Author Topic: A Gay Purge Looms for the GOP  (Read 10056 times)

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
A Gay Purge Looms for the GOP
« on: October 13, 2006, 09:37:39 AM »
Immediately after the Mark Foley scandal broke, some anti-Republican gay-rights activists composed a memo containing the names of closeted gay Republican Congressional staffers and sent it to leading Christian-right advocacy groups. The founder and chairman of one of those groups, the Rev. Don Wildmon of the American Family Association, told me he has received that memo, which he referred to simply as "The List." Based on The List's contents, Wildmon is convinced that a secretive gay "clique" boring within the Republican-controlled Congress is responsible for covering up Foley's sexual predation toward teenage male House pages. Moreover, Wildmon calls on the Republican Party leadership to promptly purge the "subversive" gay staffers.

"They oughtta fire every one of 'em," Wildmon told me in his trademark Mississippi drawl. "I don't care if they're heterosexual or homosexual or whatever they are. If you've got that going on, that subverts the will of the people; that subverts the voters. That is subversive activity. There should be no organization among staffers in Washington of that nature, and if they find out that they're there and they're a member, they oughtta be dismissed el pronto."

http://www.alternet.org/story/42972/
“Damaged people are dangerous. They know they can survive.” —  Josephine Hart

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2006, 09:54:59 AM »
Well. I'd say that is pretty ugly on all sides.

It is entirely possible that those "anti-Republican gay-rights activists" have just saved Hastert's hide. Maybe yes, maybe no -- we'll see on election night, and the right do seem to be in disarray too.

But it was a stupid, evil thing to do in the first place. I have no patience with anyone who draws up secret 'lists" on the basis of others' private lives -- like, none. I don't want to live in that kind of society.

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2006, 09:55:27 AM »
With Wildmon brandishing The List and demanding a gay purge, which in Dobson's words would be a "crazy," "flat-out illegal," "ridiculous thing," the chaos and panic among the House leadership has spread to the Christian right. As Election Day draws nearer, the movement's most influential leaders are markedly off-message, contradicting one another, and on the defensive. And their rhetorical fusillades have made gay Republican House staffers, some about to testify before the Ethics Committee and the FBI, fear for their careers.

Lord I feel like I'm watching a Debauched Roman Decline Reality Soap! This is all just too delicious. The goddam simpering Idiots.
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

fern hill

• View Profile
    • http://scathinglywrongrightwingnutz.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2006, 10:04:10 AM »
Yeah, outing is wrong. But, skdadl, they're Repugnicans, so, as Toe says, it is delicious, if very naughty.  :popcorn

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2006, 10:34:49 AM »
Well it is also sickening, sort of like watching self-haters eating their own young. The repugs could turn this into a anti-gay witch hunt.

But of more concern to me is that Hastert, who protected a predator to save a house seat and then called Foley's behaviour a political issue, may have been 'afraid' to do a proper investigation back in '01/02/03/04/05 because he knew he couldn't stand up to the gay GOP staffers. That kind of power in a few elites hands is very frightening. Fear of losing your job (even amongst the gay repug staffers) means there is a complete moral vacuum. An inner rot. The two party system is breaking down right before their eyes.

To add apparently Jeb and Dubya knew all about it, according to the Marsden Report.

http://waynemadsenreport.com/index.php

Rove strongarming Foley about staying on, or he'd ruin his business.  :spy:
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

Doug

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2006, 06:48:52 AM »
Quote from: fern hill
Yeah, outing is wrong. But, skdadl, they're Repugnicans, so, as Toe says, it is delicious, if very naughty.  :popcorn

In general, outing is wrong. In this case, not so much, I think. These people have been working for politicians who at best simply take advantage of homophobia to get elected and at worst advocate for active government and private discrimination against gays and lesbians. If they lose their jobs due to GOP homophobia, well...live by the sword, die by the sword. I've no  sympathy at all.

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2006, 06:50:49 AM »
Well, if the strategy works. But the activists who outed them may have succeeded in deflecting attention from the bigger fish, like Hastert, which I think is a bad move.

k'in

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2006, 08:34:08 PM »
Another moral majority hypocrite type with access to the White House steps down due to an alleged gay sex scandal:

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. - The Rev. Ted Haggard stepped down as president of the influential National Association of Evangelicals on Thursday after being accused of carrying on an affair with a gay man.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15536263/

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2006, 11:03:20 PM »
Oh boy k'in, you sure do find em. I checked with the Denver post since that is where the accuser is from.

The former prostitute, Mike Jones, 49, of Denver,

Former because he's gonna make a pile of money now.

Jones also played a recording of a voicemail left for Jones from "Art." Jones refused to reveal what the topic of the voicemail was about because there could be legal problems and he wants to consult with an attorney.

Oh I am sure he is all lawyered up.

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_4588998

‘That’s not Ted’
New Life Church member Brooks DeMio, 44, said he thinks Jones is a liar and can't believe Haggard would engage in sex with a man.

