Author Topic: FIFA World Cup  (Read 66424 times)

lagatta

• View Profile
Re: FIFA World Cup
« Reply #150 on: July 11, 2010, 02:05:25 PM »
An "oh dear" moment from BBC World Cup final coverage - quoting the Guardian:

Alan Hansen: an absolute _________ [fill in according to taste, bias, how many children are at your computer reading, etc.]. Nelson Mandela has turned up at the stadium to wave a bit at the crowd. All very nice. In the BBC studio, Hansen opines that Mandela is "an absolute legend". Football cliches don't really do service to decades of democratic struggle, do they?
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Croghan27

• View Profile
« Reply #151 on: July 11, 2010, 02:40:43 PM »
The (any) language fails when talking about Mandela. Should God herself arrive at the stadium as the  Espirito Sanctus, the aura would be less than the spiritus mondi in Mandela.  :applause
"It is also a good rule not to put overmuch confidence in the observational results that are put forward until they are confirmed by theory." -- Arthur Stanley Eddington

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #152 on: July 11, 2010, 06:55:31 PM »
Nelson Mandela riding down the pitch, alongside his wife Graça Machel, (herself a veteran of liberation struggles against Portugal). Frail old man waving more moving than all the strong young men defltly passing and kicking the ball... (and don't get me wrong, D.O.L. likes looking at them handsome young men )

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/jul/11/world-cup-final-nelson-mandela

Lots of horns out for Spain now.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #153 on: July 18, 2011, 10:12:58 AM »
Well, the Women's World Cup has given some long overdue joy to people in Japan.

Hey, shorties! I'm surprised the average hight of the Japanese side is only 1m62, as Japanese youth tower over their parents and grandparents. I knew they'd be smaller than the Yanks, but was expecting them taller than that.

The level of play and number of top-level sides has simply exploded. The next World Cup in Canada will be something to look forward to!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/jul/18/japan-womens-world-cup-reaction-joy
Rosa Luxemburg

sparqui

• View Profile
    • http://resettlethis.blogspot.com/
« Reply #154 on: July 18, 2011, 12:28:54 PM »
I'm so glad Japan won.  :applause

Their nation needed something uplifting to cheer about. The US team's prime motivation was to raise the profile (and funding) of women's soccer in the US. But you would think getting as far as they did would do that for them. I never understood the North American mindset of only being supportive of victors.
If my grandmother had wheels, she'd be a tractor. -- Gilles Duceppe

k'in

• View Profile
« Reply #155 on: July 18, 2011, 03:49:45 PM »
 :)) sparqui - I guess Toronto Maple Leaf fans would be the anomaly...generations of non-victors, yet hope springs eternal :leafs

I'm actually sort of happy/surprised that the U.S. media did get behind their women's soccer team.  I know it is slow season in terms of pro sports,and I'm pretty much tuned out right now,  but still,  I can't remember a time when women's sports (team or individua)l has received so much attention.   Hoping this will be a good thing in the long run for encouraging girls to participate in physical activity. 
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 03:50:26 PM by k'in »

sparqui

• View Profile
    • http://resettlethis.blogspot.com/
« Reply #156 on: July 18, 2011, 07:02:55 PM »
LOL k'in. Around here, Winnipeggers are already threatening that the Jets better be a decent team or else they will bleed support.

I also think it's great that the Women's FIFA tournament got so much coverage. It's great to see.
If my grandmother had wheels, she'd be a tractor. -- Gilles Duceppe

Return To TAT