Author Topic: Food that is ok in tins  (Read 22172 times)

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
Re: Food that is ok in tins
« Reply #45 on: September 19, 2008, 08:26:18 PM »
I have seen cats catch and kill mouses and squirrels, but I have never seen them eat them.

I think the reaction to many small things, like mouses and squirrels, is nervous system, and maybe if they were starving, they would eat the mouses. But I've never seen that. They will eat bird, though.

Gigi

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 19, 2008, 09:52:39 PM »
One thing that is NOT good in tins: canned ham.  YUCK.

(Not the spam-type stuff - and actual canned ham.  I have no idea how you are to cook it, but it was pretty inedible heated in the oven.)

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 20, 2008, 07:02:51 AM »
Hmmn. Are you talking about those sort-of triangular-shaped tins, Gigi? (Rounded corners, but three-sided?) I used to quite like those, although I never cooked them: I just opened and sliced and served as cold cuts. It has been a while since I bought one, and in my memory the widely available ones are Maple Leaf, so I don't think I'm going there for a while.

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 29, 2008, 08:49:23 AM »
Here are some rather fancy tins from a little bistro in Verdun - they actually tin some of their own dishes!

Obviously too pricy for everyday staples, but actually I don't find the prices out of line for the type of product, and like that they are local. If ever I'm in Verdun I'll pick up a tin of the pot-au-feu with red deer. Sounds like a nice comfort on a foul winter day, that. http://www.lenakedlunch.com/eng/shop.html

Not to non-MontréalaisEs - Verdun is southwesterly; me (Jean-Talon Market area), northeastery. But I do sometimes have cause to go there, and this place is very close to a métro station.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

deBeauxOs

« Reply #49 on: October 29, 2008, 09:54:11 AM »
sparqui - go look!  The chef has recreated in minute details, and with some Canadian ingredients, 'Le festin de Babette'!!

En anglais, Babette's Feast.

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 12, 2008, 04:01:32 PM »
I don't know whether baconnaise - and baconnaise lite (!!!!!)  :shock:  :shock:  :shock: can be considered something ok in a jar (no tin), but I simply had to post this somewhere.

Moreover, it is vegetarian - and kosher :mrgreen:

http://lagourmandemodeste.wordpress.com ... -le-bacon/
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

deBeauxOs

« Reply #51 on: December 13, 2008, 01:28:39 PM »
:rotfl:  Next time I'm in the US, I'll keep an eye open for that product.  As long as it doesn't contain GMO canola oil, it would make me happy.  Imagine it slathered on toasted tomato sandwiches.  Yum!

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 13, 2008, 03:14:32 PM »
You could of course opt for a slice of artesanal back bacon from the Byward Market, though I guess that wouldn't have the fake-food factor.

The tins of fattening-up catfood (a/d) cost $2,49 each. Cripes, it would be cheaper to feed him human pâté.
Rosa Luxemburg

deBeauxOs

« Reply #53 on: December 13, 2008, 05:21:38 PM »
Quote from: lagatta
You could of course opt for a slice of artesanal back bacon from the Byward Market, though I guess that wouldn't have the fake-food factor. ...
Nor the clean-up of the greasy mess.  Once in awhile I indulge my taste buds with a few smoked turkey kielbasa slices from the Sausage Kitchen.

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 09, 2009, 10:37:46 PM »
I see I'd already mentioned the jarred Turkish (and Balkan) vegetable spreads, avjar and pindjur. Had some pindjur tonight - it is almost like a fine-cut ratatouille though more peppers. Ingredients: peppers, onions, tomatoes, eggplants, sunflower oil, salt, sugar (there is not a lot of salt or of sugar) hot peppers/chillis, parsley, vinegar, garlic. It is nice on bread or as a dip.
Rosa Luxemburg

Antonia

• View Profile
    • http://thestar.blogs.com/broadsides/
« Reply #55 on: December 09, 2009, 11:32:26 PM »
I love the organic soups from Wolfgang Puck.
It is when we all play safe that we create a world of utmost insecurity. It is when we all play safe that fatality will lead us to our doom. It is in the "dark shade of courage" alone that the spell can be broken.
-- Dag Hammarskjöld

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 10, 2009, 06:57:43 AM »
Where do you find them, Antonia?

Amy's organic lentil soup is most tasty, if a bit mushy. (Here I am, giving other people my lentil soup/stew recipe and then eating out of a tin m'self.) For some reason Mr Case, which doesn't actually stock that much decent food apart from tinned fish, sells cases of Amy's, so when I ordered mass quantities of kitty litter and nibbles last time, I also got a carton of Amy's as winter emergency back-up. It's really great with some chopped fresh tomato added.

I know Pindjur as the people who make my favourite red pepper preserve, moderately spiced, much better on burgers than the standard red relish.

Real soup is wonderful, but it takes some planning.

steffie

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 10, 2009, 07:26:32 AM »
Real soup takes planning, yes, but also one must do something with all that soup!  I have found some great Ziploc twist-cap plastic containers for storing/freezing soups and stews.  I'm planning to have more of Skdadl's Lentil Soup/Stew this weekend.  YUM!
Let the beauty of what you love be what you do - Rumi

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 10, 2009, 07:33:23 AM »
Hi, steffie. The secret ingredient is what makes that soup, eh?  ;)

steffie

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 10, 2009, 07:34:09 AM »
Bacon?
Let the beauty of what you love be what you do - Rumi

Return To TAT