Author Topic: Tekkie probs again  (Read 1800 times)

Toedancer

• View Profile
Tekkie probs again
« on: June 10, 2006, 11:58:28 AM »
I didn't know where to post this. Figured here was as good as any.
The computer hardrive sounds like an old, beat-up washing machine. It is grinding and groaning. I believe the hardrive is shutting down. I thought it would just go out like a lightbulb. Can't afford to have it fixed.

So just to let you know, I may be offline for a long while, if it does blow-up or something.  :?
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

oldgoat

• View Profile
Tekkie probs again
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2006, 12:11:25 PM »
We had something like that once.  Turned out to be the fan, and not the hard drive.  Also, we found that getting in back there and blowing out all the dust had a salutory effect.

Good luck with all that anyway though, it can sure be a pain in the patoot.
"Res melius evinissent cum Coca"

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
Tekkie probs again
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2006, 12:12:15 PM »
Is it possible it is just your anti virus scan running?

I don't know how old your machine is but some of the older ones are quite noisy when they need the disk clean up ran, or when scans are running or when they are opening files that sort of thing.

You could try rebooting.

Yes oldgoat makes a good point sometimes vacuuming over the fan area if you don't have air in a can is a good idea.
“Damaged people are dangerous. They know they can survive.” —  Josephine Hart

Toedancer

• View Profile
Tekkie probs again
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2006, 12:46:13 PM »
Yeah, I will try that. It faces an open window out to porch, which then faces another window opened with screen. For my hot flashes, ha!

But it really sounds like it's dying. I am not asking for it to do more than one job at a time until I check out the fan.
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

radiorahim

• View Profile
Tekkie probs again
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2006, 05:01:49 PM »
If your machine is facing an open window, it's likely very dirty inside.

Buy yourself a can of compressed air from a computer supply store, then unplug the machine, take the cover off and then blow out the power supply, the CPU fan...and anything else that's clogged with dust and dirt.

After you have cleaned out the machine, and before you put the cover back on...power it up and listen carefully to see if there are indeed any noises and where in the computer they are coming from.

You could indeed have a grinding hard drive that's working too hard...or on its last legs...or a dying power supply or dying CPU fan.

But since it's sittng by a window I'd do a clean out first.
Free software, Free society

Return To TAT