Author Topic: Kids......  (Read 13057 times)

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
Kids......
« on: August 29, 2006, 08:12:59 PM »
Well that was fun.

Last night one of my sons dropped off a puppy here. He and his girlfriend had wanted a dog but it was setting off her allergies.

So today my daughter has been walking it constantly. Around 3 she left to walk it again and two of her friends 8 and 5 she's almost 11.

At five I phoned over thinking they were at the friends house, her mom thought they were here. Just after 7 and after much searching by half the town and a call to the police one of my sons found them.

One of those things were you go I'm so glad you're ok now come here so I can kill you.
“Damaged people are dangerous. They know they can survive.” —  Josephine Hart

Toedancer

• View Profile
Kids......
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2006, 08:35:53 PM »
Oh isn't that age group grand? I called the police once as well. They arrived (by then I had found her) and insisted she come and talk to them. She was vera afraid. You know what the bastards asked her "Did u have a fight with your mommy today?" Then one of them hit on me. Subtle but obvious to me.

And yes I soo remember the "your here, you weren't abducted, thank gawd, now I'll have to kill ya".

So glad all is well Debra. Terrifying isn't it?
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

Kids......
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2006, 08:36:24 PM »
Oh Debra, what a scare. I'm so glad they're okay.

I used to do that to my parents all the time, especially at 7 and younger. Well, in kindergarten, there were three boys who would beat me up after school while I was waiting for my grandma to come take me home in an auto-rickshaw. Sometimes, I would fight back tooth and nail, and sometimes, grandma would have a chat with the boys' parents. Then, one day, I got tired of waiting for my grandma, and decided to walk almost an hour home. So, off I went. Grandma comes, doesn't find me there, can't find me anywhere, she's panicking, she goes home (I can't remember if we had a phone at the time or not), I'm not home, my mum's bawling her eyes out... don't remember what else happened. Then, finally I showed proudly announcing that I walked home all by myself. I don't remember what happened after that. I remember people laughing around me.

Then, we moved to the ME when I was 6. My bus-stop was the very first one on the way home from school. We had a big white school bus. I was curious about this new city I was in. So many tall buildings and so few bungalows. So, I decided not to get off the bus, choosing instead to tour the city on the school bus. Neither the driver nor the conductor noticed till I was the last one left on the bus. I remember getting scolded when I got home. I can't remember if it was this incident or the first one or some other time when the cops were called. Sometimes, I had to walk home with a teacher I didn't like. So, I didn't always wait for her.

anne cameron

• View Profile
Kids......
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2006, 08:38:54 PM »
God, what a fright!

I hear a siren and I HAVE to know where they are..not just the little grand grrrrrrrls, even the adult kids!

I think times like that are what get you into heaven..you've already been to Hell!

Kids......
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2006, 08:38:59 PM »
Quote from: Toedancer
You know what the bastards asked her "Did u have a fight with your mommy today?" Then one of them hit on me. Subtle but obvious to me.

Gasp. Urrggghhh... that makes me so mad. There's a reason they're called pigs. Insensitive, clueless clods works as well.

Bacchus

• Anya's Daddy-The Only Title than Matters
    • View Profile
Kids......
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2006, 09:44:39 PM »
Well its kind of nice that they try and check that theres no home abuse going on which caused the running away. Tho the hitting on you is pretyt disgusting.

like asking a rape victim out as your taking her statement  :evil:
When you're on your own
When you're at a fork in the road
You don't know which way to go
There's too many signs and arrows
You haven't laughed in a while
When you can't even fake a smile
When you feel ashamed...
The uniform don't make you brave

Toedancer

• View Profile
Kids......
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2006, 09:53:49 PM »
That thought actually went thru my mind Bacchus at the time. So I allowed it and asked her to speak up and look at the officer.

The other officer was wowed by the bookshelves and couldn't stop looking back and forth from them to me and then smiled quite wickedly.

Here's the funny part. I have a way of widening and pushing my eyes out so they look quite scary, well scary enuf to put the fear into kids anyway. My daughter would just flip everytime I did it. I did do it. For an instant. And she saw it out of the corner of her eye. Having never seen it directed at anybody except her, she was just floored that I would give such a look to an officer.

She ran to her room and the officer looked kinda sick. The other one had no idea what had just transpired, just knew something happened that he didn't see.  Hee!
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

Bacchus

• Anya's Daddy-The Only Title than Matters
    • View Profile
Kids......
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2006, 09:59:51 PM »
LOL thats funny toe!!  I can do the spock eyebrow but thats it!
When you're on your own
When you're at a fork in the road
You don't know which way to go
There's too many signs and arrows
You haven't laughed in a while
When you can't even fake a smile
When you feel ashamed...
The uniform don't make you brave

Timebandit

• View Profile
Re: Kids......
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2006, 10:19:14 AM »
Quote from: Debra
Well that was fun.

Last night one of my sons dropped off a puppy here. He and his girlfriend had wanted a dog but it was setting off her allergies.

So today my daughter has been walking it constantly. Around 3 she left to walk it again and two of her friends 8 and 5 she's almost 11.

At five I phoned over thinking they were at the friends house, her mom thought they were here. Just after 7 and after much searching by half the town and a call to the police one of my sons found them.

One of those things were you go I'm so glad you're ok now come here so I can kill you.

