Author Topic: Down By Law  (Read 1122 times)

Down By Law
« on: September 04, 2006, 06:59:29 AM »
So we pulled out "Down By Law" by Jim Jarmusch.  I hadn't seen it in a while.  It was as entertaining, more entertaining really, as always.

Towards the end, I started to think that this movie is over twenty years old.  That it's a beautiful moment of cinema, ... that the actors sitting there had created this wonderful work with all the other workers and artists not in the camera's eye.  Then I thought that I was getting older and the world was changing.  New Orleans will not be the place it was in this movie.*  We all pass.  Works of art last longer, but still its inconsequential.  But this was a very sweet, funny, touching story.  I started to tear up.

I just wondered if anyone else likes it.

*Have to add: The Repugnicans want to turn it into a god-awful "Christian" Disney-Land version of "New Orleans," with some "Jazz Clubs" and a few black marching bands, ... a "colourful" tourist trap, surrounded by 100,000 wealthy white families.  Ugh.

It's what they are doing.  bush II's regime is actively taking advantage of the tragedy to turn it from a black, democratic-voting city, to a smaller, white, repugnican city.  And all the displaced can do whatever the fuck they want to, wherever the fuck else they go.

deBeauxOs

Down By Law
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2006, 08:28:48 PM »
That is one Jim Jarmusch film that I have not seen, strangely enough.  I have loved most of his work since Stranger Than Paradise.  There is a story-telling pace and an aesthetic that seem familiar to me, reminiscent of Don Shebib's Goin' Down the Road.

Return To TAT