Author Topic: Leftovers!  (Read 2212 times)

fern hill

• View Profile
    • http://scathinglywrongrightwingnutz.blogspot.com/
Leftovers!
« on: October 09, 2006, 07:30:51 PM »
We just had the first leftover turkey meal. Leftover turkey, stuffing, and gravy. With potatoes and asparagus. There is a lot of turkey left, but tomorrow I'm going home and I'll take some. So, samitches, maybe a pot pie? Soup?

k'in

• View Profile
Leftovers!
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2006, 08:34:25 PM »
It disappears quickly around here.  Most of it goes in slices on toasted baguettes with lettuce & tomato.  Sometimes I like it minced up really fine & warmed up on a steamed (or toasted) bun.  Turkey soup would be wonderful and comforting.

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
Leftovers!
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2006, 07:23:22 AM »
Many of my meals are leftovers -- when you live alone, that's common, and at least it cuts down on prep time.

I see that Magoo-san has posted a leftovers feature on the Front Page.

ETA: He is doing "potsticker dumplings." Looks like fun.

lagatta

• View Profile
Leftovers!
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2006, 07:44:00 AM »
Looks lovely. I love Chinese dumplings... and duck. Vy a duck?

Gunnar, this is only treife if you mix up the duck and the cheese...
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

kuri

• View Profile
Leftovers!
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2006, 10:28:46 AM »
My leftover turkey meat goes into pasta dishes and curry. Especially the curry because it spices up a pretty bland meat. (Also, I get to imagine Bridget Jones' mum exclaming, "Turkey Curry Buffet!"  :lol: )

Herr Magoo

• View Profile
Leftovers!
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2006, 11:12:08 AM »
Vy a duck?

:)  Is this a Henny Youngman reference that I should be asking my dad about?

Y a duck?  More interesting than a chicken, but about the same size.

Another good recipe for using up the poultry is Cornish Pasties.  I can't remember any exact measures, but it's basically a flaky pie crust, cut into 6" rounds, then stuffed with filling (leftover bird, potatoes, carrots, onions, a bit of gravy... that sort of thing) and pinched together across the top, like a change purse (or, really, a huge dumpling).  Then it's baked until the crust is a lovely golden.  A meat pie without a pie shell.
ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø,

lagatta

• View Profile
Leftovers!
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2006, 11:24:51 AM »
No, Vy a duck is Marx brothers. :D

From viaduct of course, but a play on German or Yiddish pronunciation. (The Marx family were German-speakers ... oh, like that other Marx family ... but must have been surrounded by Yiddish-speakers in NYC).

(HAMMER) All along here, is the river front, and all along the river, those are all levees.
(CHICO) That's the Jewish neighborhood?
(HAMMER) Well, we'll Pass-over that! You are a peach, boy! Now, here is a little peninsula and here is the viaduct leading over to the mainland.
(CHICO) Why a duck?
(HAMMER) I'm all right, how are you? I say, here is a little peninsula and here is a viaduct leading over to the mainland.
(CHICO) All right, why a duck?
(HAMMER) I'm not playing "Ask-me-Another", I say that's a viaduct.
(CHICO) All right, why a duck? Qhy a, why a duck, why-a-no-chicken?
(HAMMER) Why, I don't konow why-a-no-chicken. I'm a stranger here myself. All I know is that it's a viaduct. You try to cross over there on a chicken, and you'll find out why a duck.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Return To TAT