Author Topic: Blogging.....Tool of the Devil  (Read 3998 times)

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
Blogging.....Tool of the Devil
« on: October 11, 2006, 12:55:45 PM »
Wasn't sure where to put this but as it's about blogging here seemed good.

Ask yourself, “Do I have a tendency to want to have a voice?”

This has grown so out of control it is routine for a person to start a daily blog entry with a single word that details his or her mood. A blog entry will start: “Current mood: ____” The level of shallowness and emotional immaturity this represents is astonishing! In the grand scheme of things, why would the world at large care?

People naturally want to make a mark in this world; they want to make a difference, and many believe blogs will allow them to do this. However, most blogs, especially by teenagers, serve as nothing more than public diaries. (Of course, there is nothing inherently wrong with a personal diary, as long as it is kept private.) Although certain professional weblogs can make a positive difference within some elements of society, teen blogging does not.

Stop and consider. The biggest mark you will ever make is to build God’s character and be born into the God Family. Blogging will not help you achieve this.

http://aprilreign.blogspot.com/2006/10/ ... devil.html
“Damaged people are dangerous. They know they can survive.” —  Josephine Hart

Mandos

• View Profile
    • http://politblogo.typepad.com/
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2006, 01:57:19 PM »
Heh.  This is why I am a Battlestar Galactica 2.0 nut.  This one sounds especially like a Cylon.

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2006, 02:33:21 PM »
Allow me to indulge my carnal, vain tendencies by throwing in a few idle words in response to that link (and Debra: I hope that you Read It Twice?).

What a pompous ass!  :D

It isn't just the holier-than-thou people who are thinking and talking this way, unfortunately. I have heard an msm person refer to bloggers derisively as "the stream-of-consciousness people" -- and yes, he meant that as an insult (if you were wondering because you happen to respect stream-of-consciousness narratives).

There are more powerful people who either want to make money off the webnets (by controlling/owning them) or want to shut the noisiest of us up -- they, of course, are more than happy right now to encourage the panic and paranoia of useful idiots such as these.

Great post, April. Off to progblog to vote for you.

Herr Magoo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2006, 02:46:49 PM »
I think a lot of "political" blogs fill a useful role as foil to the MSM.  I think other blogs can be educational (eg: someone's blog about their cancer treatment, or someone's blog about life in a cult).

But the writer's not wrong.  Some blogs are just so downright narcissistic and self-absorbed that you cannot help but hope their authors are, somewhere, surrounded by giant, prop-sized grains of salt that they dutifully take with each entry.  If they don't have, somewhere in their heart of hearts, a genuine realization that nobody cares what mood they're in then I hope to never meet them in meatspace.

They kind of remind me of the very first generation of "home pages" — Hi.  I'm Mr. Magoo.  Welcome to my home page.  Below you'll find a list of links to bands I like, some photos of me, some links I like, the recipe for my favourite dish, pics of my dog Blubbles, and some ASCII artwork that I think is neat!!".
ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø,

Holly Stick

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2006, 08:36:56 PM »
I suspect that I would start a blog the same way I used to start diaries; keep it up faithfully for a few weeks, then skip adding to it more and more until I lose the thing at the back of the closet.  I used to think this was from laziness, but thanks to Magoo I can say it's because I lack narcissism. 8)
Economics is a human creation, borders are human creations and nature doesn’t give a damn about these things. - David Suzuki

kuri

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2006, 09:10:43 PM »
I was going to post a comment on your space, Debra, then I realized that I'd be saying more over there then I care to.

Anyway, I'm trying to see what this guy has against public diaries. I think that some of it might be confusing different types of blogs. Talking about the "mood" thing - he's clearly talking about livejournal there. I keep an LJ, I had one before I started my blog, and I see it as very different thing, and I definately don't see my LJ as public: most of my entries there are "friends only". And LJ is much more interactive than other blogging packages, so I'd say it's more of a social networking site than a 'blog' per se. There's community journals that act more like fora, and local people often just post out invitations on friends-only posts to let everyone know about a get-together they're planning.

I actually started my blog in part so that I'd be able to express my political views and write more considered things to an audience that might be more interested in them (most of my LJ flist is non-Canadian) and in part because I wanted my LJ to be more "friendly" while still having a space that I'd leave fairly open to people who don't share my views (the blog).

So my LJ is probably quite narcissistic (to use Magoo's term) but since the majority of my activity in commenting on others' LJs, I think that qualifies that quite a bit.

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2006, 07:49:00 AM »
Well, there is also more than a touch of macho condescension towards the young (and maybe young women? gee: d'ye think?) in making fun of their tendency towards self-interrogation.

I mean, that is part of being a teenager, and maybe there is some psychological health in an openness to turning over one's feelings. I know that teen narcissism can also be annoying to older people, but at least some of it has a purpose, a good purpose, I think. Young women especially, as Debra implies in her opening post, need to be encouraged to use their voices, to believe that they can speak up, that they have a right to speak up.

So kids' blogs are not gripping reading for older people? So don't put yourself out by reading them, eh? (Although I can imagine why parents might want some sense of what their kids are doing online.)

Then there are the Kimveer Gills, of course. I don't know what to say about that, about any relation between his internet addiction and his psychosis.

But I also don't doubt that there is a political dimension to a lot of the scare-talk about blogs and online life, and we are hearing that kind of hyped-up worry in the msm and from ordinary friends who pick it up there. I have friends who think I'm going a bit weird; I think they are just naive.

Toedancer

• View Profile
Re: Blogging.....Tool of the Devil
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2012, 03:26:22 PM »
I'm using this old thread because....well once you read this new blog you'll see. I do admire the purpose of it, there does need to be some sort of clearing house for license holders who grow medical marijuana; as Goan Smee puts it "
The second and biggest problem is contacting all holders of Licenses to Possess to pay attention to the fight and kick in and help if they can. There is strength in numbers but unfortunately, Health Canadas obsession with secrecy makes all Licensees invisible, even you. There is no central place to make contact so I’m trying to make one right here and now. First I have to find you all."

But the language we can do without. Yeah I think it's really really creepy that Vic had consensual sex with a teenage girl, but I would not go so far as to call him a ped.  or a predator. In any case here you go:http://goan-smee.blogspot.com/
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 03:29:11 PM by Toedancer »
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

Return To TAT