Author Topic: Beer...Good for Your Health!  (Read 10435 times)

radiorahim

• View Profile
Beer...Good for Your Health!
« on: August 25, 2006, 10:35:35 PM »
Research shows that the moderate consumption of alcohol provides significant health benefits, primarily through reducing the risk of cardiovascular disease, but also with respect to reduction in risks associated with other ailments such as stomach ulcers, gallstones, arthritis, etc.

Evidence suggests that people who drink beer regularly and in responsible amounts are substantially healthier. A study supported by the Canadian government said people who consume one or two drinks a day are healthier than non-drinkers.

In terms of nutrition, beer is a source of vitamins as well as proteins.

http://www.thebeerstore.ca/Beers/Health.asp

Normally I wouldn't put too much stock in a corporate study...but...that was good enough to cause me to go to the refrigerator and pull out a nice frosty bottle of Steam Whistle Beer.  :lol:  :lol:
Free software, Free society

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2006, 04:44:15 AM »
Think it would be better for it not to be corporate beer, though!

The key to all those things is moderation, of course.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2006, 05:05:14 AM »
Ben Franklin wrote: "Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy."  

I fear that I am strictly a wino, although I have known too many wonderful people who are beer aficionados not to respect the grain as well as the grape.

"The grain and the grape" -- always imagine that expression said with a pronounced Scottish accent.  :wink:

Sleeping Sun

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2006, 07:04:34 AM »
As the wife and sometimes brew-partner of an avid homebrewer and beer snob, I could have told you this ages ago. :)

If you want 'healthier' beer, go for the unfiltered or bottle conditioned stuff that has a cloudy look with teeny bits floating in it and/or some sediment in the bottom.  When you near the end of your glass or bottle, swirl up the sediment and down it.  That sediment is exhaused yeast cells, aka brewers yeast, a fancy suppliment you can find in any health store.  It contains a good dose of vitamin B-12 (I think it's 12), which is one of the vitamins depleted by your body when drinking, and thus lesening any potential hangover (the headache and general fatigue parts, I think; you'll still have to load up on water to battle the dehydration).

eta: looking at that on TAT, I totally forgot to mentioned cask conditioned.   :drool  If you can find cask conditioned ale (I know of one place in Ottawa), find a table, sit down, and get ready to stay a while.  

also to add:  want a definition of torture/irony?  The torture part is that I lurve beer, and we have three kegs in the basement 'beer fridge' (complete with spiffy taps on a custom built modification), and I can't have any.  The irony part is that even though a small sip now and then might not hurt me or the little one, I've completely lost my taste for it.  Stupid pregnancy hormones and stuff......

Tommy Shanks

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2006, 03:16:16 PM »
This sorta relates to the thread about study "A" being contradicted by study "B".

From above:

A study supported by the Canadian government said people who consume one or two drinks a day are healthier than non-drinkers.

From the CDC:

For men, heavy drinking is typically defined as consuming an average of more than 2 drinks per day. For women, heavy drinking is typically defined as consuming an average of more than 1 drink per day.

http://www.cdc.gov/alcohol/faqs.htm#10

Now I know these aren't talking about the same thing, but a cursory reading of both facts together would lead one to assume that you can be a healthier person by being a heavy drinker.

ps: Considering that most people I know usually come home from work (not to mention when socializing) and have a drink before dinner and a glass of wine that would technically make them heavy drinkers according to the CDC. And here I was thinking that was all civilized like.
We are the mods, we are the mods, we are, we are, we are the mods.

fern hill

• View Profile
    • http://scathinglywrongrightwingnutz.blogspot.com/
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2006, 04:24:16 PM »
Hey, I just noticed that this is in Men's Health! Like grils don't drink beer? Hmmmm? Isn't that just a tad sexist?

shaolin

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2006, 11:06:19 PM »
A heavy drinker at one/day??  Holy fuck - I must be a high-functioning alcoholic!!!  (Grain and grape, both.)

alisea

• View Profile
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/windsea/
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2006, 12:02:38 AM »
I'm with you, shaolin. Sheesh. What a guaranteed way to turn people off their message.

I get home, I start preparing dinner, I have a glass of wine or a beer while I'm at it, then I have another with dinner. And sometimes *gasp* I have a second. Or an after-dinner drink.

Calling one-drink-a-day "heavy drinking" is just stupid. Now, possibly one should frown on 3 drinks a day, even if well-spaced. But heavy? whoever coined that term had never met my Aunt Sue (following on the anecdotal Cape Breton tradition of dismissing any sort of science), and she died at 93, a few years after I moved to Nova Scotia. And one of my fondest memories of her last years is smuggling in the forty-ouncers of rum.
Do not meddle with the Forces of Nature, for you are small, insignificant, and biodegradable.

suzette

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2006, 01:27:28 AM »
Quote from: fern hill
Hey, I just noticed that this is in Men's Health! Like grils don't drink beer? Hmmmm? Isn't that just a tad sexist?

I've noticed that in beer advertising, too.  Many of the gals I know are, like myself, great fans of the amber liquid, yet the advertising is always aimed squarely at men.  A year or so ago a local brewery added a new line to their range, and the ads said "It's like finding out Claudia Schiffer has a twin sister".  I mean, I totally went out and bought two cartons of the stuff after reading that!  And over this weekend just gone I noticed that Boag's, an old favorite, has suddenly started putting a lusty-looking, bikini-clad miss on their label.  Uh, guess what Boag's?  You've just ostricised a fair slice of your market.  Idiots.  In fact, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to write them a narky email right now.

ETA: Heh.  Email sent.  That felt good.

James

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2006, 05:19:17 AM »
Suzette;
 What in hell is a "carton" of beer ??? As far as I know, they come in "cases". In tough times, "dozens". In really tough times, "six-packs". Of late, I've found to my surprise that the Beer Store (govt.TM) will even sell you a "single", depending on the brand. I think that is only the high alcohol, raunchy brands though.

arborman

• View Profile
    • http://bohemiancoast.blogspot.com
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2006, 07:33:55 PM »
Well, I probably have an average of 1-2 drinks per day.... :wink:
The pleasures of the table are for every man, of every land, and no matter what place in history or society; they can be a part of all his other pleasures, and they last the longest, to console him when he has outlived the rest.

suzette

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2006, 07:40:55 PM »
Quote from: James
Suzette;
 What in hell is a "carton" of beer ??? As far as I know, they come in "cases".
At a wild guess, a "carton" and a "case" are the same thing, James.  Radical notion, huh?  I'm not North American, so I speak a different dialect.

Herr Magoo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2006, 08:07:45 PM »
You have a great avatar for posts just like that one.  It's really the only avatar I fear.
ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø,

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2006, 08:46:17 PM »
I know, Magoo, that can be a rather intimidating avatar, eh?

Quote from: suzette
Quote from: fern hill
I've noticed that in beer advertising, too.  Many of the gals I know are, like myself, great fans of the amber liquid, yet the advertising is always aimed squarely at men.
ETA: Heh.  Email sent.  That felt good.

Good on ya for sending the e-mail, Suzette. I used to drink beer back when I was trying to make friends in Canada. (Really, I hate all carbonated drinks). For some reason, drinking beer made me ultra-attractive. I could do what a man can do! Wow! The guys couldn't get over it.

anne cameron

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2006, 08:47:27 PM »
The local marina sells tee shirts with that "Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy" slogan ...

Return To TAT