Author Topic: FIFA World Cup  (Read 66420 times)

lagatta

• View Profile
FIFA World Cup
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2006, 01:24:45 PM »
The honking has started (Italy won 1-nil on a penalty kick). Some ijut has a SIREN rigged up on his car. Isn't that illegal?
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

HAHL

• View Profile
FIFA World Cup
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2006, 11:48:18 AM »
Quote from: pogo
Quote from: lagatta
Happy to report that the guy who marked the two goals for Germany is named Podolski. :)I wonder why there aren't more Turks or other somewhat "visible" immigrants on the sides.

Don't you have to be a citizen to play on the national team and aren't most Turks ineligible to become Germans?

It has nothing to do with being Turkish as Lagatta pointed out, Germany, Austria and I am sure several other countries require quite a lenghtly process for anybody, including one who resides there, to become citizens. People born in Germany et al. are Germans.

Re: German National Team , the team includes  David Odonkor, and Gerald Asamoah, both Germans with non-Central European names.

Why it should matter that the guy who marked two goals for Germany is named Podolski is beyond me, they were great and game winning for Germany! Besides, many German last names sound similiar to their Eastern European counterparts, one has but to look at all the former aristocratic 'Prussian' names, i.e. the 'uniters'  and founders of modern Germany!

The term 'slave untermensch' seems a bit much for someone who identifies himself with a particular nation? Seems to me that the whole region of today's North Eastern Germany has witnessed so many people movements that I would hesitate to try and speculate on 'true' ethnicity.
Where was I when the lights went out?

shaolin

• View Profile
FIFA World Cup
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2006, 11:52:37 AM »
Brazil has just gone two up on Ghana, despite Ghana dominating the half, and the second Brazil goal being way offside.  ARGH!!  :x

HAHL

• View Profile
FIFA World Cup
« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2006, 12:44:52 PM »
And ever onwards rumbles the old guard...The more the world Cup changes the more it remains the same.

HAHL

• View Profile
FIFA World Cup
« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2006, 12:54:02 PM »
Double post to post the score:

And there we have it 3-0 for Brazil.

shaolin

• View Profile
FIFA World Cup
« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2006, 12:56:50 PM »
It's too bad.  Ghana were looking good.  Lots of chances, no finishes.  It was good to see all the players so friendly to each other, though.

fern hill

• View Profile
    • http://scathinglywrongrightwingnutz.blogspot.com/
FIFA World Cup
« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2006, 01:00:36 PM »
It's over? It is strangely quiet here in Little Brazil. Of course, Little Brazil moves around some. I was quite surprised to find out during the last World Cup that I lived in Little Brazil.

HAHL

• View Profile
FIFA World Cup
« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2006, 01:04:56 PM »
Quote from: fern hill
It's over? It is strangely quiet here in Little Brazil. Of course, Little Brazil moves around some. I was quite surprised to find out during the last World Cup that I lived in Little Brazil.

Well Brazil is not such as small country, so I guess  relatively speaking 'little Brazil' can't be that small either! (Alternatively, they could all be in Germany?)

fern hill

• View Profile
    • http://scathinglywrongrightwingnutz.blogspot.com/
FIFA World Cup
« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2006, 01:15:02 PM »
Is Portugal still in? If so, that explains it. My neighbours don't turn Brazilian until/unless Portugal is out.

HAHL

• View Profile
FIFA World Cup
« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2006, 01:21:10 PM »
Quote from: fern hill
Is Portugal still in? If so, that explains it. My neighbours don't turn Brazilian until/unless Portugal is out.

Yes, after a very ugly match (4 red cards and 16 yellow) against the Netherlands on Sunday.

lagatta

• View Profile
FIFA World Cup
« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2006, 02:29:30 PM »
HAHL, I was agreeing with you, actually. Contemporary Germany has become very cosmpolitan, and as you say, population movements go back a long way - proving the absurdity of "racial purity" which some far-right groups (and not only in Germany and Austrai!) still claim.

More absurd and pathetic still is the neo-Nazi movement in Russia and Poland.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

lagatta

• View Profile
FIFA World Cup
« Reply #41 on: June 27, 2006, 03:05:27 PM »
HAHL, I was agreeing with you, actually. Contemporary Germany has become very cosmpolitan, and as you say, population movements go back a long way - proving the absurdity of "racial purity" which some far-right groups (and not only in Germany and Austrai!) still claim.

Rosa Luxemburg

HAHL

• View Profile
FIFA World Cup
« Reply #42 on: June 27, 2006, 03:41:35 PM »
Quote from: lagatta

My apologies if I sounded contrite or patronising, I must have misunderstood the tone of your initial post.

Yes, it is funny, because on so many papers and fanchat sites and so on, I have seen the argument, well really he must be 'Polish' with a name like that. Which, as I mentioned is debateable as many Prussian names had (and still ahve )-ski endings. Besides its irrelevant if he sees himself as German, and that is all I was trying to highlight.

aRoused

• View Profile
FIFA World Cup
« Reply #43 on: June 27, 2006, 05:00:56 PM »
Portugal play England this saturday.  Pick who you wish to hate?  :twisted:

I supported the Netherlands.  Damn.  Now I have to turn to the French to wind up the local Brits..
Give me a fast ship, for I intend to go in harm\'s way.

suzette

• View Profile
FIFA World Cup
« Reply #44 on: June 27, 2006, 05:19:22 PM »
Yes, after a very ugly match (4 red cards and 16 yellow) against the Netherlands on Sunday.
It was ugly, wasn't it?  Compellingly so!  I couldn't take my eyes off it.  The whole thing was just farcical, like watching hormonal schoolboys scrapping behind the bikesheds.  

Luis Figo seems to have a magnetic face at the moment: copped spikes across the moosh in the previous game, an elbow (was it an elbow?) in this last game and then head-butted someone.

Return To TAT