Author Topic: Food that is ok in tins  (Read 21697 times)

deBeauxOs

Food that is ok in tins
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2007, 10:28:21 AM »
lagatta, you can add some puréed artichokes to hummous or guacamole too.

lagatta

• View Profile
Food that is ok in tins
« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2007, 02:10:37 PM »
Thanks, yes, I've had that. Would also be good in a spread based on soft cheese (of I kind I can eat).
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

shaolin

• View Profile
Food that is ok in tins
« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2007, 04:01:25 PM »
I just had half a tin of artichoke hearts go moldy in the fridge (they had been transferred to a plastic container.  My mom and grandma are visiting so I have been doing the opposite of eating out of tins.  

Last night we went to this restaurant.  I had the Thai fritters, the baby potato salad and the smoked tofu with udon noodles.  A significant other has just started working there so I am looking forward to discounted meals in the future...

lagatta

• View Profile
Food that is ok in tins
« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2007, 07:01:04 PM »
shaolin, that place sounds utterly lovely. I confess I don't think of quality vegetarian food in Scotland. This site has been sent to a Scot here who is vegetarian; he returns there when he can as his parents are ailing.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
Re: Food that is ok in tins
« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2008, 07:31:15 PM »
Notice break in time in this thread.

I don't mean to be depressing, but as our nights have cooled down lately, I've been thinking that maybe I need to drag back some staples for the pantry, since it's a lot easier to drag them back in semi-tropical weather than it will be through feet of snow.

It's a problem if you don't have a car, since tinned food is really heavy, and yet you can use it up so quickly. How do you make it through winter without an entire flat or three of diced tomatoes, eg?

So anyway, since I didn't have any other pressing needs today, I did a run for tins. Build pantry; winter's coming on.

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2008, 08:05:34 PM »
I actually have quite a bit of stuff now; I have two bags on my bicycle so it isn't hard to cart stuff on sale home.

I've also been sprouting mung beans, so I guess I should get a few bags of organic ones home, as they make a nice fresh thing to eat even in the dead of winter.

The problem is where to put anything else - I just have a metal pantry cabinet, and a row of the installed kitchen cabinets I use for food storage rather than dishes and cooking vessels.

skdadl, remember that "ethnic" shops can be cheaper for a great many staples than chain supermarkets, but you have to know your way around them.
Rosa Luxemburg

k'in

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2008, 10:54:06 AM »
Woke up with a craving for pumpkin muffins.  I'll be using canned pumpkin because a) I'm too lazy to mangle and cook a real pumpkin and b) a real pumpkin is going to be harder to lug home than a tin.

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2008, 10:57:47 AM »
Pumpkin -- that's good. The real pumpkin -- ie, not prepared filling with all sorts of other stuff in it but just real pumpkin -- does well in tins.

Funny that no one is tinning squash or the other cucurbitaceae.

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2008, 11:02:57 AM »
Two good sources for tins etc in Montréal:

Segalls, on St-Laurent corner Duluth - also known by some as "the stinky store". The tins are fine, and the frozen stuff has a huge turnover (they have a lot of fish and seafood - the Portuguese people in that neighbourhood snap it up). Lots of tins etc of organic/natural stuff (students at McGill, UQAM, Cégep du Vieux-Montréal are keen on that, as are others).

Mondiana, Bélanger corner Christophe-Colomb (a few streets east of Jean-Talon Market) a similar shop that opened up around here - owners an Arab couple - he Syrian, she Moroccan so they have a lot of tinned, jarred and bagged stuff from the Middle East (including Turkey) and the Maghreb, which I love. Yummy jarred Turkish vegetable spreads and winter salads.

Other than Mediterranean shops and chains, I've found interesting stuff at Central and Eastern European shops. Good sauerkraut (mild, the best is cooked in white wine...) is a surprisingly pleasant thing to eat on cold days, in many ways, and it is extremely nutritious - a good winter source of vitamin C.

k'in, I think tinned pumpkin is fine in baking. You can always use frozen squash - that would be lighter to carry still. I don't do sweet baking; I'm wondering if a squash or pumpkin bread would be nice? I've used frozen squash in gratins etc - it is fine.

I do have a buttercup squash I'll be cooking today or tomorrow, as I'm also making turkey/onion/olive empanadas for a group, so the oven will be on anyway.
Rosa Luxemburg

deBeauxOs

« Reply #39 on: September 19, 2008, 01:13:04 PM »
Quote from: k'in
Woke up with a craving for pumpkin muffins.  I'll be using canned pumpkin because a) I'm too lazy to mangle and cook a real pumpkin and b) a real pumpkin is going to be harder to lug home than a tin.

What a good idea.  I always have one small tin of pumpkin on hand because it is a great thing to mix in with soft cat food if my kitty is having tummy issues.  But I should use up the one I've stored for a year now and get a fresh one, so pumpkin/corn meal muffins it is!

arborman

• View Profile
    • http://bohemiancoast.blogspot.com
Re:
« Reply #40 on: September 19, 2008, 04:58:54 PM »
Quote from: skdadl
When tomatoes are not in season, then the tinned Italian (plum) tomatoes are absolutely the best to cook with -- but then tomatoes are not, I think, technically a vegetable.

The U.S. Supreme Court[/url]settled the controversy in 1893 by declaring that the tomato is a vegetable, based on the popular definition that classifies vegetables by use, that they are generally served with dinner and not dessert (Nix v. Hedden (149 U.S. 304)).[14] The holding of the case applies only to the interpretation of the Tariff Act of March 3, 1883, and the court did not purport to reclassify the tomato for botanical or other purposes other than paying a tax under a tariff act.

It is technically a berry that grows on a vine, but for tax purposes in the US it is a vegetable.

Due to the scientific definition of a fruit, the tomato remains a fruit when not dealing with US tariffs. Nor is it the only culinary vegetable that is a botanical fruit: eggplants, cucumbers, and squashes of all kinds (such as zucchini and pumpkins) share the same ambiguity.
The pleasures of the table are for every man, of every land, and no matter what place in history or society; they can be a part of all his other pleasures, and they last the longest, to console him when he has outlived the rest.

'lance

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 19, 2008, 05:03:21 PM »
Yeah, "vegetable" is a culinary and not a botanical category.

Botanically, even a mushroom is a fruit, or rather a "fruiting body."

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 19, 2008, 06:25:14 PM »
On the topic of tins: cat food around the world

It has its problems though. The author has confused the spicy areas of Latin America with Spain - Spanish food is not usually very hot and spicy. And Italian cats now have plentiful access to tinned and dry food.
Rosa Luxemburg

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 19, 2008, 07:46:39 PM »
In my experience, cats like birds. In real life, cats do not catch fish; they do not catch cows; they do not catch sheep. They catch birds.

Therefore, my cats eat bird. Tinned bird.

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 19, 2008, 08:15:16 PM »
No tinned mouse?
Rosa Luxemburg

Return To TAT