Author Topic: 9/11 thread  (Read 23684 times)

Corey

• View Profile
9/11 thread
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2006, 03:25:45 AM »
(Didn't really add anything, and kind of embarassing. Sorry.)

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
9/11 thread
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2006, 09:05:17 AM »
That latest statement from Olbermann -- that is not just a rant; that is a jeremiad.

Herr Magoo

• View Profile
9/11 thread
« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2006, 09:21:31 AM »
why did so many of us think "Cessna?"

I think, to protect our minds.  I don't know that they could have handled the immense shearing forces and stresses that would come with immediately comprehending everything that happened.

I recall it being very incremental.

"A plane?  A Cessna, right?  NOT a Cessna?  OK.  Wow.  But the people?  [pause]  But the building's going to be fine though, right?  WHAT THE FUCK DO YOU MEAN 'A SECOND PLANE'??"
ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø,

gunnar gunnarson

• View Profile
9/11 thread
« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2006, 10:16:28 AM »
Quote from: 'lance
[quote="gunnar gunnarson":a4zf3rr8]... my own stumbling curmudgeonly inadequately caffeinated way.

Hey, gunny, yer workin' my corner, there.

I suppose this place is big enough for two of us, but... I'm just saying.[/quote:a4zf3rr8]

Here, 'lance.   :coffee2  More than enough for both of us.

k'in

• View Profile
9/11 thread
« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2006, 11:07:37 AM »
pogge wrote:
Olbermann to Bush on 9/11 at Crooks and Liars.

Heh.  Last night on "Countdown" Olbermann had a segment bannered "War On Error".  I only caught a minute of it with Max Cleland.

Weird that msnbc is owned by General Electric-war being profitable & all...

edited 2 typos

fern hill

• View Profile
    • http://scathinglywrongrightwingnutz.blogspot.com/
9/11 thread
« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2006, 04:42:57 PM »
When I first landed at babble, in 2003 (?), I was reading around and hit the thread that was being made as events happened. Totally gripping read. Brought it all back.

I had a nephew living in NYC at the time, a very junior employee in an architectural firm whose job involved go-fering. He might be anywhere in downtown Manhattan. His mother called me in a panic. She didn't have Internet access, the phones were down, could I email him? She didn't remember the exact email address, so I was trying all the combinations of his name and domain name. Finally, he called and thought our worry was silly.

Didja see the Globe last weekend? Ker-rist. Every section, including Travel, had 9-11 stuff.

I am so sick of this public grief.

And right now, another opportunity for a 'this-could-happen-here' jamboree is developing in Montreal.

9/11 thread
« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2006, 06:01:19 PM »
Hey, fern is back! What are you doing here, fern? I thought you were going to spend a week without electricity.

fern hill

• View Profile
9/11 thread
« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2006, 06:06:14 PM »
sweetie never tells me anything. We had to vacate because another family member was coming up. So I'm back earlier and you have forced me, moi, fh, to DRIFT. Watch yer butt, eph.

9/11 thread
« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2006, 06:10:25 PM »
You couldn't stay with the other family member?

fern hill

• View Profile
9/11 thread
« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2006, 06:47:29 PM »
It's a cabin; what walls there are don't go to the ceiling. The alpha male of the tribe was arriving and would take the only bedroom. We would have had to move to the 'bunkie', aka 'the mouse house'.

'lance

• View Profile
9/11 thread
« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2006, 07:32:37 PM »
Quote from: gunnar gunnarson
Here, 'lance.   :coffee2  More than enough for both of us.

My dear chap. Thanks ever so.

My major stimulant back in 2001 was nicotine. The morning of Sept. 11, I probably smoked most of a pack, alternately watching TV and babbling. Then for some reason, getting on for 11 a.m. (Pacific time), I decided to go to work. Dunno why, to this day -- never got a stroke of work done that day, or the one following.

(It came as a relief, a couple of days later, to find myself wading about in a muddy siltation pond on a suburban construction site, under the hot sun, collecting sediment samples. A simple, physical task, outdoors with no media to hand and no-one talking to you, concentrates the mind wonderfully).

It seems in bad taste to say so -- or anyway it seemed in bad taste at the time -- but as if by some sort of pathetic fallacy, odd little things were happening on every side. As so often before and since, it occurred to me that the creators of The Onion are strict and careful realists.

