Author Topic: Food that is ok in tins  (Read 20650 times)

k'in

• View Profile
Food that is ok in tins
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2006, 08:49:06 PM »
Sure.  But most prefer to eat their priests deep-fried with a side order of chips on Friday.  Canned priest comes in handy for sandwiches and "surprise" style casseroles...

gunnar gunnarson

• View Profile
Food that is ok in tins
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2006, 08:56:15 PM »
Again with the trayfe.  Why do I even ask?

lagatta

• View Profile
Food that is ok in tins
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2006, 09:22:00 PM »
But tinned priest is only treif if it includes the hindquarters, or if the flesh was torn.

However, it is not the most standard Sukkot fare. Happy Sukkot!  (I'm a diehard atheist, but I'll celebrate anything as long as I don't have to fast...).
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

k'in

• View Profile
Food that is ok in tins
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2006, 09:30:59 PM »
sorry-I meant to say that most "Catholics" prefer their priests deep fried on Fridays.  In that case, it's more about the texture I suppose and unidentifiable "jazz-fish" will do in a pinch.  It's possible for "priest-in-a-tin" to be non-traife, no?

lagatta

• View Profile
Food that is ok in tins
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2006, 04:32:47 PM »
Most authorities don't consider human flesh to be kosher, but there seems to be quite a bit of discussion about this issue!
http://everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=671778

I'm making chicken sofrito - a Spanish name but in this case a Sephardic recipe - though Muslims and Christians in the Middle East use the same basic technique - cooking a chicken or some other unfortunate critter in a small amount of olive oil and lemon or other citrus, with spices such as cardomom, or saffron if you are feeling flush. Stewed at a low heat for quite a while (though I have a rather small chicken so it should be done in an hour or two)... One of those recipes one can do while working at the other end of the house.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Mandos

• View Profile
    • http://politblogo.typepad.com/
Food that is ok in tins
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2006, 04:40:31 PM »
Lagatta, that's amazing.  Thank you.

lagatta

• View Profile
Food that is ok in tins
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2006, 04:55:11 PM »
The debate on human flesh or the chicken sofrito?

Obviously the flesh debate is simply academic except as relates to the commandment to disobey religious law to save a human life. Doesn't something similar exist in Islam - thinking (foggy memory) of the travellers' sura?

As for the sofrito, a Moroccan friend (of Arab-Muslim background, though not religious) also makes it with paprika.
Rosa Luxemburg

Nikita

• View Profile
Food that is ok in tins
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2006, 05:11:53 PM »
I really like most tinned beans, except lima beans.  Definintely not a fan of lima beans.  Canned tomatoes are good too, nice with a sprinkle of salt and pepper.  I saw canned potatoes the other day, and unless I was stocking a bomb shelter I don't think I'll be trying those any time soon.

I have a recipe I "invented" when I was rilly poor.  I don't know if it would qualify as stew or chili, but it hits the spot when you're hungry and I think it's pretty healthy.  :)

Dump one can of each of the following into a large pot:
black beans
kidney beans
pinto beans
chickpeas
corn
crushed tomatoes (one large or two medium)
lentils
Add 1 tablespoon chili powder, 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed, 1 teaspoons of each: dried oregano, dried thyme, cayenne, paprika, freshly ground black pepper, mustard powder, and garlic powder (or fresh), one or two bay leaves, 1/2 cup beef stock (if you like a bit of meat taste), and two cooled and cubed baked potatoes.  You can salt if you like, but I have never added salt.  This makes a lot of stew/chili, and it freezes well and goes a long way.

deBeauxOs

Food that is ok in tins
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2006, 05:20:07 PM »
Skim evaporated milk.  I always keep a tin handy in the pantry.  I have one in the refrigerator at the moment that I am using up as I make chai.  A friend who lived in Ladakh for a few months gave me this recipe.  

Boil two-three cups of water in a pot (I use stainless steel, ceramic-clad iron such Le Creuset would be fine too).  Throw in a few slices of fresh ginger, slivered (or candied with the sugar scraped off). Take 4-5 pods of cardamon and crush in a pestle, add to hot simmering water.  At this point, you may add other spices to your taste - nutmeg and cinnamon, for example - then some loose black tea.  (I use two bags of Celestial Seasoning's Bengal Tiger and one Constant Comment Decaf bag.)  Let it steep, add 1 quarter to half a cup of evaporated milk, warm it up and serve.  My friend says that evaporated milk tastes a bit like the (non-dairy) milk available in Ladakh thus most expats use it as a substitute when the real thing is not available.

Nikita

• View Profile
Food that is ok in tins
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2006, 05:23:58 PM »
That sounds delicious deBeauxOs!  I bought a box of "Chai tea" bags (holy redundancy Batman!) a while ago and was bitterly disappointed.  It was very, very bland.

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
Food that is ok in tins
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2006, 05:27:19 PM »
When tomatoes are not in season, then the tinned Italian (plum) tomatoes are absolutely the best to cook with -- but then tomatoes are not, I think, technically a vegetable.

Beans do well in tins and are ideal that way in some recipes, although if you want a falafel that hangs together, tinned chick peas will be too mushy.

Nikita, that looks like a great invention to me. I will bring you a cornbread or polenta recipe to serve with it tomorrow.

deBeauxOs

Food that is ok in tins
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2006, 05:29:40 PM »
The fresh ginger really makes a difference, even a not-so-juicy piece left over in the fridge and forgotten from your last stir-fry.  Crushing the cardamon - I got that from listening to an interview with Deepa Mehta - she cracks the pods with her teeth, I would rather not.   :shock:

Ooops, I forgot a step - what with all that yummy stuff floating around in the tea, you may want to strain it as you're pouring it into cups or mugs.   :wink:

lagatta

• View Profile
Food that is ok in tins
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2007, 06:49:44 PM »
I bought a HUGE tin of artichokes, as someone convinced me it is good for arthritis. Oh well, it can't hurt (they have been transferred into two glass refrigerator storage containers).
Rosa Luxemburg

Croghan27

• View Profile
Food that is ok in tins
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2007, 07:27:09 PM »
Quote from: lagatta
I bought a HUGE tin of artichokes.

Not long ago we had a bit of a thread on John Wyndham's The Day of the Triffids. About that time, no doubt to cash in on the idea, I recall a book that replaced the 'triffids' with artichokes.

lagatta, please, please do not sleep in the same room as the open tin.  :shock: And if your little kitty does the missing thing, listen for the sound of artichokes burping.
"It is also a good rule not to put overmuch confidence in the observational results that are put forward until they are confirmed by theory." -- Arthur Stanley Eddington

lagatta

• View Profile
Food that is ok in tins
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2007, 08:21:05 AM »
I don't keep them in the tin - they are safely esconced in glass refrigerator storage containers - who knew they were cannibalistic plants?

Managed to get down an omelette made with some of them and one egg - just sort of holding together. And three apricots. I wasn't hungry at all, but if I'm to go cycling, had to have some solid food in my tummy.
Rosa Luxemburg

Return To TAT