"He loves the Lord, homosexuality is a sin and that's not Ted," DeMio said. "His desire is to serve other people and uphold the word of God. ... I don't know him well enough to give a complete character description, but I know him enough to know it's not true."
From k'in's thread.

Yeah right, I believe Anne Rule was just as shocked when her Ted turned out to be Bundy.

But what freaks me out about this, is Canada is not far behind, with an outing agenda to hurt the Cons. It'll stay covered UNLESS the cons have a chance at a majority. Or am I becoming just too jaded?

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2006, 07:48:17 AM »
Well. These stories are beginning to achieve the status of myth or archetype, I would say. (I'm using the word "myth" in the serious sense there, not the debased sense that would imply that I don't believe the story. I do believe it.)

By myth or archetype, I mean there is something much bigger here than any pathetic individual. Sure, these guys are lying, vicious hypocrites and they should be stripped of public power for that reason. But there is something more significant being revealed, something about their politics, something about their politicized "religion," something about their culture.

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2006, 12:26:20 PM »
Maybe this belongs in another thread. Moving furniture around to prep for cleaning (dinner guests coming) and I heard on the radio that Harper plans to open the SSM debate in early December. With a new Liberal leader, I wonder what his directive will be, vote in line or vote with conscience? Or must we even be forced to have the debate go that far?

Checked for a link, couldn't find one.

faith

• View Profile
    • http://www.faithloverobertson.com
Sappho's Salon
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2006, 12:34:55 PM »
There is something trying to surface in my grey cells about a rape study and pedophiles. Was it Susan Brownmiller that described the typical child predator in her book on rape?

While the public media and popular fiction fixate on Bluebeard types and the dangerous stranger the real danger is the nice man passing the collection plate at church. It was found in a survey that the typical child rapist described themselves as "upstanding, religious men and good fathers and husbands."

I have oftened wondered if the repressive nature of religions towards sexuality warps the sexual development of their followers or if sexual deviants are attracted to the "sex is a sin" kind of mentality of many religious organisations.
just picture it

deBeauxOs

Re: Sappho's Salon
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2006, 12:59:13 PM »
Quote from: faith
... I have oftened wondered if the repressive nature of religions towards sexuality warps the sexual development of their followers or if sexual deviants are attracted to the "sex is a sin" kind of mentality of many religious organisations.
Two other factors - the victims may also become adult predators, often because of the 'normalization' process that they have been subjected to, particularly if the adults who molested them were trusted and admired persons - teacher, coach, priest, family member, etc.  And then of course, there is the religious bullying, where Christianity, Judaism and Islam give patriarchs/male figures total control over children.

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2006, 01:04:08 PM »

I have oftened wondered if the repressive nature of religions towards sexuality warps the sexual development of their followers or if sexual deviants are attracted to the "sex is a sin" kind of mentality of many religious organisations.

I don't nothing about sexual deviance amongst the religioso, but the first seems more likely. The mantra starts young before a person has even had a chance to do any deep searching within. I mean I just don't know. Skdadl said something within the culture, that seems right as well. I wonder if any studies have been done?

In any case looks like Haggart has done some admissions. We don't know if the admissions are about the drugs or that he has been closeted.

Haggard, a married father of five, denied the allegations, but the acting pastor of his church later said that Haggard had acknowledged some of the accusations were true.

"I just know that there has been some admission of indiscretion, not admission to all of the material that has been discussed, but there is an admission of some guilt," Ross Parsley told KKTV-TV of Colorado Springs.

Parlsey did not elaborate, but in an e-mail addressed to congregants, he wrote that the church's four-member board of overseers had since met with Haggard.

"It is important for you to know that he confessed to the overseers that some of the accusations against him are true. He has willingly and humbly submitted to the authority of the board of overseers, and will remain on administrative leave during the course of the investigation," the e-mail stated. A copy was obtained by KMGH-TV in Denver.

http://tinyurl.com/y88kbw  (aol news)

If Ted Haggard is gay, then his new journey has begun, as in who can be considered his new friends, and his old friends are now his new enemies.
Bizarre.

chcmd

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2006, 01:13:43 PM »
Quote from: deBeauxOs
... I have oftened wondered if the repressive nature of religions towards sexuality warps the sexual development of their followers or if sexual deviants are attracted to the "sex is a sin" kind of mentality of many religious organisations.
Two other factors - the victims may also become adult predators, often because of the 'normalization' process that they have been subjected to, particularly if the adults who molested them were trusted and admired persons - teacher, coach, priest, family member, etc.  And then of course, there is the religious bullying, where Christianity, Judaism and Islam give patriarchs/male figures total control over children.

I've often heard that being molested may contribute to being a molester, but my understanding is that girls are more likely (higher percentage) to be molested as children, yet pedophiles are more often than not male.  Seems like a disconnect somehow . . .

I do know that my experiences with being molested in no way gave me any inclination as an adult to imitate my abuser's actions, in fact if anything it increased my sensitivity towards others who have had to endure abuse.
Feel the fear and do it anyway

Return To TAT