Author Topic: What's For Breakfast?  (Read 44647 times)

Boom Boom

• View Profile
What's For Breakfast?
« on: September 08, 2006, 09:39:54 AM »
I've been freezing blueberries all summer, and this morning it occurred to me to put a handful of frozen berries in my pancake mix. Yummy!  The taste of the blueberries really comes through the pancakes and maple syrup. Using frozen berries retains the berry shape. :eat  :drool

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
What's For Breakfast?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2006, 09:59:54 AM »
yummmm
“Damaged people are dangerous. They know they can survive.” —  Josephine Hart

lagatta

• View Profile
What's For Breakfast?
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2006, 03:57:25 PM »
I made kasha...
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

brebis noire

• View Profile
What's For Breakfast?
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2006, 04:18:51 PM »
Breakfast favourites around here are French toast, oatmeal and buckwheat pancakes. The key to success of every one of these is real, local maple syrup.

I read in the Globe (I think) yesterday (I think) that children's breakfast cereals are basically candy. Yes, thank you, I knew that, but what I didn't and still don't know is whywhywhy are they allowed to be marketed and sold as food?

brebis noire

• View Profile
What's For Breakfast?
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2006, 04:19:39 PM »
Sorry. I feel like I just had a tantrum.  :(

kuri

• View Profile
What's For Breakfast?
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2006, 04:25:29 PM »
I had Alpix (Swiss cereal) with yogurt and a homemade latte. Or actually 1.25 lattes because I spilled the first one and made another while poor Leopold mopped the floor with his face still half covered in shaving foam. :(

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
What's For Breakfast?
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2006, 04:26:30 PM »
Somebody I know in Quebec once brought me the loveliest buckwheat mixture for pancakes ...   :wink:

These days, I often eat leftovers for breakfast. I'm probably mostly carb-oriented in the early morning, but I can do protein too.

Maybe tomorrow we'll do kippers. I think of kippers as the supreme breakfast, but they are a problem for me because the kitties all become activated at the smell, and I just can't let them have any.

lagatta

• View Profile
What's For Breakfast?
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2006, 04:51:57 PM »
Hmm, I can imagine the source of your crêpes de sarrazin mix...

I love those, but I'm more inclined to have them for supper, stuffed with mushrooms or something like that.  I've deliberately not been eating any sugar per se for the last couple of years (I slip very occasionally, but it is rare) though this morning I had a real craving for something sweet, and I don't mean fresh fruit!

brebis, everyone knew children's packaged "cereals" contained sugar, but saying that a serving contains more than a chocolate bar really drives the point home!
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

brebis noire

• View Profile
What's For Breakfast?
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2006, 05:04:47 PM »
brebis, everyone knew children's packaged "cereals" contained sugar, but saying that a serving contains more than a chocolate bar really drives the point home!

The problem is not the knowing, it's the getting something, anything, into kids' tummies before they go to school. Lots of kids refuse to eat in the morning (my kids don't have this problem but I know lots who do, and when I was a kid, I was the only kid I knew who ate breakfast.)

You just have to use sight and taste to know that there's waaaay too much sugar in breakfast cereal. The thing is, there is still a nutritional buzz around the box, with declarations of 'source of 7 essential nutrients' and 'made with the goodness of corn' and %s of vitamins down the side of the package - so a lot of parents are thinking, OK. I *know* this is sugary crap, but at least they're getting some carbs, nutrients and vitamins with the crap, and the kids won't stop begging for it, so I'll buy it....and it's trans-fat free!

But if we know, as a society, that it's crap - why the hell are we letting it be sold to anyone's kids as breakfast food??

Sometimes, stuff has to be enforced by laws for attitudes to change, n'est-ce pas?

fergawdsakes there are adults out there who still haven't given up their kiddy taste for breakfast cereals....

arborman

• View Profile
    • http://bohemiancoast.blogspot.com
What's For Breakfast?
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2006, 06:13:17 PM »
I recently discovered a Polish import - strawberry pyrogies.  Not jam in there, just yummy strawberries.

Yum.  Good breakfast.  The kid loves them too, though that's not saying much as he'll eat anything that's not moving.

Most days for breakfast we have one or more of the following:

1. Toast.  Ye olde standby.
2. Hot cereal - oatmeal, 'sunny boy' or some other variation
3. Eggs.  Kid loves, loves eggs.  Nice organic yummy eggs - usually scrambled or in an omelette (with veggies - sneaky daddy).
4. A banana or some other kind of fruit
5. Occasionally a bowl of cereal - not the candy stuff, more like shredded wheat or corn flakes.
The pleasures of the table are for every man, of every land, and no matter what place in history or society; they can be a part of all his other pleasures, and they last the longest, to console him when he has outlived the rest.

Timebandit

• View Profile
What's For Breakfast?
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2006, 06:29:11 PM »
Oh, I am so with you on this, brebis!  We get Honeycomb cereal once a year -- not to eat for breakfast, but as a snack when we're up at the cabin on holidays, usually served alongside carrots and fruit.  The kids don't even think about asking to have it for breakfast or at any other time of the year.  I have a close friend who still eats sugared cereals and so does his son.  I had to discourage the snack baggies of fruit loops from coming to our house...  Hard conversation to have, because you are essentially judging the choice, but trying not to be judgemental of the person and his parenting.  

