23, 2006, 02:53:48 PM »
The term pagan is from Latin paganus, an adjective originally meaning "rural", "rustic" or "of the country." As a noun, paganus was used to mean "country dweller, villager." In colloquial use, it would mean much the same as calling someone a 'bumpkin' or a 'hillbilly'. Paganus was almost exclusively a derogatory term. (It is from this derivation of "villager" which we have the word "villain", which the expanding Christians called the Pagans of Northern Europe/Scandinavia). From its earliest beginnings, Christianity spread much more quickly in major urban areas (like Antioch, Alexandria, Corinth, Rome) than in the countryside (in fact, the early church was almost entirely urban), and soon the word for "country dweller" became synonymous with someone who was "not a Christian," giving rise to the modern meaning of "pagan."[1] In large part, this may have had to do with the conservative nature of rural people, who were more resistant to the new ideas of Christianity than those who lived in major urban centers.

from wiki

Interesting how it is pretty much the exact opposite now!

BTW this was just for you fern.  :wink:
“Damaged people are dangerous. They know they can survive.” —  Josephine Hart

kuri

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 23, 2006, 03:40:56 PM »
Quote from: Luke
Thank the Lord for credit.

And who do we agnostics thank?

Actually, I'm agnostic, too. I just had a very extended conversation with some Jehovah's Witnesses about it, so I think I had the Lord on the brain. You think they'd take pity on a gimp and not make me stand for so long! But you're right, maybe I should have thanked fate, or perhaps, er... MasterCard. I dunno.  :?

Luke

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 23, 2006, 04:34:27 PM »
Quote from: Caissa
God, just in case. :D

I had a roommate who refused to call himself an atheist because he said that was allowing the theists to set the terms of the debate.

Love the former. Nothing beats good insurance, eh?

As to the latter, I usually say atheism is too religious for me.

Luke

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 23, 2006, 04:39:00 PM »
I just had a very extended conversation with some Jehovah's Witnesses about it, so I think I had the Lord on the brain. You think they'd take pity on a gimp and not make me stand for so long! But you're right, maybe I should have thanked fate, or perhaps, er... MasterCard. I dunno.  :?

No pity from them and no letting up. Even insults don't work. They just respond by saying, 'but the Lord says...' But they gave up on me, ha! I had these endless debates with them at my door. (Heaven forbid to invite them in. :) ) They came back many times but then didn't show up anymore. My conclusion was that they had decided that I was a hopeless case. They had even given me a nice Bible, nice because it has an extensive index.

Thank Mastercard for the rest and check out this video, a fake Mastercard commercial.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 1633806354

ETA

I guess I should have said this video is X-rated even though one can hear this kind of talk on afternoon TV shows. (No graphic sex is in it)

Luke

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 23, 2006, 06:29:26 PM »
Quote from: Debra
Paganus was almost exclusively a derogatory term. ... "villain", which the expanding Christians called the Pagans of Northern Europe/Scandinavia. From its earliest beginnings, Christianity spread much more quickly in major urban areas, in fact, the early church was almost entirely urban

My name is not fern but I have a response just the same.

It happened in the cities, you say. That's not strange because it's where historically much change has first taken place. But look at the direction of the change. Love thy neighbour and turn the other cheek are really quite boring compared to what was happening in Walhalla. Just listen to Anna Russell tell the story of Der Ring des Nibelungen based loosely on figures and elements of Germanic paganism.

It was wild up there in Walhalla, let me tell you. And they did it on Earth too. :D

Try to get a tape of Anna with her analysis of The Ring. She tells that story better than anybody else and in only 21 minutes on top of it. That's quite an acomplishment; Wagner takes day.

« Reply #52 on: August 23, 2006, 06:52:54 PM »
Quote from: Luke
As to the latter, I usuall;y say atheism is too religious for me.

Hmmph, buncha non-believers on this thread.  :annoyed  

:mrgreen:

Luke

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 23, 2006, 07:22:39 PM »
careful, she's watching

fern hill

• View Profile
    • http://scathinglywrongrightwingnutz.blogspot.com/
« Reply #54 on: September 05, 2006, 09:06:43 AM »
Now that summer is over and we're all back to being serious, I'm bumping this for people who may have missed it. Debra has an update in the ssha.

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 05, 2006, 11:46:52 AM »
Quote from: fern hill
Now that summer is over and we're all back to being serious...

Speak for yourself. Nyah, nyah, nyah.... :twisted: :drunk  :party1  :piratedance  :toast  :fart  :fart2  :bunny  :bunny  :bunny  :P

suzette

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 05, 2006, 04:53:07 PM »
Oh, er... I missed this thread until now.  I've sent my contribution off, so here's my raised hand for counting.

fern hill

• View Profile
    • http://scathinglywrongrightwingnutz.blogspot.com/
« Reply #57 on: September 14, 2006, 01:47:36 PM »
Another post-Labour Day *bump* for those who may have missed this.

Return To TAT