Author Topic: Blogging makes a difference.  (Read 7719 times)

vickyinottawa

• View Profile
    • http://www.offhand.ca
Blogging makes a difference.
« on: September 12, 2006, 03:05:51 PM »
When I started my blog (http://www.offhand.ca), I hoped it would become a go-to place for commuity news, a place to discuss issues, and a testament to my wonderful neighbourhood.  That is, in addition to the personal soapbox aspect of blogging..... It's been over a year and a half now and I'm really starting to feel like we're having a bit of an impact.   At a campaign event a few weeks ago, a woman told me she'd always wanted to meet Miss Vicky - she'd even shown up at some of the things I've promoted and wondered who I was.  BUt I never really knew I was having much of an impact until I started writing about the impending closure of our local LCBO in favour of a big box outlet further away.  We put up a mailto link to the LCBO brass and I started getting copies of letters from folks I have never met, but who obviously read the blog and care about the 'hood.  Today there was a piece on the CBC about the closure, they added a link to my blog and I am getting even more hits.  
(see http://www.cbc.ca/canada/ottawa/story/2006/09/12/hintonburg-lcbo.html)  

I also got an email today from a local restauranteur giving me an update about their renovations and their reopening next weekend.   It's all very cool.

steffie

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2006, 03:20:05 PM »
Way to go, Vicky!  Great blog.
Let the beauty of what you love be what you do - Rumi

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2006, 03:27:43 PM »
Yay, vicky! Way to go!  :D

Let's hear it for The Hand. Best-dressed Hand in the blogosphere, too.   :clap:

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2006, 03:43:53 PM »
congrats!!!!

“Damaged people are dangerous. They know they can survive.” —  Josephine Hart

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2006, 03:45:31 PM »
Brava!

After all the "don't drink and drive" stuff, people shouldn't have to drive and drink.

Why the fuck do they assume everyone has a car?
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2006, 04:02:45 PM »
Debra, I am ...  agog.

You gotta show me how you do that.

And wot lagatta said too.

vickyinottawa

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2006, 04:15:42 PM »
Debra that is very cool!

Lagatta, it had not even occurred to the LCBO folks that people would walk to shop.  Bizarre.

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2006, 04:36:33 PM »
There's an LCBO in Ottawa on the corner of King Edward and Rideau that gets enormous business from walk-ins in the area, from car traffic (huge parking lot) and from the Quality Hotel across the street. I know, I stay at the Quality every time I'm in Ottawa. A quick dash across the street for, er, supplies and I'm all set. :oops:

vickyinottawa

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2006, 04:43:13 PM »
Indeed, yet there is still a smaller LCBO just down the road in the Rideau centre.  We pointed that out to them at the meeting.  Grrrrr.

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2006, 05:31:53 PM »
Wow - Ottawa is serious about booze!  :shock:  

Thread drift: I worked in the Bourque Building, Rideau at King Edward, and our Xmas parties were booze-soaked. I gather they've been cleaned up, since.

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2006, 07:10:39 PM »
Vicky, the Rideau centre LCBO isn't much more than five minutes' brisk walk from the big one... I was there when I was in Ottawa a couple of weeks ago (wanted to look in Eddie Bauer, and happily lucked out there, buying a silk camisole on sale for 9,95$, originally 59$ (!) ) Popped in to see if there was a bottle of wine I wanted for supper with the rellies; and as there was nothing that appealed to me I simply walked to the big one. Then back through the market...

If they want selling wine to be a government monopoly (I'm fine with that as it means staff having decent wages and conditions, and I suppose they are more serious about not selling to kids than our dépanneurs can be) - then they should make wine available in the same neighbourhood where people buy other groceries.  One of the main drawing cards for neighbourhoods like the one where Vicky lives (not to mention where I live, which is of course even more "urban") is that people can do their shopping on foot, go to cafés, etc.

Boom Boom, yes, I think office parties aren't what they used to be, in our day...

I won't even try to describe how they were in the labour movement and/or in the media, in the 1970s.  :shock:  :drunk  :stoner  :drunk  :hug  :drunk  :whis:  :champagne :beam  :hangover
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2006, 07:46:54 PM »
Yeah, our office parties wouldn't have been parties without the booze. Now I understand it could be a catered affair, very little booze, and exchanging of cards (not gifts).

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2006, 07:51:05 PM »
Sounds like a business meeting.
Rosa Luxemburg

deBeauxOs

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2007, 11:33:30 AM »
I'm posting a linkto a very kewl blog entry I just read at ProgBloggers.  It made me feel good.

It's a good place to post the link, because I want to get back to the original topic that Vicky started: How is blog writing part of the solution?  What does it change - and how?

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2007, 12:03:42 PM »
I have no idea whether my blogging makes a difference to anyone but me.

I do think that it always makes a difference when citizens begin to make noise. Politicians and lazy pundits have moved closer and closer over the last generation, I think, to a dangerous ideological claim -- that democracy = elections; nothing else matters; elect someone, and then for the next four or five years he gets to play perverted dictator. A surprising number of people believe that crap.

Bloggers don't, and quite rightly.

Return To TAT