Author Topic: Curry leaves  (Read 2234 times)

aRoused

• View Profile
Curry leaves
« on: October 10, 2006, 08:38:58 AM »
I'm a curry cook of the Madhur Jaffrey school: cumin, coriander, turmeric, garlic and chilli, with cloves, ginger and cinnamon as needed.

Yesterday I watched a curry being made with nothing but mustard seed, curry leaves and chilli. What gives? Does the combination of mustard and curry leaves approximate the combination of all the 'usual' spices? Or did I just watch someone make a truly crappy curry on live TV?
Give me a fast ship, for I intend to go in harm\'s way.

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
Curry leaves
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2006, 08:42:57 AM »
I don't know curry leaves, although I remember people discussing them once back on babble. They seem to be a good thing, but how much they can substitute for, I dunno.

I believe that the dried spice people buy in little jars that is called curry powder is in fact a mixture of those other spices you list, aRoused. I don't think it's made from curry leaves, although I could be wrong.

Herr Magoo

• View Profile
Curry leaves
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2006, 09:18:20 AM »
Curry leaves make a pretty mild, but recognizable curry, and they're authentic.  I've bought them a few times, usually in a wee bag out of a fridge in some specialty store, and you can definitely tell what they are, but I don't know that the ones I got were terribly strong.  Once dry, they seemed to lose any oomph they once had, and most certainly "curry powder" is not dried and ground curry leaves.
ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø,

aRoused

• View Profile
Curry leaves
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2006, 06:09:57 AM »
Weird. This was Jamie Oliver, btw, apparently cooking 'live' for some of the lads he grew up with.
Give me a fast ship, for I intend to go in harm\'s way.

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
Curry leaves
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2006, 06:20:46 AM »
Maybe he is trying to wean English cooks from their addiction to generic "curry" powder, aRoused.

Like you, though, I much prefer Madhur Jaffrey's recipes -- although I think Oliver has a cool pad.

Return To TAT