Author Topic: BnR Calendar Grils and Byos  (Read 47358 times)

Boom Boom

• View Profile
BnR Calendar Grils and Byos
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2006, 08:48:24 PM »
Calendar Girls appealed mainly because they were older women.  Aside: I visited a gf in Washington a few years ago who gave me a calendar similar to that shown in  Calendar Girls; I wish I kept it. (Why did my gf have the calendar? She brought up several to give to friends - and to contribute to the calendar's charity).

gunnar gunnarson

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2006, 10:00:53 PM »
Me nekkid?

I fear this might be the reaction.

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2006, 04:37:46 AM »
Hold the phone! Who signed me on?

Calendar Girls appealed mainly because they were older women.

Yeah -- older women who just happen to be Helen Mirren, eh?

No way, although I have thought it was a cute idea whenever anyone else has done it. The English ladies were first, but they have inspired others -- there was a group on one of the islands between Vancouver and VI (what does one call those islands?) who did a calendar to raise money for some environmental battle or other. They posed artfully with their trees and so on -- the photos were really quite beautiful.

If I somehow regain pneumatic qualities in the next few weeks, I'll get back to you, but that would take a miracle, I fear. Gravity, damn gravity. It's gettin' me down.   :wink:

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2006, 06:35:29 AM »
Quote from: skdadl
Gravity, damn gravity. It's gettin' me down.   :wink:

One for the Hall of Fame. :lol:

steffie

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2006, 07:30:32 AM »
the islands between Vancouver and VI (what does one call those islands?)

Well, my mom lived on Denman Island, and another was Hornby.  But there is a proper name for this area.  Just can't put my tongue on it right now.
Let the beauty of what you love be what you do - Rumi

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2006, 07:34:43 AM »
Well, they can't be the Channel Islands (that's Britain-France). Are they the Gulf Islands?

chester

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2006, 10:38:47 AM »
yes, they are the Gulf Islands

'lance

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2006, 01:09:00 PM »
Quote from: Debra
Quote from: 'lance
Quote from: thwap
Just use David Hasselhoff's picture for me.  I look pretty much like him.

And in my case, Colin Firth's, since I look pretty much like him (as both skdadl, and my darling wife, will attest).

:drool

I admit, I was being sarcastic, there. Have I not told the True Story of our (mine and the Divine Ms M's) First Meeting with Skdadl? Very well, then...

We arranged to meet her in the afternoon in an out-of-the-box Oirish pub in Calgary. After a good two minutes or so of conversation, one or the other mentioned the BBC "Pride and Prejudice," starring... well, you know.

They looked at each other with a wild surmise and said, as one, "Colin Firth... yummy!"

And they were off. I couldn't get a word in. But after a while I wasn't sure I wanted to, because they were discussing Mr. Firth's supposed charms in near-clinical, not to say lascivious, detail. I might as well not have been there, so I sloped off.

Some hours later, having come out of their shared, lust-induced trance, they found me slumped at the bar, staring into the bottom of my second pint of Guinness -- which is to say, sloppily and embarrassingly drunk. And maudlin and depressed, to boot, asking the bartender, and anyone who'd listen, and some who wouldn't, "Whash he got that I ain't got? Eh? Why, that moviestar ashhole..."

They poured me into a taxi before bidding farewell with tearful hugs and promises of eternal fealty, like two best-friends-forever high-school grils. I woke up some time that evening, sprawled in bed and with tiny invisible leprachauns whaling away at my temples with sledgehammers (served me right for sneering about the "fake-Irish" pub) -- but it was some considerable consolation that the DMM had thoughtfully applied cold compresses to my head. And that she hadn't, after all, left me for Colin Firth -- or for skdadl, if it comes to that.

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2006, 05:16:25 PM »
That is SUCH a sanitized version of what really happened. I mean, like, TOTALLY. He left out the pistols-at-dawn part and the daggers-drawn part (at some point 'lance decided he had to defend our honour), and the cops and the ambulances and the fire department and the front-page story the next day -- and that's just for starters.

Boy, you shoulda seem the other guy.   :D

And you shoulda heard my brothers and sisters and above all, the s-i-l!   :shock:

'lance

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2006, 05:20:16 PM »
Quote from: skdadl
And you shoulda heard my brothers and sisters and above all, the s-i-l!   :shock:

No doubt. The I-told-you-so crowing! They warned you, didn't they, that anyone you met via the Internet (oh, my paws and whiskers!) was likely to be a debauched rogue, at the absolute best -- and at the very worst, so evil and craven that... but words fail me. Anyway: how right they turned out to be.

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2006, 05:26:08 PM »
Oh, well -- I wouldn't go that far, 'lance.

In my experience, it is never a good idea to admit that my brothers and sisters and especially the s-i-l are right, even when they are.   :wink:

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2006, 06:14:47 PM »
Why can't Brebis just give Skdadl's cats some knock out drops and then drape them around Sk's naughty bits? I ask you, why not?
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2006, 06:16:14 PM »
:lol:

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2006, 06:19:21 PM »
Yeah, six cats would be plenty to cover any trace of the ravages of time... :cat :cat :cat :cat :cat :cat

I'd have to borrow some ... within my co-op there are enough. Cats and bicycles are pretty much mandatory membership criteria here.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

fern hill

• View Profile
    • http://scathinglywrongrightwingnutz.blogspot.com/
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2006, 06:26:03 PM »
OK, we're up to July by my count. Me, eph, Boom Boom, Luke (I think), suzette, plus skdadl and lagatta with strategic cats.

Need five more. Or six if I'm not right about Luke.

Return To TAT