The Starbucks near the closest bus stop was closed. It later emerged that (supposedly) all Starbucks in North America had closed early that day, as a "gesture of respect."

I owed a couple of bucks to the deli owner two doors down from the Starbucks, and decided to pay him back before jumping on the bus. He came out from the kitchen, his usual smiling self, we exchanged hellos, he took the cash and I left. Only as I did so did it dawn on me: he'd probably started baking at 5:00 a.m., and might not yet have heard the news. (Though of course he must have, from customers coming in if nothing else).

At the office, most everyone sat there pretending to work while actually watching Internet news feeds. I don't remember any conversations about the day's events taking place, either then or later.

That afternoon, I phoned my boss, who at the time was working in Calgary. He answered not from our company's office there, but from a nearby bar. The office was in a building owned by a subsidiary of the owners of the World Trade Center (or some such -- never did figure that one out), and they'd closed all their buildings that day, in case there were further attacks. So everyone went to the pub and watched TV news.

And so it went. And of course, throughout all this there were spurious and absurd stories coming in on every side, about truck bombs being discovered on Parliament Hill, planes being hijacked as they crossed Alaska and being forced by fighter jets to land in Whitehorse, and the like.

A person could be forgiven for thinking that for a few hours, the world, or anyway our part of it, had gone through some kind of looking glass, and all the usual rules were suspended. It was like some gigantic version of that "carnival" or "state of play" the Dadaists or Situationists or other such avant-gardists always used to go on about -- just a nightmarish Dark Side version, was all.

I. Animalia

• View Profile
9/11 thread
« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2006, 08:21:08 PM »
I purposely avoided the 5th anniversary observances of 9/11 but still managed to get my fill of flags 'n "God Bless America". This annual parade must be so irritating to those who actually lost loved ones five years ago.

Quote from: skdadl
That latest statement from Olbermann -- that is not just a rant; that is a jeremiad.

Made me look up "jeremiad" only to discover I needn't have. Perfect.

Who is this Olbermann and what kind of network is MSNBC? (scary name, btw) It's not on my television. Is it an obscure cable network with about 11 viewers or is it more of an internet thing?

I know what his favourite recent movie is.

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
9/11 thread
« Reply #42 on: September 11, 2007, 10:03:16 AM »
I quite like the weather we're having today -- overcast, light rain on and off, cool breezes but still not coat weather ...

It's a Tuesday again, but it isn't that clear-blue late-summer day of memory.

I must write to my old friend S. Her husband died in the late 80s, and she was just managing to rebuild her life in a new town when her d-i-l called that morning to say that only son had been at a trade show on the floor below the restaurant in the north tower. He'd been able to make one call out, and nothing since. I didn't learn that until the Friday following, and didn't speak to S until the Sunday. Grief cannot be expressed. I met him once or twice, when he was a teenager, an absolutely beautiful boy. He was 39 when he died -- two small children.

And then that human story was turned into an excuse to rampage abroad and to gut civil liberties back home, not just in the U.S. but here and elsewhere as well.

It is still a large story of many aspects, and it still needs careful historians.

Toedancer

• View Profile
Re: 9/11 thread
« Reply #43 on: March 09, 2008, 08:51:07 PM »
I know many of us have speculated about controlled demolition, but this vid totally creeps me out anyway. I mean check out the line of smoke down the spine thingy on each side (puffing out FIRST) and check out the bright sparks, it's a miserable miserable truth. The NW tower.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hB_WwVx9Vcs&NR=1 target="_blank
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: 9/11 thread
« Reply #44 on: March 10, 2008, 05:52:25 AM »
There are some interesting vids there that show controlled demolitions side by side with the collapsing towers, and I think the difference in the way the controlled demolitions work is pretty obvious. Those buildings don't come down the way the towers did, floor by floor from the top, or the weakened sections near the top. In controlled demolitions, there will be collapses started much lower, and the free-fall starts in several lower places. The top remains clear to the end and solid until the very end.

By contrast, you can see the floor-by-floor pancaking of the towers from very high up -- that's where the puffs of smoke are coming from. I assume the sparks are electrical shorts and such -- things would be exploding floor by floor for some way, anyway.

Return To TAT