Author Topic: All Pink'd Out On Breast Cancer?  (Read 18487 times)

fern hill

• View Profile
    • http://scathinglywrongrightwingnutz.blogspot.com/
All Pink'd Out On Breast Cancer?
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2006, 09:05:33 AM »
Colour me sceptical. In the movie biz, when percentages are promised, there is very often some creative accounting done so that on paper a movie makes no money or very little. This 'pinkwashing' is voluntary, so a company can say, 'Well, we said a portion of the sales, and that is of course after expenses, and expenses include all this advertising and overhead and and and. . .' OK, I should go look. See if the Cancer Society lists corporate donors, or donors from specific products.

suzette

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2006, 09:10:32 AM »
You're quite right, of course, fern.  I fancy I'm the same shade as yer good self.  Where my envy comes in is the breadth of publicity, and the fuzzy, feel-good factor.  Fuzzy feel-goods fund no research, etc, but they do raise awareness and lessen discrimination, something we long for in the HIV world. It's a big thing.  As one of our HIV-positive clients said recently, "Faggots, junkies and whores just don't warm the public heart, do they?"

ETA: It's odd, don't you think, that charities are in snarling competition with each other for the donation dollar?  It's true, though.  Elbows are sharpened as the change tins get a-rattlin'.

fern hill

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2006, 09:19:20 AM »
Did you read the Ehrenreich article, suzette? I'd be curious to know if your 'faggots, junkies, and whores' would accept the infantilizing that E. talks about as the trade-off for more dough. No to mention the commodification of a disease and a group of sick people into an attractive marketing 'vehicle'.

I agree, that HIV is a tough sell, but so are all the diseases E. calls 'low-rent', like tuberculosis, malaria, etbloodycetera.

What do we pay to get corporations to behave well?

suzette

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2006, 09:28:11 AM »
Quote from: fern hill
Did you read the Ehrenreich article, suzette?
No, I've not gotten there yet. :oops:

I'd be curious to know if your 'faggots, junkies, and whores' would accept the infantilizing that E. talks about as the trade-off for more dough. No to mention the commodification of a disease and a group of sick people into an attractive marketing 'vehicle'.

Now there's a question!  I'll have to chew on that one for a while.  

I don't think that more dough is the issue in HIV in this country (although all donations gratefully accepted!) so much as better publicity.  Discrimination really is The Big One for people with HIV here.  I don't want to derail the thread here with a whine, because what you say about other "low-rent" conditions is true, too.  It's just that every now and then it hits me that fashion, the whims of the media and the effectiveness of the marketing people's latest novelty stunt probably mean the difference between life and death for some people living with these conditions.  Wacky, wacky ol' world, huh?

fern hill

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2006, 09:33:18 AM »
No need for the blush, suzette. It's a long article and it's been a long weekend here, so I had time to read it.

And, oh yeah, I'm with you on the stunts and whims. I was a tenant and housing advocate a few years ago. I did tons of reseach on affordable housing, landlords' profits, all kinds of hard, good facts. I'd wheedle and cajole reporters to do something but noooo. But, let Habitat for Humanity build one stinking house and all the media was all over it.  :evil:

sparqui

• View Profile
    • http://resettlethis.blogspot.com/
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2006, 12:33:55 PM »
But, let Habitat for Humanity build one stinking house and all the media was all over it.  :evil:

BEST. SUMMARY. EVER.

For me it's that whole CHARITY vs. PUBLIC POLICY debate with the former constantly winning exposure and support. Hee hee, I also like the term, low rent diseases -- so bloody true.

I remember a Deputy Minister who went far career wise telling us that we were working on a losing battle -- trying to raise support for the arts. As he put it, taxpayers would rather pay for another kidney.
If my grandmother had wheels, she'd be a tractor. -- Gilles Duceppe

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2006, 12:55:16 PM »
Yeah, here in Montréal, the good burghers of TMR (Town of Mount Royal/Ville Mont-Royal), an upscale suburb on the island, are starting a petition AGAINST building a cultural centre, which would have received considerable funding from governments higher up. One of the comments from the supposedly eddicated citizenry "we have culture nearby in downtown Montreal - we don't need it here".

I'm also a tenant's rights activist and we have had experiences similar to fern's. Moreover once a social housing project does get off the ground, the elected officials take all the credit for it.

Habitat for Humanity can be a useful programme in small towns, but building single-family housing is just about the worst way to solve the problem of social/affordable housing in urban areas.

Back to the original topic, I think keeping women in a state of low-level terror is a good and sneaky way of getting them to buy stuff: retail therapy.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

fern hill

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2007, 05:55:52 PM »
Do youse gyus think this is cute, as the blogger does?

I don't.

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2007, 06:01:53 PM »
not funny to me.  :?
“Damaged people are dangerous. They know they can survive.” —  Josephine Hart

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2007, 06:05:53 PM »
Bad baseball too, in that stretched metaphor.  How can first base be a home run? First base has to be necking. (Do younger people know what necking is/was?)

I'm not approving any of this as joke material, just adding my editorial comments.

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2007, 06:09:53 PM »
No, much as I HATE the products touted and the terror inspired by this month (although of course it is important to make the powers-that-be fight cancer rather than wars, and eliminate toxins), I do think that is in poor taste.

Although in its own twisted, puerile way, it does have the merit of raising issues of sexuality and sexual mutilation, which I have never seen in the cheery pink crap, and rarely even read in the mainstream "women's" press in (anglophone) North America. I say that because the issue has been raised in the press in France and elsewhere, and they are frank about the horrible impact of sexual mutilation (whether of a woman or a man, in the case of other diseases and injuries).
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

fern hill

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2007, 06:20:52 PM »
What got up my nose is the male orientation. First base, etc, were male milestones in getting into girls' pants and bragging about it. First base was kissing, second base was boob-grabbing, third was hand in pants, and home run, well.

Save second base. Save boobs for the boyz.

Yuck.

k'in

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2007, 06:20:54 PM »
No.  There's something very "Boobies for the Boys" or a Meatloaf song that springs to mind.  The whole Pink (ribbon, etc.) campaign that is tied to everything from car antennae, to yard sales, to Leaf games, while a huge marketing success story, is Orwellian.  I've been aware (and scared) of breast cancer since about the age of 3. It doesn't really need promotion. Once I saw something on TV about the American Cancer Society charter that stated if the cure for cancer was found, the society was to be disbanded.  Too many people are making a decent living off the Pink campaign.  I'm just too cynical about big pharma, "managing" illness instead of really finding cures.  Find a cure already, clean up the environment that spews the toxins that create cancer.  It must be tough for women dealing with the reality of this disease to have to see this pink cartoonish stuff.

fern hill

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2007, 06:26:57 PM »
We cross-posted, k'in. Go comment. I did.

k'in

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2007, 06:41:53 PM »
OK fern, I commented to the effect that if first base felt like a home run, it must be the inside the pants variety.

Return To TAT