Author Topic: FIFA World Cup  (Read 66419 times)

lagatta

• View Profile
FIFA World Cup
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2006, 12:55:47 PM »
Never thought of that... So far T&T have kept it to nil-nil, at half-time. Trini almost scored a goal. Please ... just one little goal!  :soccer  :cat  :clap:
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

lagatta

• View Profile
FIFA World Cup
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2006, 01:48:08 PM »
Oh fuck England have scored. There goes the dream.  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

John_D

• View Profile
FIFA World Cup
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2006, 09:57:33 PM »
Quote from: lagatta
But what if some pink-skinned Northern team wins - the hometeam Germans, the bluidy English (note that the Celtic nations have their own sides), the Dutch?

Oh well, people will find some reason to party anyway.  8)  8)  8)  8)  8)

But what do you have against the Northern teams? We're a Northern country,  and about as pink-skinned as those you mentioned. I, for one, intend to root  for our bland, passionless Nordic cousins to continue pulling off 1-0 victories and then celebrating privately and quietly, with classy Protestant reserve!  

On Germany, on England, on Sweden! Go Swiss, go Dutch! The Mediterranean-Latino cabal of skill and excitement has run this game for long enough!  :lol:

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
FIFA World Cup
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2006, 09:59:05 PM »
and then celebrating privately and quietly, with classy Protestant reserve!

:rotfl:
“Damaged people are dangerous. They know they can survive.” —  Josephine Hart

shaolin

• View Profile
FIFA World Cup
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2006, 08:34:25 AM »
First anthem was England's, God Save The Queen. Urgh. What a dirge. We had to sing it at school and being a republican (small 'r') from way back, I have a special resentment of it.

We sang this every morning until I was about six, along with saying the Lord's prayer.  Then someone decided god shouldn't be mentioned in a public school, so we stopped.  When I mentioned this to folk in the UK they were shocked - they never sang it and I had to remind most of them of the words.

suzette

• View Profile
FIFA World Cup
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2006, 08:53:28 AM »
Brits who never sang God Save The Queen, eh?  Well, well.... who'da thunk it?  

I'll take this opportunity to have a very modest celebration of Australia winning their* match against Japan.  I do so because it'll likely be my last chance: the other two teams in the group are Croatia and Brazil. Still, it was interesting to see them play.  Who knows when I'll next have a chance?

There's a story behind Australia's qualifying.  Back in the early Seventies, when the Australian team were playing in Mozambique, the coach had the local witch doctor do something to help them win their next match.  They'd been struggling for some time until then.  The team won the game by a good margin, but the naughty coach then didn't pay the witch doctor.  Understandably, the witch doctor took umbrage at this and cursed the team.  They've been plagued by bad luck ever since.  

In 2005 a local documentary maker, John Safran, returned to Mozambique to make ammends on behalf of the team. Voila!  The team qualifies for the World Cup!  

Moral: always pay your bills.  

*Does anyone else find it a little silly that people refer to their national team as "we"?  "We won", or "We played really well".  I couldn't be sure, but I think I blush a little when I hear that.

lagatta

• View Profile
FIFA World Cup
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2006, 11:28:33 AM »
Argentina: 6 - 0 against Serbia & Montenegro (a country that no longer exists...). Los Pibes were just shooting goals in - rather an amazing feat. Strongest side so far. I phoned an Argie friend here, but she wasn't at home - no doubt she was in a café somewhere, enjoying an espresso laced with goals.
Rosa Luxemburg

lagatta

• View Profile
FIFA World Cup
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2006, 07:22:52 AM »
Here is a fun list of footie terms in different languages: http://football.guardian.co.uk/theknowl ... 58,00.html I like "Bundesliga" for the mullet - what we used to call "hockey hair" or "Coupe Longueuil" - mullet is a term from the US south that has made its way in the world.
Rosa Luxemburg

suzette

• View Profile
FIFA World Cup
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2006, 03:38:20 AM »
Lordy, lordy!  Australia won the match against Croatia!  Not that the lines were that clearly drawn, mind you: half the Australian team is Croatian, and half the Croatian team is Australian. Either way, the chaps with the yellow shirts did the good work.  And it was a total nail-biter, too!  So glad that I (against all odds) dragged myself out of bed at 5am to watch.

lagatta

• View Profile
FIFA World Cup
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2006, 04:06:55 PM »
Happy to report that the guy who marked the two goals for Germany is named Podolski. :)

Though disappointed that, despite the Slav Untermensch who'd make nasty old Adolf roll over in his grave if he had one, there are few POC on either Germany or Sweden's side.

Funny, in lefty things (antiglobalisation summits etc) a lot of the Scandinavians now are partly or completely of Latin-American descent, especially the children of exiles from the Southern Cone (Chileans, Argentineans, Uruguayans...) I wonder why there aren't more Turks or other somewhat "visible" immigrants on the sides. Usually sport is a means of integration or at least social promotion of oppressed groups, as in France., and of course, in Britain.
Rosa Luxemburg

fern hill

• View Profile
    • http://scathinglywrongrightwingnutz.blogspot.com/
FIFA World Cup
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2006, 05:00:19 PM »
Portugal wins. I am very glad I'm waaaay over here. Nowhere near Little Portugal. Magoo will be suffering.

John_D

• View Profile
FIFA World Cup
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2006, 05:15:14 PM »
Don't worry Magoo, with Portugal out two men to suspension, and one to injury, they'll be no match for the tepid English!

As a commentator said, it's beginning to look like the English will get to the semi-finals without ever actually having played well.  :lol:

pogo

• View Profile
FIFA World Cup
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2006, 11:01:34 PM »
Quote from: lagatta
Happy to report that the guy who marked the two goals for Germany is named Podolski. :)I wonder why there aren't more Turks or other somewhat "visible" immigrants on the sides.

Don't you have to be a citizen to play on the national team and aren't most Turks ineligible to become Germans?

lagatta

• View Profile
FIFA World Cup
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2006, 07:14:31 AM »
The law on nationality, while still somewhat short of the jus soli that exists in Canada and France, was made somewhat less exclusionary under the SPD - Green coalition governmetn.
Rosa Luxemburg

lagatta

• View Profile
FIFA World Cup
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2006, 11:55:06 AM »
So far no goals scored in the Italy-Australia match. It is VERY quiet around here.

At least I survived the idiotic Grand Prix weekend - simply didn't go downtown or down to the lower part of Saint-Laurent (the Main). There weren't many silly people in designer sunglasses or any scantily-clad cargirls around these parts, much to my relief.
Rosa Luxemburg

Return To TAT