Author Topic: Food alerts  (Read 29123 times)

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
Re: Food alerts
« Reply #120 on: March 06, 2010, 12:21:26 PM »
Anyone know what the difference is between hydrolyzed and hydrogenated? (I know that hydrogenation produces teh trans fats.)

brebis noire

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: March 06, 2010, 12:30:29 PM »
Hydrolysis adds water to break down a compound; hydrogenation adds hydrogen atoms to saturate a chain of carbons, so that a fat that's liquid at room temp will become solid.

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 06, 2010, 12:36:49 PM »
Yes that is so, also partially hydrogenated refers to a type of fat called trans fat in which liquid fat such as corn oil is changed into a solid fat. And I'm guessing that hydrolyzed protein is broken down into an amino acid that the body can use better.

So it's the hydrolyzed flavour ingredient that contains salmonella? Shite.
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 02, 2011, 07:24:31 PM »
Well now that this unheard of type of E-coli has now infected 2 Americans (that we know of) we can say it has gone viral.

More than 2,000 others have so far been infected in 10 countries from eating contaminated vegetables.

E-coli originates from cattle.

EU looking for some country to blame
:confused

« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 07:28:42 PM by Toedancer »
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

Toedancer

• View Profile

Croghan27

• View Profile
« Reply #125 on: June 03, 2011, 04:33:24 PM »
Not known why this *new* strain of e-coli predominantly affects women

Economic fallout is going to be ginormous

Hmm...

Turns out that spanish produce had nothing to do with the outbreak at all. In fact, raw veggies probably did not. Teh Spanish farmers are no end of pissed and so is the spanish gov't - they plan to sue the germans.
"It is also a good rule not to put overmuch confidence in the observational results that are put forward until they are confirmed by theory." -- Arthur Stanley Eddington

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: June 10, 2011, 02:54:50 PM »
It was the bean sprouts from an organic farm but not a word about how the seeds became contaminated in the first place.

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: October 12, 2012, 11:17:11 AM »
Along with XL beef from Alberta, and a brand of popcorn from the USA, there's a recall of cereal and Romaine lettuce this week. Scary.  :o

ETA: I rarely buy Romaine lettuce here, as it's wilted by the time it reaches us. Even iceberg lettuce spoils quickly here, as it takes a while to get here by container ship from the supermarkets in Sept-Iles.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 11:49:03 AM by Boom Boom »

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: October 12, 2012, 12:06:20 PM »
GMO labelling:

USA:  California GMO Labeling Law Makes It Onto November Ballot

excerpt:

If passed in November, Prop. 37 would make California the first state in the U.S. to require labeling of most foods made with GMOs.   Given the size of California, such a law would become a de-facto national law because many retailers and manufacturers follow the most strict law in every region to make production simpler.  In 50 countries around the world, GMO labeling is already law. The state of Alaska is the only state in America that requires GMO shellfish and fish to be labeled, and it is the only state that has any kind of stipulation on labeling.

According to LabelGMOs.org, the organization responsible for getting the initiative on the ballot, it is time for Californians to stand up for their right to know. According to recent surveys, about 90 percent of Californians are in support of the GMO labeling.

Because over 90 percent of us want our foods labeled. We believe our right to know what we are buying and feeding ourselves and our kids supersedes corporate rights to a nontransparent profit. We are tired of elected officials buckling to corporate pressure over the clear desires of us, their constituents. We are outraged that we don’t have the same right that over 40 percent of the world’s population has: A clear, transparent market with genetically engineered ingredients disclosed in a simple, easy-to-read way.

Three-quarters of U.S. Senators rejected a federal GMO labeling bill earlier this year. Since then, nearly 20 states have had similar bills turned down in Congress.  All this is in spite of the fact that GMO labeling was one of President Obama’s campaign promises.

Canada:

Greenpeace Canada: GMO foods

excerpt:

GE food has been in grocery stores since 1996, but no long-term tests have been done on the impacts on human health. Potential health risks include the development of antibiotic resistance, allergic reactions, nutritional changes and the creation of toxins. GE crops also threaten plant diversity, essential for food security.

We want better labelling of GE foods so consumers can make informed decisions. Canada and the United States are the only industrialized countries that do not have mandatory labelling regulations in place.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 12:08:15 PM by Boom Boom »

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #129 on: November 28, 2012, 11:12:03 PM »
This is just criminal! XL Foods/CFIA

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/beef-inspectors-told-to-turn-blind-eye-to-contaminated-carcasses-1.1058234

Beef inspectors told to turn blind eye to contaminated carcasses for Canadians, but anything going to Japan was to be clean of feces![/size]

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: November 28, 2012, 11:54:05 PM »
Probably the same directive applied everywhere in Canada where beef was processed. After last summer, why is anyone still eating beef? (I had two halibut steaks tonight, given to me after I helped out a neighbour in a power outage).

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: November 29, 2012, 08:19:18 AM »
Boom Boom, I love halibut, and the halibut I buy is caught in Eastern Québec, but it is very expensive and an occasional treat.

I dunno, habit? For many people, a "real" meal still revolves around red meat. And I think mass-produced feedlot beef is about the cheapest of that, no? I never buy beef, but friends who do buy beef buy it from a nearby halal butcher who has his animals butchered locally.

It certainly shows a murderous contempt to Canadian consumers.

Not to mention the cattle, of course...

Quickly looking up "why is beef so popular", this Guardian Word of Mouth article on the resurgence of steak. Note that steak is even more expensive in the UK, without large grazing lands in the UK or anywhere in western Europe; a lot of it is imported from the Americas: Canada, US, Argentina.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2012/sep/11/britain-a-steak-to-the-heart

Here is a Canadian article/podcast, from the Tyee: http://thetyee.ca/Life/2008/07/05/CultureOfMeat/
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 10:34:07 AM by lagatta »
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Return To TAT