Author Topic: Food that is ok in tins  (Read 21895 times)

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
Food that is ok in tins
« on: October 09, 2006, 04:47:54 PM »
We did a thread like this once on babble, but I can't find it any more, and besides, I figure this is now seasonal.

You have had your harvest dinner. There will still be some fresh local foods available for a while, but winter is coming on and there will be days you don't want to go out to shop. Or can't. I'm sorry, but that is the hard truth.

We need stocks.

About this time of year, I start to remember what I can stand to eat out of tins on days that are just too mean to hike and schlep much through. I think right away of

-- tinned salmon, and some other fish-like critters
-- tinned baby beets
-- tinned corn is usually ok (or it would be if any corn were still ok)
-- some of the chunky soups and stews are worth checking out -- reject trans-fats

What else stores well?

lagatta

• View Profile
Food that is ok in tins
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2006, 04:56:52 PM »
sardines, and sprats (yum!) :cat

There is a kind of organic tinned beans, moreover without salt. It annoys me, because they are tinned in the US (Eden) but they are very well tinned. Obviously, l'idéal would be to soak and cook them, but...

artichoke hearts

priests

(that was just an anti-religious comment, to be a brat)... ;)
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Boom Boom

• View Profile
Food that is ok in tins
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2006, 04:59:32 PM »
salmon!

brebis noire

• View Profile
Food that is ok in tins
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2006, 05:02:49 PM »
stuffed grape leaves (dolmati?)
coeurs de palmier

hm, we're not strong on canned foods over here. I prefer frozen, or dried stuff. Canned food seems short on flavour.

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Food that is ok in tins
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2006, 05:02:54 PM »
Priests in tins?!?   :shock:

I have seen a few priests who were in their cups, as we say, but I've never seen one in a tin.  :D

fern hill

• View Profile
    • http://scathinglywrongrightwingnutz.blogspot.com/
Food that is ok in tins
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2006, 05:04:09 PM »
Pumpkin for pies. Tomatoes for sauces, though my mother served heated canned tomatoes as a soup. Habitant pea soup. Tuna.

sparqui

• View Profile
    • http://resettlethis.blogspot.com/
Food that is ok in tins
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2006, 05:04:26 PM »
artichokes, heart of palm, chick peas and smoked mussels
If my grandmother had wheels, she'd be a tractor. -- Gilles Duceppe

kuri

• View Profile
Food that is ok in tins
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2006, 05:07:46 PM »
Olives.  :eat

Herr Magoo

• View Profile
Food that is ok in tins
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2006, 05:09:22 PM »
I keep mucho cans of coconut milk and various curry pastes (Red, Green, Yellow, Mussaman, Panang, Sour, etc.).  

For non-fresh veggies, we prefer frozen.  Apparently they keep just about as many vitamins as fresh, and I'll be honest here:  they kind of remind me of childhood somehow, so I like them.  Peas, corn and mixed are our favourites.

We also like to have handy a few cans of crab meat, for crabbycakes, and various soups for when the urge hits us.  We have plenty of interesting Thai soups, available at Dominion, in various flavours.  They're quite good, all of them, but we overate them when we first discovered them, and now we don't crave them so much.

And of course baked beans in a can.  Handy when you don't know what else to serve with scrambled eggs, and also good for our perennial desperation meal of wieners and beans.  We like to add an onion, so it seems more like a regional specialty, and less like a low-rent campground lunch.  Shut up!  We like it.  :)

Finally, tuna.  Mrs. M. eats it for lunch, and occasionally we have tuna sandwiches for dinner.  Again, an homage to childhood.
ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø,

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Food that is ok in tins
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2006, 05:14:20 PM »
Italian plum tomatoes do really well in tins, don't they. Short of fresh ones, I think those are absolutely the best cooking tomatoes.

And I need tinned chick peas for hummus, although I seem to need dried ones (soaked overnight) for the falafels. I've never been able to make that dinner work the other way 'round.

We don't seem to have much luck with (commercial) frozen foods here. They seem to get all shrivelly to me. A lot of foods are horrible in tins, but most of the frozen stuff I've tried is bad too.

Worst experiment in tinning a food I've ever encountered: tinned asparagus. P-U!   :shock:

sparqui

• View Profile
Food that is ok in tins
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2006, 05:15:05 PM »
crab meat and stuffed grape leaves -- those are also nice to have around

lagatta

• View Profile
Food that is ok in tins
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2006, 05:18:13 PM »
tinned asparagus is mushy, but it is good in frittata or quiche/flan.

There are also nice things in jars. Far more in France than here, such as confit de canard, and a very nice duck pâté (with no pork, just duck). And julienned celeriac salad - from France or from Eastern Europe. Nice pickled salads from Central and Eastern Europe.

In Europe, one finds a nice range of tinned sausages - the kind that are a bit like hot dogs but nicer. Including kosker or halal ones without pork.

Of course if you are nice to anne, she jars her own salmon...
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

sparqui

• View Profile
Food that is ok in tins
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2006, 05:37:04 PM »
I love white asparagus spears in jars -- hard to find those around here though.

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Food that is ok in tins
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2006, 05:50:52 PM »
There's a kind of miniature pea -- petit pois -- that comes in a silver tin without a paper label, stamped "Le Sieur," I think, that is very nice as a garnish.

Like all tinned peas, they are mushy, but they are very tiny and sweet.

Mainly, I eat green peas raw in summer, don't much like them any other way. I will sometimes make a purée out of a bag of frozen ones (melted in minimal amount of stock), then toss in a tin of the miniatures whole, and season with cinnamon and mint. (Add cream if you're wicked.)

gunnar gunnarson

• View Profile
Food that is ok in tins
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2006, 07:55:48 PM »
Quote from: skdadl
Priests in tins?!?   :shock:

I have seen a few priests who were in their cups, as we say, but I've never seen one in a tin.  :D

Is it OK to eat them on Friday?

Return To TAT