Author Topic: Harold McGee: Food science  (Read 1774 times)

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
Harold McGee: Food science
« on: September 24, 2006, 03:42:00 PM »
Has anyone here ever read Harold McGee's books On Food and Cooking (apparently an original and a new one)?

He hath a blog, here,            where he talks about food and science. I'm just reading many enthusiastic endorsements of his work on another list.

rinne

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2006, 08:32:40 AM »
I found this at the link you provided skdadl:

Wednesday, August 9
Organic vs. conventional agriculture: stressed syrah grapes

Stress on our food plants may be hard for the plants, but good for us. Scientists are now studying the biochemical effects of agricultural practices in great detail, and one consistent finding is that plant stress--from insects, heat, sunlight, water and mineral deficiencies--can induce plants to produce higher levels of antioxidants and other phytochemicals that may be good for human health. Organic agriculture, with no pesticides or mineral concentrates, usually exposes crops to more stress, and its produce is usually higher in phytochemicals. Now, in a study of syrah grapes grown near Chateauneuf du Pape in southern France, French scientists have found higher levels of antioxidant anthocyanin pigments in the conventionally grown crop. They attribute this to the possibility that, because the grapevines were already severely stressed by heat and drought, the spraying of pesticides constituted an additional, chemical stress. If this theory is correct, then pesticides may sometimes contribute more to human nutrition than just higher crop yields and less expensive produce.

I was finding it interesting until I read that "pesticides may sometimes contribute more to human nutrition...", that I find LOL funny.  It was done so cleverly too by linking the benefits of organic agriculture and conventional as both benefitting us nutritionally.  Isn't science wonderful, studies are shaped everyday to lie.

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2006, 08:50:10 AM »
Oh, dear. That does not sound promising, does it.   :shock:

brebis noire

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2006, 09:02:53 AM »
What annoys and bores me the most about food science experts is when they pick things apart into the separate chemical components, especially the teeny tiny ones, and analyze them separately both in terms of where they come from and how they are metabolized in our bodies. I'm sure that all of these molecules are very useful to us at a biochemical level, and I'm happy about the way we know so much about biochemical processes, but speculation like that seems kind of irresponsible, to say the least.

Return To TAT