Author Topic: Mc Donalds cares about your health, they say  (Read 18513 times)

aRoused

• View Profile
Mc Donalds cares about your health, they say
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2006, 09:38:55 AM »
Pahrump..population 33,000, technically high desert but sitting on a large aquifer, and about 35 miles *outside* the Death Valley park? I bet they've got a Pizza Hut too, those bastards..

http://www.pahrumpnv.org/demographics.htm
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&z=10&ll=36.188875,-116.269684&spn=0.499861,0.936584&om=1

PS: Nyah.  :wink:
Give me a fast ship, for I intend to go in harm\'s way.

kuri

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2006, 10:22:44 PM »
SOME of Britain's biggest food brands, including McDonald's, Nestlé and Kellogg's, are using "underhand tactics" on the internet to directly target children with their unhealthy products, according to a report.

Stung by moves to restrict traditional methods of selling junk food to children, such as TV advertising, the consumer group Which says companies are often turning to the less heavily policed internet.

Scotsman

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2006, 09:27:22 AM »
A bit of thread drift from your resident thread drifter: a few years ago I was visiting friends in Manchester, Liverpool, Chester, and Cheshire, and the castles in Wales, and saw a MacDonald's not far from where I was residing in Cheshire. So, completely out of curiousity, I went into the place, and asked for a Big Mac, just to compare it to what I had eaten back home. Verdict: it was dry. No moisture content whatsoever as far as I could tell. The only way I wanted to finish the thing was with a good swallow of cola. Then, a few days later, just before visiting yet another historical site near Chester, my companion insisted on buy herself and me a McD's Unhappy Meal. Yuck, is all I can say. Why do the Brits tolerate such a bastardization of MacDonald's products? I resolved that the only fast food I'd have over there would be what was already my favourite: fish 'n chips. Just for the halibut.  :wink:

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2006, 10:12:59 AM »
While standardised, fast foods are adapted to different national tastes, and in some places (certainly in France, as I recall) sandwiches are often much "drier".  

The Montreal Gazoo is running a series on obesity, and along with a salient explanation of the harm done by fructose and a lack of fibre, it also contains a good retort about the hectoring one hears blaming overweight people for their supposed gluttony and sloth:

utton and a sloth. You eat too much and you exercise too little."
Lustig says. But he argues few people, if any, choose to be obese — and certainly not children — and that there is a physiological underpinning to "gluttony and sloth."
Humans evolved to survive starvation, not to resist extra-cheesy deep-dish pizzas and bacon double cheeseburgers. Our hunter-gatherer ancestors sought out energy-dense foods high in fat, starch and sugar.
Those who survived the seven-year famine "were the greedy ones who got a little bit fat beforehand", says Dr. Steve Bloom, head of the division of investigative science at Imperial College London.
"The ones who weren’t greedy and didn’t grab the last crust of bread were the ones who died, and therefore their genes are no longer in our gene pool," Bloom said in an interview.
The problem today, Bloom wrote in an article in New Scientist, is food "is freely available and the good times just keep on rolling."
"The odd thing is that we are not fatter," Bloom says. "Most people only maintain their weight by conscious and continuous restraint."A recipe for obesity
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2006, 10:38:18 AM »
It is a shame that two separate problems -- substances that may be genuinely bad for us, and serious measures of what makes a healthy body -- keep being all tangled up in partisan arguments that assume too direct a relationship between them.

Maybe we should stop talking vaguely of "fast" foods and be careful to be precise about what is junky about them. Some are not especially junky; some could be made less junky; and so forth.

It is possible, of course, that the way we eat affects the way we metabolize our food -- ie, the slow-food movement may have a point there about all eating-on-the-run.

But it is also important to confront the doctors on their muddy definitions of obesity. How well founded are their standards of the healthy body? We know that we have all been deeply influenced by fads and fashions about modern body shape; we also know, as Dr Lustig (great name!) says, that most people have never been shaped that way, and that our shapes are more deeply rooted in evolutionary terms than they are in the appearance of junk food, dangerous though junk food may be.

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2007, 09:54:01 AM »
Charles calls for McDonald's ban

Eliminating fast food is the key to improving diets, Charles says

Feb 28, 2007 04:30 AM

LONDON–Prince Charles suggested yesterday on a visit to the United Arab Emirates that banning McDonald's fast food was crucial for improving people's diets, a British news agency reported.

Charles made the comments while visiting the Imperial College London Diabetes Centre in Abu Dhabi for the launch of a public health campaign, The Press Association reported.

"Have you got anywhere with McDonald's? Have you tried getting it banned? That's the key," Charles was quoted as asking a centre nutritionists.

- snip -

Last year, McDonald's took steps to display nutrition facts on its packaging and vary its menu to counter charges that its food is unhealthy and contributes to obesity. There are 25 franchises in the United Arab Emirates.

PS: last time I was in the UK, I tried some McD's burgers. The lettuce was wilted, and the meat was as dry as cardboard. Very little sauce. Lousy burgers, even compared to McD's in Canada.

Berlynn

• View Profile
    • http://politicsnpoetry.wordpress.com
« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2007, 02:05:56 PM »
Wow!  I can't believe Chucky actually said that!  Rotten Ronnie's will be after Windsor Palace to strike that remark from the record, I'm sure!
Never retreat, never explain, never apologize--get the thing done and let them howl.  -- Nellie McClung

Herr Magoo

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2007, 02:35:16 PM »
Either that or they could name a burger after him.

The "Windsor" burger.  It's made with 100% "chuck", it's an alright burger, but no matter how much it tries, it'll never be Burger King.
ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø,

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2007, 03:03:08 PM »
:rotfl:
“Damaged people are dangerous. They know they can survive.” —  Josephine Hart

Berlynn

• View Profile
    • http://politicsnpoetry.wordpress.com
« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2007, 02:43:53 PM »
double that, with cheese, please!

Never retreat, never explain, never apologize--get the thing done and let them howl.  -- Nellie McClung

Boom Boom

• View Profile
Re: Mc Donalds cares about your health, they say
« Reply #40 on: October 30, 2010, 10:56:45 AM »
Voter Intimidation At McDonald's: Employees Told That, Unless Republicans Win, They Won't Get Raises Or Benefits    :mad2

ETA: the article says it's just one franchise owner, but can that statement be trusted?
« Last Edit: October 30, 2010, 11:00:17 AM by Boom Boom »

Antonia

• View Profile
    • http://thestar.blogs.com/broadsides/
Re: Mc Donalds cares about your health, they say
« Reply #41 on: October 30, 2010, 05:05:27 PM »
Is that legal?
It is when we all play safe that we create a world of utmost insecurity. It is when we all play safe that fatality will lead us to our doom. It is in the "dark shade of courage" alone that the spell can be broken.
-- Dag Hammarskjöld

Return To TAT