Author Topic: Trees!!!  (Read 14049 times)

fern hill

• View Profile
    • http://scathinglywrongrightwingnutz.blogspot.com/
Trees!!!
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2006, 12:51:52 PM »
I've heard that the name 'tree of heaven' comes from the fact that they grow so fast, trying to get to heaven.

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
Trees!!!
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2006, 12:58:53 PM »
Hey, fern hill, don't scorn it. Lookie there: its bark is good for your bowels.  :)

deBeauxOs

Trees!!!
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2006, 05:30:19 PM »
Many varieties of Cottonwood trees are fast growing too, and do well in Canadian climates
It would surprise me though, if that species of tree survived in the kind of weather that the North Shore of the St-Lawrence sustains.  Look around BB, to see what the successful gardeners in your area have grown.  It appears that some types of evergreens are very hardy in your zone: Norwegian pine, black spruce, even some types of larch that shed their needles in the fall but in return, grow faster than the true "conifères".  Also if the local nursery is reliable and provides a guarantee for the trees they sell, they could give you good advice.

Boom Boom

• View Profile
Trees!!!
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2006, 06:23:00 PM »
Poplars and spruce are the most common varieties here. I spoke to the local contractor last night, he's agreed to be hired to transplant a field of (smaller) poplar and spruce for me. Both grow fairly quickly. And he'll bring a few loads of soil to build up the property a bit - it's low in some places. He has a few ideas to combat the shoreline erosion, as well.  My new place isn't very large, but it's mine, and it has potential. :)  I'm going to try and grow a Weeping Willow if I can find a plant in Sept-Iles for sale, although I'm concerned it may attract too many bugs. I wonder if there's a tree that actually repels insects?

fern hill

• View Profile
Trees!!!
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2006, 11:30:14 AM »
Gaaaah! The stinky tree (OK, mountain ash, as I've learned) is in full flower and maximum stink. AND my neigbour's cat is in heat. Caterwauling and cat-spray. AND I've got a hang-over. Poor me. . .

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
Trees!!!
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2006, 11:35:31 AM »
ignore that sound of laughter....hey who's doing that...no no it's not me.... 8)
“Damaged people are dangerous. They know they can survive.” —  Josephine Hart

fern hill

• View Profile
Trees!!!
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2006, 11:41:59 AM »
Cruel, Debra. Especially since you are the one who incited me to bad behaviour last night, causing me to have just one more, ok, just one more glass of wine. Cruel. I'd complain to a mod, but . . .

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
Trees!!!
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2006, 11:45:09 AM »
ah such a cruel vindictive slight on my character why I never... well maybe once or twice... :wink:
“Damaged people are dangerous. They know they can survive.” —  Josephine Hart

schooner

• View Profile
Trees!!!
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2006, 06:56:59 PM »
Aww... and here i've just recommended mountain ash to skdadl. Serves me right for being a month behind.

Favourite tree: aspen - lovely, soft, gentle aspen: the most delicate, ethereal green in spring; the mellowest, most lasting gold in autumn.

Perverse affinity: staghorn sumach. They're so damn tough, persistent and ubiquitous - the ultimate plebian of treedom. And they make a fine, sculptured silhouette at dusk.

Dogwood for the flowers and berries. Poplar for their voice and scent and colour. Elm for... but, no, one must not love an elm, because they'll die and break your heart.

Boom Boom

• View Profile
Trees!!!
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2006, 07:50:56 PM »
There's so much for me to do here that I could break the bank if I'm not careful. I think this summer I'll just finish with the painting and planting poplars and spruce. There's already a garden but the previous owner planted it and wanted to harvest it, and I don't feel like saying no, so I'll just help myself to half of it. I'm already planning a greenhouse for next year and will remove the outside garden entirely and use that soil in the greenhouse. The current garden is in a dumb location, anyway. I've also ordered some chilie seeds to plant indoors to see if they'll grow here. When I get to Sept-Iles in the fall, I'll look for more indoor plants, and maybe some exotic trees that will survive a fall transplantation and that could survive here.

pogo

• View Profile
Trees!!!
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2006, 08:03:54 PM »
Hanging on the wall in front of me is a picture of my favorite swimming hole.  Pilkey Point on Thetis Island.  On a narrow rock peninsula there is a a cedar.  Could be 100 years old, but it is less than 10 feet tall.  Exposed to the wind and sea forever it fights just to survive.

schooner

• View Profile
Trees!!!
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2006, 11:35:56 PM »
I wonder if there's a tree that actually repels insects?

Score another point for sumach: it's supposed to repel flies and mosquitoes, which is why it's encouraged to grow around livestock pens. Plus, the berries are said to make a refreshing drink and even wine (i've never managed to harvest enough, unglommedup by caterpillar webs, to ferment, but the little bit i pressed for 'Indian lemonade' tasted crappy, so i quit trying.)

Hazelnut and hemlock should do well in your area - one is useful, the other attractive. Juniper survives just about anywhere and grows fast (but gives a nasty rash if you prune it without safety attire.) Wild apples are nice; Russian olive is pretty and undemanding. If everything fails, plant hawthorn.

Return To TAT