Author Topic: Food that is ok in tins  (Read 21886 times)

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
Re: Food that is ok in tins
« Reply #75 on: December 12, 2009, 07:11:53 PM »
I've actually begun to worry that I'm not getting enough salt, or at least not enough iodized salt, since I almost never add it to anything I cook from raw and what I do add is sea salt, very low in iodine, so I've stopped worrying about the odd "processed" product, where I'm pretty sure I can count on a day's worth of iodine. Who wants goitre?

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 12, 2009, 08:21:34 PM »
Another good source for iodine is seaweed. I've been neglecting it of late, and a bit is very good for the health and tasty as well. The most indigenous one is dulse - very popular along the Atlantic seacoast, in the Gaspé, the Maritimes, Newfoundland... excellent in fish chowders. And the feathery Japanese kinds in Asian noodle dishes.

No, one certainly doesn't want goitre - not merely unsightly but related to what used to be called cretinism.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 19, 2009, 08:03:53 PM »
Did someone above mention Stagg's chili? I just had some. I was most pleasantly surprised. It's very good. I'm used to very highly spiced food, and for a tinned commercial product, Stagg's is pretty brave, I'd say -- not ultra-hot, but respectable on the hot scale. And the meat is identifiable as meat, and edible. I give it a 7.

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 04, 2010, 04:00:42 PM »
Y'know how so many things taste like chicken? I have discovered something that does not taste like chicken -- tinned chicken. I bought some as an experiment, and gah, but it is awful. I mean, tinned tuna doesn't exactly taste like tuna, but it tastes like tinned tuna, and that's good. Tinned salmon doesn't exactly taste like salmon, but it tastes like tinned salmon, and that's good. Tinned chicken tastes like ... I dunno -- very bad tinned tuna? Without the tuna flavour? It just bears no relation to chicken at all.

Maybe it's the texture, which is definitely not chickenish. The virtue of chicken is that pillowy effect, and this is more like tuna texture -- or maybe catfood. It is also heavily salted.

I just fed the extra tin to the five cats who eat tinned food, and they all liked it. I brought the little leftover to Gracie, who won't eat tinned food except it turns out that she adores tinned tuna. Gracie wouldn't touch the tinned chicken. So now Guinny and Phillie are having seconds from Gracie's plate, and my office smells like ... well, not like chicken.

Tinned chicken: FAIL.

Croghan27

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 04, 2010, 04:17:52 PM »
Frog's legs do definitely taste like chicken.

The problem is that frogs are not as ...substantial as the feathered cluckers ..... so do not be hungry if you order them.

There is quite a story about the time I experimented ordering frog's legs ..... my guest was a work mate who was of Armenian extraction ... he was born in Egypt where his family fled to escape the pogroms by the Turks. Would you not know it, our matre'de was ... (you guessed it) Turkish. Even without speaking you could feel the electricity in the air ... (I got to know the matre'de sometime later and he was actually a nice fellow - worked for the food bank and all...)
"It is also a good rule not to put overmuch confidence in the observational results that are put forward until they are confirmed by theory." -- Arthur Stanley Eddington

deBeauxOs

« Reply #80 on: January 04, 2010, 04:53:49 PM »
Isn't sodium/salt-laden food toxic for cats?  I always assumed so.

ETA: This is a good list of human food items poisonous for feline companions.  Some of them I didn't know, but I never let my food out where my cat could eat it.

I've also read that the sugar substitute Xylitol is quite harmful to dogs.

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 04, 2010, 06:21:41 PM »
I'm sure that a steady diet of salted foods would not be a good idea for cats. As we've all often agreed before, anything that can cause the formation of crystals in the bladder, especially of males (whose urethras are very narrow and can become blocked), is dangerous as a steady diet, and that would especially mean fish of any kind. Still, many of us occasionally give our cats bits of tinned tuna (which seems to be universally loved) or chicken -- as a treat, that seems safe.