We eat muffins (carrot or oatmeal with dates, raisins or berries) , whole-wheat toast (often with peanut butter), or bagel with cream cheese with side dishes of carrot sticks and/or fruit and organic yogurt on mornings where we are in a hurry.  If I have more time, we'll have leftover homemade waffles or saskatoon berry pancakes, oatmeal with cinnamon and apple chunks or some other hot cereal -- Red River cereal is a favourite.  Sometimes we have scrambled or soft-boiled free-range local eggs with toast, too.  

I notice, too, that the days where Ms B doesn't eat a lot of breakfast are the days where she has a harder time at school.  Consequently, we have become very insistent about eating breakfast, and she seems to have gotten more into the habit.  I hope she maintains it in the teen years...

eta:  I am intrigued by arbourman's strawberry perogies.  They sound delicious.
Whenever anyone has offended me, I try to raise my soul so high that the offense cannot reach it. -Rene Descartes, philosopher and mathematician (1596-1650)

Herr Magoo

• View Profile
What's For Breakfast?
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2006, 06:38:11 PM »
Sometimes, stuff has to be enforced by laws for attitudes to change, n'est-ce pas?

In this case, all the law could really do is compel kids to put the sugar on manually.

My cousin used to get Shreddies, which are fairly un-frosted as cereals go, but then he'd add spoonful after spoonful of sugar until it it heaped out of the milk like a little volcanic island.  Mission NOT accomplished there, Aunt Joan.
ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø,

lagatta

• View Profile
What's For Breakfast?
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2006, 06:39:33 PM »
Yeah, celebrity chef Jamie Oliver's "cool, macho" statement against parents who pack junk in pupils' lunches bothered me for a similar reason:

http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/health ... 372011.ece

Oliver is to be praised for raising the issue of nutrition, but once again seems dismissive of the many social and family problems people face - including kids who simply toss away "healthy" food.
Rosa Luxemburg

Boom Boom

• View Profile
What's For Breakfast?
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2006, 07:17:51 PM »
I watch Jamie Oliver occasionally - usually he's too fast for me to jot down any cooking tips.  Walking the dog ten miles or so every day (today I was tired and only managed about five) results in my being famished around 9 am. These days I have a full b'fast - toast, juice, bacon (a no-no for me, but all this exercise hopefully burns off the bad stuff) and half an egg. I had blueberry pancakes (see first post) today instead of a full b'fast, and I was happy.

Normally, on my own, I have just toast with bakeapple (cloudberry) jam, juice, and coffee. If it's a cold day, I'll have hot oatmeal instead. I love hot oatmeal with blueberries, especially.

anne cameron

• View Profile
What's For Breakfast?
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2006, 07:21:25 PM »
I have some kids cereal in the house.  Not usually for breakfast, they get it dry as a snack..sometimes... "if you're good"...I know I spoil them, my son doesn't get testy about it but he has given me some looks...but I think I "won" some kind of debate about treats and food when he said something about me putting half-and-half coffee cream on their oatmeal and I just gave him the ten thousand watt smile and said "This from the little boy who used to get ice cream and raisins on his?".  He stood there, staring, with the most unusual look on his face and then he laughed long and hard and said "Jesus, I REMEMBER that!".  The grrrrlfriends love poached eggs for breakfast...the "trick" is to cut the toast in strips.  It takes no time at all and they think they're being spoiled.  They also like "scotch eggs"...you deliberately break the yolk, fry them slowly with cheddar cheese slices on top.  Cheese melts all over the egg...that and a piece of left-over baked salmon belly from supper the night before and they're protein'ed up for the morning.  When I make the school lunches, which isn't all that often, I put in pieces of cheddar cheese, again cut in strips about a quarter of an inch square.  They think they're being spoiled with them, too!  I often hand out cheese for snacks when they come whipping in from outside looking for "something good".  And they LOVE it if I make cheddar cheese "fingers" and put them between two buttered crackers so the cheese pokes out both ends.  I don't know what it is about the "form" of the food but it certainly seems to help get half decent stuff into them.  They were getting tired of fish so when they were here a few days ago I used a cookie cutter on the cold leftover salmon flank, then put just a dab of mayonnaise in the middle... nobody was the least bit "tired of" fish that meal.  I guess they'll eat just about anything if you've turned it into a star or a teddy bear.  They just will NOT eat apple peel.  My kids did but I think I'm too old and too tired to fight that good fight so I let them peel their apples.   I figure Grandma's were put on earth to spoil kids and make them feel special.  I accept the karmic debt for the junk food treats, they don't get them all that often and I tell myself I make up for it with all the cheese and green grapes. (as if green grapes aren't reward enough in and of their own wondrous selves!!)  But I can hardly believe that MY grandchildren do not like fresh pineapple.  They must get that from their mother's side, eh??!!

Return To TAT