Author Topic: FIFA World Cup  (Read 66423 times)

fern hill

• View Profile
    • http://scathinglywrongrightwingnutz.blogspot.com/
FIFA World Cup
« on: June 04, 2006, 07:16:42 PM »
Any footie fans here? A local amusement: my Portuguese neighbours all root for Portugal, until it's out, then they all turn Brazilian. Last World Cup, or the one before, I found out I was living in little Brazil. Jeez, the cars driving around all night, tooting, singing, and, oddly, a bunch of slashed tires on parked cars.

lagatta

• View Profile
FIFA World Cup
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2006, 09:01:57 PM »
fern, as you know, I live in the oldest Little Italy, where nowadays there are probably more Latinos than Italians, though Italians who live in newer, blander districts turn up here to celebrate important events like the World Cup. And have also lived in the (real) Italy, and in France. When I first arrived in Rome, Argentina had won the World Cup and the railway station and city centre were festooned with Argie flags (well, you know Argentina is seen as pretty much an extension of Italy, with more beef).

In Paris, I was celebrating Cameroon advancing towards the finals with all of African Paris, black and brown, in the neighbourhood I was staying in then.

Here I'll no doubt catch games with friends - confess to being a Dirty Old Lady fan who enjoys the wide variety of good-looking young men without too much cumbersome gear. ;)

The Latinos turn Brazilian too, and the Portuguese drive up here from the traditional Portuguese 'hood.

Argentina would rally both the Itals and the Latinos, although other Latinos view Argies as Italianate Eurosnobs.

Québécois - and the very large North African community here - have developed a fondness for the French side, though it is getting a bit long in the tooth and short on renewal.

But what if some pink-skinned Northern team wins - the hometeam Germans, the bluidy English (note that the Celtic nations have their own sides), the Dutch?

Oh well, people will find some reason to party anyway.  8)  8)  8)  8)  8)
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
FIFA World Cup
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2006, 08:34:23 AM »
I guess, given my neighbourhood, I start off supporting Italy, yes? Tell me more about the potential Celtic contenders.

I don't know soccer at all except for the parties on St Clair and College. Thorfinn did rugger, about which I learned mainly how to say "I am a hooker."

I'm not sure that our little Italy north has morphed yet into anything else, as the College Street area has. I could ask one of my local political candidates.

lagatta

• View Profile
FIFA World Cup
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2006, 08:56:43 AM »
No, skdadl, none of the Celtic nations qualified this time: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_FIFA_World_Cup#Teams - I certainly remember Scottish and Irish flags (not the same time) flying for World Cups here.

I'm sure a lot of local Italians have moved out to the suburbs (why?) from the St Clair area too, but I think it has retained more of an Italian population than the College Street Little Italy. My info is not entirely up to date though - ten years ago I could have provided a rundown of the major Little Italies in the Americas, from Thunder Bay to La Boca, in Buenos Aires.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

fern hill

• View Profile
FIFA World Cup
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2006, 09:08:27 AM »
Here's a fun thing to do if you are within range of a 'multicultural' telly station.

In my life, I have studied: Latin, French, German, Italian, and ancient Greek. Alas, none stuck, and I  am sadly unilingual. I live in a Portuguese nabe and hear it all the time, as well as read signs in it.

When the World Cup is on, the local multicultural station (Omni 1 and 2) broadcasts the game in the relevant language. (There are obviously problems when Italy plays Brazil, for example.) I don't have cable, but I do get Omni.

Sports in another language is pretty simple. Limited vocabulary. Player's names. Pictures help. I can watch hockey in French, no problem.

To my amazement, I found I could understand modern Greek way better than Portuguese. French and Italian were pretty easy and I could keep up in Spanish too. But Greek?

lagatta

• View Profile
FIFA World Cup
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2006, 07:22:15 PM »
Yep, sports are good for language learning. I'm studying German, and Deutsche Welle (the public broadcaster) has a lot about the World Cup (Weltmeisterschaft) on its site.

