Author Topic: Be Kind to Editors and Writers Month  (Read 5608 times)

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
Be Kind to Editors and Writers Month
« on: September 05, 2006, 02:38:43 PM »
Did you know that September is Be Kind to Editors and Writers Month?

Well, it is. I got that link from somewhere else, and it is only mildly funny as well as seriously out of date, but I enjoyed this:

The editor bolts up in bed in the middle of the night, flings open the window, and shouts: "It's 3 a.m. in the morning, and I don't care if that's redundant!"

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2006, 02:45:36 PM »
And September concludes with International Translators' Day, aka the feast of Saint Jerome (patron saint of translators and cat ownees).
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

fern hill

• View Profile
    • http://scathinglywrongrightwingnutz.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2006, 11:03:04 AM »
Huh. Well, someone should tell the *^)#$@( publishers about this.

I'm working on an index for a student's 'guide' to research and writing. Pretty straightforward stuff. Deadline is Friday. Then sweetie and I are going north for the first time this almost-over summer. We're both taking a week off. I'm nearly finished with the index.

Phone call from editor. Stop. Apparently the author hadn't seen first pages, now has second pages, and is pissed that stuff has been rearranged. Editor is going to write butt-kissing email, trying to convince author to leave it as is. But if unsuccessful, I'll have to start over.

In the meantime, editor wants to send me two more books of the same sort. I had told managing editor a couple of weeks ago that I'm taking next week off. The editor I'm talking to didn't know that. But he thinks it will be OK and is sending them to me anyway because managing editor isn't in today.

Oh, and the two new ones coming? They're first pages too, but editor thinks there won't be many changes. . .

:annoyed  :rant

Croghan27

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2010, 03:03:01 PM »
Every so often Robert Fisk goes into the English language. His column for today is about the abuse the poor communication tool gets from politicos and the attendant reporters.

In the Western context, power and the media is about words – and the use of words. It is about semantics. It is about the employment of phrases and their origins. And it is about the misuse of history, and about our ignorance of history. More and more today, we journalists have become prisoners of the language of power. Is this because we no longer care about linguistics or semantics? Is this because laptops "correct" our spelling, "trim" our grammar so that our sentences so often turn out to be identical to those of our rulers? Is this why newspaper editorials today often sound like political speeches?

Greenwald often speaks of the same phenomena - of how the 'deeply serious' thinkers 'inside the beltway' use the same 'properthink'.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 03:03:49 PM by Croghan27 »
"It is also a good rule not to put overmuch confidence in the observational results that are put forward until they are confirmed by theory." -- Arthur Stanley Eddington

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2010, 04:12:39 PM »
I think the problem is worst of all among the talking heads on TV. Odd that I, who have no TV, should say that, but it's all the more striking, maybe, to click through to a video at someone's blog when you haven't watched TV regularly for years, and to see just how far downhill the pundits have gone, American and Canadian both. The CTV personality whose name I don't know who interviewed Jack about Libby last week, eg -- utterly loaded, politically slanted questions, and persistent too, very close to "prove you don't beat your wife" (ie: worse than "when did you stop?"). I kept wishing that Jack would tell him he was a jerk and walk out, but I guess politicians think they can't do that. Love to see it though.

So many journalists now sound like the politicians themselves -- exactly. Why? Some of them want access -- that's especially true of the high-octane Sunday morning heads in DC -- but the creep has been underway long enough that many now probably just don't know any better. And then most are under some pressure from editors/producers who are themselves turning more conservative all the time.

There are interesting exceptions, o' course. Think of Antonia and Kady, eg. Some of the big-media bloggers have done their homework about the blogosphere and have wised up a bit, learned to talk a little more like real human beans, developed a little attitude.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 04:15:49 PM by skdadl »

N.Beltov

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2010, 11:16:37 PM »
Croghan27 - you may find this piece from a few years ago by Edward Herman (who wrote Manufacturing Consent with Noam Chomsky) interesting. It builds on Orwell's 1984 in the context of the present.

From Ingsoc And Newspeak To Amcap, Amerigood, And Marketspeak

But perhaps this is more interesting ... (from Gore Vidal)

'"We live in the United States of Forget. Nobody remembers anything."
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 11:26:26 PM by N.Beltov »

Croghan27

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2010, 07:43:36 AM »
Thanks for that, NB. I shall print it off and give it the attention it deserves.

That, plus a couple of editions of Terry O'Reilly's Age of Persuasion, will introduce crogh to some eduthink.
"It is also a good rule not to put overmuch confidence in the observational results that are put forward until they are confirmed by theory." -- Arthur Stanley Eddington

N.Beltov

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2010, 07:34:25 PM »
Yea, well thanks for that link as well. I'm in education and it just might come in handy.

Croghan27

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2010, 08:23:24 PM »
Quote from: N.Beltov;184206
Yea, well thanks for that link as well. I'm in education and it just might come in handy.

"I see by your black board that you are a teacher,
You can see by my black board that I'm a teacher, too.
You can see by our black boards that we are all teachers,
Get yourself a wikilink and be a teacher too."

:penguin1

Toedancer

• View Profile
Re: Be Kind to Editors and Writers Month
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2011, 06:51:52 PM »
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

Holly Stick

• View Profile
Re: Be Kind to Editors and Writers Month
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2011, 07:55:12 PM »
 :rotfl

(I really must vacuum; all this rolling around is raising a dust.)
Economics is a human creation, borders are human creations and nature doesn’t give a damn about these things. - David Suzuki

Return To TAT