Author Topic: Harvest Dinner  (Read 34814 times)

Boom Boom

• View Profile
Harvest Dinner
« Reply #90 on: October 08, 2006, 07:14:05 PM »
Leftovers here today, as I cooked the chicken Friday. Can't believe the stores forgot to order turkey for this weekend. Leftover soup, gravy, and fries. Maybe I'll do something tomorrow - fish, maybe. I spent the day cleaning the dog hair and sand out of the house. Now I have a clean house,  but no dog (owners picked her up last night). Sigh. :(

Herr Magoo

• View Profile
Harvest Dinner
« Reply #91 on: October 08, 2006, 08:31:56 PM »
Sorry to hear about the dog.  I doubt most pets understand much English, or any other language, but the few times Mrs. Magoo has been gone, I'll talk to the cat in full sentences anyway.  Both dogs and cats seem to have developed the skill of looking like they know just what we mean.

The duck turned out glorious.  I intentionally gave it some extra oven time, because I wanted it all to fall off the bone.  The gravy was nice (I cooked it without anything in the pan, so I could save the fat, but I added a finely diced shallot and some finely chopped mushrooms, along with two star anise, to a bit of leftover fat and made gravy from that).  A few boiled and riced potatoes, and some Korean cabbage and we had another few things to be thankful for.

On New Year's Eve, we sit and drink sips of champagne while rhyming off any events, people or things from the previous year to be grateful for, otherwise we'd be doing it now.  All the same, thanks, Universe.  It was pretty good, and could have been worse!
ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø,

fern hill

• View Profile
    • http://scathinglywrongrightwingnutz.blogspot.com/
Harvest Dinner
« Reply #92 on: October 09, 2006, 10:33:54 AM »
Our communal, three-person, dinner was last night. My punkin pie didn't quite work. Pastry was good, but I tried to make the filling 'lighter', with 1% milk and only one egg. It didn't set properly. Tasted good though. Similarly, sweetie's (mother's) stuffing tasted great but was too wet. The turkey was fabulous, and a good thing too, coz there is a lot of it left.

Funny thing was pal. Her house, her kitchen. And she is a fabulous cook. When sweetie and I are invited for dinner there, we watch. This time though we were motoring around her kitchen, opening drawers and cupboards. It was bugging her. So I started teasing her and she chilled.

A good time was had. After dinner, she brought her laptop to the dining room table to show us pictures of Rome and Florence. She returned from a trip last week. Then we got out a big map of Rome, spread it on the floor and remembered our trips together. One of pal's cats decided to sit on the Vatican. We called her map cat.

Nikita

• View Profile
Harvest Dinner
« Reply #93 on: October 09, 2006, 11:52:15 AM »

Happy Feast everyone!  It sounds like everyone is enjoying their feasts and get togethers.  We had our feast yesterday and I was put on pie detail.  I don't want to brag or anything... but they may have been my best pies ever.  I made the crusts extra thick, so they're nice and chewy but still flaky.  I made a blueberry (it was unfortunately made with canned berries, but still very good with cream on top), a pumpkin, and a chocolate.  The pumpkin was the highlight, IMHO, I added a dash of organic maple syrup into it, and about an extra teaspoon of spices.  And for once in my life, I didn't burn the top of the pie!  The rest of the feast was good too, turkey and potatos and stuffing, etc.

We ate a bit earlier than usual, and after dinner went to see the Trailer Park Boys Movie since I believe the best way to digest a lovely turkey dinner is lots of laughter.  ;)

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
Harvest Dinner
« Reply #94 on: October 10, 2006, 07:45:21 AM »
Is that a photo of your pie, Nikita? Did you make those little pastry leaves? Very nice.

And fern hill: about the cat that sat on the Vatican: if a cat may look at a queen, I assume she can look at the pope.  I also assume the Vatican is filled with cats -- lagatta tells us that the rest of Rome is.

shaolin

• View Profile
Harvest Dinner
« Reply #95 on: October 10, 2006, 08:04:50 AM »
Thanksgiving flew by without me noticing, as there's no such thing in Scotland or Slovenia.  But, now that the composition of my vegetable box is changing, it might be time for my own harvest meal!

Today there was a big bag of parsnips waiting for me in my veg box.  Any tasty ideas for them??

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Harvest Dinner
« Reply #96 on: October 10, 2006, 08:19:11 AM »
You wouldn't like my favourite recipe for parsnips, shaolin -- it involves  draping bacon over them ...

You can either steam or roast parsnip sticks, although you'll want to figure out a nice kind of fat to help them to brown up a bit. Cut into coins, they are wonderful in soups and stews.

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
Harvest Dinner
« Reply #97 on: October 10, 2006, 08:30:26 AM »
http://www.botanical.com/botanical/mgmh/p/parsni12.html

Parsnip Curry

Recipe By: Nikki & David Goldbeck, "American Wholefoods Cuisine";
Serving Size: 4

* 1/2 cup chopped onion
    * 1 tablespoon oil
    * 1/2 teaspoon cumin
    * 1 teaspoon chili powder
    * 1 1/2 teaspoons turmeric
    * 1/2 teaspoon cayenne -- more for spicy curry
    * 1/2 cup water
    * 1/2 teaspoon salt
    * 1 pound parsnips -- peeled and cubed
    * 1/3 cup green peppers -- cut into thin strips
    * 1/4 cup chopped peanuts

Saute onion in oil in a 1 1/2 quart pot for 5 to 8 minutes until golden.
Add spices and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
Add water, salt, and parsnips, bring to a boil, cover, and simmer over low heat for 20 to 30 minutes until vegetable is tender but not mushy.
Sauce will become quite thick.

Garnish with pepper strips and peanuts before serving.
“Damaged people are dangerous. They know they can survive.” —  Josephine Hart

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Harvest Dinner
« Reply #98 on: October 10, 2006, 09:01:09 AM »
Ooh! Thanks, Debra. I would like that.

Return To TAT