T&T (Trinidad and Tobago) aka the Soca Warriors are the side from the smallest country by far at the Mondiale, but Togo is a small country too, and probably the poorest: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/5038242.stm
Rosa Luxemburg

fern hill

• View Profile
FIFA World Cup
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2006, 05:01:55 PM »
Somebody just won. They are rootin' and tootin' on College Street.

suzette

• View Profile
FIFA World Cup
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2006, 08:38:48 PM »
*sigh* World Cup.  I love it!  And it's come so conveniently timed in my university holidays.  Bliss!

I didn't manage to see either of the games that have been played so far.  I stayed up late last night, my eyelids drooping, trying to catch some of the first one (starting at around 2am Australian time) but the opening ceremony kind of pushed me over the edge into the Land of Nod, despite the adrenaline rush of lederhosen and swinging beer steins.

Australia's qualified for the tournament for the first time since 1974, so the country's developed a sudden taste for The Beautiful Game.  It's not terribly popular here ordinarily--the local league has been struggling financially for years--so this may give the local game a welcome boost.  

I tend to choose favorite teams not so much for their country of origin, but the spirit in which they play.  Some teams just seem to be loving every second they're out there, whereas others are decidedly nasty and play in a mean spirit.  Not mentioning any names here. :)  For fun football, my favorites last World Cup were Brazil, Portugal and Spain.

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
FIFA World Cup
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2006, 08:56:14 PM »
goooaaaaallllll!!!!!!!!  :soccer
“Damaged people are dangerous. They know they can survive.” —  Josephine Hart

oldgoat

• View Profile
FIFA World Cup
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2006, 09:37:18 PM »
Debra, don't you have an article to be writing?  :P
"Res melius evinissent cum Coca"

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
FIFA World Cup
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2006, 09:57:06 PM »
:whis:  who me?
“Damaged people are dangerous. They know they can survive.” —  Josephine Hart

suzette

• View Profile
FIFA World Cup
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2006, 09:58:11 AM »
One of the aspects of international sporting events I enjoy is hearing the national anthems of the competing countries. Tonight's World Cup match: England v Paraguay. First anthem was England's, God Save The Queen. Urgh. What a dirge. We had to sing it at school and being a republican (small 'r') from way back, I have a special resentment of it. The English really should consider taking on Rule Britannia officially. Yes, I know it's about Britain rather than England, but in the context of the song it's the same thing. It's full of pomp and bravado, just as an anthem should be.

The atmosphere changed utterly when the Paraguayan anthem started up. Paraguayos, Républica o muerte! translates as Paraguayans, The Republic or Death! and in contrast to the title, was jaunty and fun. The Paraguayans in the crowd were jumping around, belting it out with gusto. Leaves Advance Australia Fair exposed as the shameful, limp, written-for-recorder music that it is. I have anthem envy.

Six minutes in to the match and England has scored already. That David Beckham, for all his silly tabloid courting, really can play football. He's come out onto the field with his hair all styled, and I can't help but worry about him. I have on several occasions raised a sweat in summer only to have any hair product I'm wearing run into my eyes and sting like all hell. Maybe he has a No Tears formula product?

fern hill

• View Profile
FIFA World Cup
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2006, 03:39:48 PM »
Official World Cup site: http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/06/en/

lagatta

• View Profile
FIFA World Cup
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2006, 11:43:35 AM »
England are playing Trinidad and Tobago right now. I know there is no chance of it, but how I wish Trini would win!  8)  8)  8)
Rosa Luxemburg

Mandos

• View Profile
    • http://politblogo.typepad.com/
FIFA World Cup
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2006, 12:21:01 PM »
Does anyone else here find "Tobago" to be a funny name?  It sounds like some kind of large rooty vegetable.  Like a cross between a turnip and a tomato.

Return To TAT