A lot of catfood is fish-based, and a lot of people feed it to their cats. My vet banned it (along with most commercial dry food) totally years ago, when Redcliff almost died of cystitis, so I'm very careful about their basic diets. In my experience (and that's a lot of cats), most cats don't actually want to eat stuff that isn't good for them. They mostly don't care about milk, eg. They know water is good for them, so they drink a lot of water.  And so on. The only two cats I've had over the last thirty years who've been really keen on human food have been Oyster (see avatar) and Minnie, who can make it very difficult for us to sit down to dinner unless she's shut away in her room. Minnie is omnivorous -- she also like vegetables. She wants to eat anything I eat. But nobody else is even interested, unless it's fresh chicken or tinned tuna. And I think that's the most common state of affairs. I've never met a cat who was interested in chocolate or caffeine or alcohol. I mean, they're not dogs, eh?

Oh -- some of them like runny eggs. As brebis noire says, it's the water that matters most, and then teh balanced diet of approved cat foods.

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 04, 2010, 06:43:12 PM »
My cat wants his canned food at room temp., which is a bugger if you've got 2 already opened, covered tins in fridge. So since they like variety, I open at least 2. But he still doesn't like it from the fridge, goes to the wire basket I keep his tins in and howls for them. What to do?

I was told I must remove the leftover wet food from tins and place in a glass jar, because pop-top cans, by-products, and fish flavors of canned cat food have been linked to the development of thyroid disease in cats.
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 04, 2010, 06:50:45 PM »
Heh. I see your problem, Toe, but with five guys sharing one tin each time, that doesn't happen here. I do have gazillions of tins to recycle, though, which I go soon to organize.

deBeauxOs

« Reply #84 on: January 04, 2010, 07:16:52 PM »
Quote from: Toedancer
My cat wants his canned food at room temp., which is a bugger if you've got 2 already opened, covered tins in fridge. ...
My cat is very finicky.  What seems to make tinned food appealing to her - she has 5 teeth left - is to add some broth, turkey or chicken.  I make about 2-3 cups of it and freeze it in ice cube trays, when ready pop them all into a ziplock for that purpose.

Twice a day, I take one broth cube, set in fruit nappy size bowl, cover, microwave for 36 secs. Then I add two heaping glops from her KD tin, mush it around, let it come to room temp, serve.

brebis noire

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 04, 2010, 09:00:58 PM »
Yes, I've noticed my cats prefer warm food, though they won't go as far as refusing food from the fridge. They are very grateful to be getting tinned food at this stage in their lives.
Adding warm broth (not too salty maybe?) is a good idea. Even quicker though, when I feel like pampering them a bit, I add some boiling water to the cold tinned food and mix well so that it's lukewarm.

deBeauxOs

« Reply #86 on: January 04, 2010, 10:08:41 PM »
Quote from: brebis noire
Adding warm broth (not too salty maybe?) is a good idea.
Yes, I make it from scratch (eh) with turkey legs and backs that I get from the butcher, usually inexpensive since they charge a lot for the breasts.  No salt, no spices.  And I skim the fat off.

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 15, 2012, 09:47:37 AM »
Some more tinned fish recipes from Hugh Fearnly-Whittingstall in the Guardian, with notes on sustainable species and catches - however the sourches indicated are, obviously, British and continental European, and here it would be more sustainable to seek out Canadian sources if possible:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2012/apr/13/tinned-fish-recipes-sardines-anchovies
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Antonia

• View Profile
    • http://thestar.blogs.com/broadsides/
« Reply #88 on: April 15, 2012, 10:11:45 AM »
I discussed this with Sylvia Earle, and she said these are not sustainable. It's because of the food chain.
It is when we all play safe that we create a world of utmost insecurity. It is when we all play safe that fatality will lead us to our doom. It is in the "dark shade of courage" alone that the spell can be broken.
-- Dag Hammarskjöld

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 15, 2012, 11:59:54 AM »
Soon we won't be able to eat anything, eh?
Rosa Luxemburg

Return To TAT