Oh, crap!  I hate when they do stuff like that!

Ms B sort of did that to me once.  We have a branch library across the street from the school, so the blond guy, Ms T and I went to the library at about time to pick up Ms B, and I went across to the schoolyard to find my kid.  Can't see her on the little kids' playground.  She's not in her classroom or the big kids' playground on the other side of the school.  Not in the bathrooms.  Back out on the little kids' grounds, she's not there.  I holler.  No response.  I wonder if she's crossed the street herself and gone to the library, so I go there.  Not there, and the blond guy and I are terrified.  I just about got hit by a bus running across the street to get back to the school.  Nearly everybody was gone by this point.  Go to the office for help, soon everybody's looking for her.  Go back out to the playground, and there she is.  She'd been playing behind the dumpster and ignored me because she was enjoying herself.

There was a grandma there with a couple of kids.  She thought I'd lost my mind because my response was to roar my head off at Ms B, then pick her up and hold her so tight she could hardly breathe.  I'd never been so scared in my life.
Whenever anyone has offended me, I try to raise my soul so high that the offense cannot reach it. -Rene Descartes, philosopher and mathematician (1596-1650)

fern hill

• View Profile
    • http://scathinglywrongrightwingnutz.blogspot.com/
Kids......
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2006, 10:49:43 AM »
My grandfather owned a duplex that all his children lived in when first married, so when I was little, my cousin of just about the same age lived upstairs. The house was on a y-crossing with a fair amount of traffic. There were also train tracks nearby.

When we were 3, I had the grand idea of hiding in the basement. There were cupboards down there, just the right size for a couple of 3-year-olds. We took a package of Oreos, climbed in and shut the door. There were some kind of sales pads in there with carbon paper between the pages. That keep us occupied.

We heard our mothers calling us. We kept quiet. One of the mothers came down to the basement to look. We were even quieter.

Upstairs a panic was developing. The house and yard had been combed (they thought). The neighbours had been alerted and their houses and yards combed. The grandmother, who lived nearby, had been called and she had arrived in her pink Cadillac convertible. Next the fathers were called at work and they came home. A party was organized to go look on the train tracks. The next move was to call the cops. Before that, my mother decided to check the house one more time.

I don't know how long all this took, but we were bored by then. We'd eaten the cookies, mangled a bunch of sales pads. We heard my mother in the basement and decided to come out. She shrieked and my aunt arrived. My aunt hauled the cousin up the stairs, slapping her bum with each step. My mother looked at me regretfully and did the same. I knew she didn't want to punish me, but she had to because cousin was getting it.

When we came up, I was stunned by the number of people milling around. And everybody was yelling at us.

Kids. . . really have no idea what they put their parents through.

Toedancer

• View Profile
Kids......
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2006, 11:06:05 AM »
Well done you little bratsky, well done.

Its sad kids don't have a modicum of the freedom we had as kids. We could disappear at age 6 for an entire day and no one worried. Surrounded by lakes, rivers, thick forests, you name it, no worries. And I remember almost killing myself a couple of times, falling out of trees, being taken by the current, then promptly forgotten to do it all again the next day. Moms were so dam busy, old fashioned washing machines, hanging on the line, pumping water, kittens and puppies and bunnies. Lord, no wonder we had such freedom.

"Get Outside!" Sheesh, they even made us bologna sandwiches to eat somewhere. Who does that now?

When we moved to the big city, it was different. I remember a girl of about 12, so big, she had a little business in one of the big water shutes down near the racetrack. She would steal from the local convenience and then re-sell it in her water pipe. Half price comics, candy. I often wonder what she does now?

Karen

• View Profile
Kids......
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2006, 11:19:47 AM »
True story.  I lost my three year old daughter once, she had been playing in the yard and then she wasn't.  What a scare!  We searched for almost an hour, had the neighbours out looking, had neighbourhood kids out looking, phoned the police......

At one point  I came back to my front door to find a strange man standing there.  Of course I leaped on him - "what are you doing here?  What do you want?".  He tells me that he is from - and I kid you not - he is there from Child Find BC and is looking for donations.  I explained to him what was going on and he set down his briefcase and joined the search.  Five minutes later he found my girly asleep in the very back part of my van, I had looked in there but she had tucked herself under the seat and I missed it.  Apparently this man had had a child do that before, so it was one of the first places he thought of.

I remember that crying laughing hugging - and my sleepy little girl wondering what all the fuss was about.

I donate to Child Find each year.  

:D

Toedancer

• View Profile
Kids......
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2006, 11:22:16 AM »
What a great story Karen.

Timebandit

• View Profile
Kids......
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2006, 11:39:04 PM »
My baby starts kindergarten tomorrow.  I'm kind of glad, but I think I'm going to cry anyway after I drop her off tomorrow morning.  :cry:
Whenever anyone has offended me, I try to raise my soul so high that the offense cannot reach it. -Rene Descartes, philosopher and mathematician (1596-1650)

Toedancer

• View Profile
Kids......
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2006, 11:47:48 PM »
Tomorrow? Why? So soon? OMG my heart goes out to you TB.  Yes you will cry.You will be there to pick her up. Oh gawd, don't spill your heart, let her do the talking. Pick up your ques from her. Oh lord, it's so hard. Sorry, it is tough. Let us know how it goes.

Return To TAT