Author Topic: Autumn harvest food thread  (Read 1838 times)

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
Autumn harvest food thread
« on: September 05, 2006, 01:17:48 PM »
Anyone have recipies for the squash, apples and other harvest fare soon to be gracing the shelves?  :autumn:
“Damaged people are dangerous. They know they can survive.” —  Josephine Hart

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2006, 01:27:46 PM »
I'm glad you wrote "soon", as it isn't autumn yet!

Fighting it tooth and nail for these few weeks!  :shock:
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Herr Magoo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2006, 01:52:30 PM »
It may not be fall yet, and I'm also resistant to fall (I think it's an old throwback wherein fall = back to school/hell) but I've already had two roasts.  A chicken two weekends ago, and a roast o' beef this weekend.

I went to Kensington, expecting to find all manner of roasts to choose from, but at Freshmart I had my choice between a coarse looking eye of round that looked like it had been cut from lumber, or a somewhat expen$ive prime rib.  European meats had brisket points (I'd still be cooking it) or eye of round.  Oriental Harvest (used to be Tai Kong) had nothing good looking, but finally the Asian grocery across the street had some nice little rib eye roasts, priced cheap.  I got a two pound roast, including lots of scrappy stuff, for $5.64.

When I prepped it, I had to remove lots of the scrappy silverskin and other inedible stuff, and when I was done the roast was pretty much butterflied (opened up like a mat), so I chopped up the good fat and sprinkled it on the inside face, added some thin-sliced garlic, salt and pepper, and rolled it back up and tied it off.  An hour and ten minutes, plus another 20 minutes resting, and it was fabulous.  Lots of taste, a bit of chew, but overall tender and moist.  The gravy was amazing too.  I'll be going back there.
ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø,

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2006, 03:14:37 PM »
More self-plagiarism from babble:

This is not a squash soup, although I'll bet you could make it with butternut chunks. It has been an October ritual for us for a long time.

Carrot Mulligatawny Soup

1 tbsp oil or clarified butter
1 large onion, chopped (oh, go ahead: add more)
1 clove garlic, minced (ditto)
2 tsp each: ground cumin, ground coriander
1 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp cayenne (or more)
1 lb carrots, sliced
4 cups stock (beef, chicken, or veggie)
1/4 cup light cream (optional)
chopped fresh parsley or coriander

In large heavy saucepan, heat oil; saute onion and garlic until transparent. Push onion-garlic mixture to one side and add cumin, coriander, turmeric, and cayenne to other side. Increase heat slightly and stir-fry spices for 2 to 3 minutes or until fragrant.

Stir in carrots until coated with spice mixture. Pour in stock and mix well; simmer, covered, over low heat until carrots are tender, about 40 minutes. Transfer mixture to blender or food processor and puree.

Return puree to saucepan and bring to a boil. Lower heat and stir in cream: DO NOT BOIL.

Ladle into warm bowls and garnish. Serves 6.

*NB: If you are not thickening with cream at the end, you might want either to increase the number of carrots -- and maybe onions -- that you use or to cut back on the stock.

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2006, 03:20:52 PM »
My mother was an expert in cooking butternut and winter squash, but, alas, I can't find her recipes.  :(

Return To TAT