Author Topic: Books you are currently reading ...  (Read 68338 times)

Sleeping Sun

• View Profile
Books you are currently reading ...
« on: October 20, 2006, 08:16:46 AM »
I couldn't find anything along these lines already, so my apologies if I'm blind.  It's early on friday and I'm tired.

Anyways, I'm currently reading a really good book that was recommended by Mr. Sun.  It's Forty Signs of Rain by Kim Stanely Robinson.  Mr. Sun read this one, then borrowed the next book in the trilogy, Fifty Degrees Below, from the library and had it done in a few days.  Very engrossing  reading.  Basically a sort of science fiction, but in a very believable sense.  A 'what if' of global warming run amok and the current political inability to do anything.

Last night, I came across this great quote that I have to share.  Basically, a senate staffer is explaning a climate change bill to the white house science advisor, and the president, Mr. Shrub himself, wanders in.  At one point, the staffer brings up global warming, and Shrub needs to check with his science advisor on what their current policy is regarding acknowledging this doubious science.  

The advisor replies "We've agreed that there is general agreement that the observed warming is real."

For some reason, that made me want to cry and laugh and yell and shake my fist all at the same time.  

Long story short: the book looks to be as good as it was hyped to be.  I would recommend it.

Also, if anyone has any recommendations for books to read, the reading season has begun for me.  With my light therapy started, I have 30 dedicated minutes every morning to read.  Although, if I get caught in a good book, I end up reading more often, and sometime even (like today) bring it into work when I'm expecting a slow day.

Caissa

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2006, 08:34:59 AM »
That book is in my to be read pile.  I like Robinson's work he has a good novel called Antarctica.

One of the books I am reading now is called Earth Abides, a 1949 sf book  by George R. Stewart about humans being virtually wiped out by some mystery virus. Of course, even without humans the earth abides. I am at the point where the protagonist and his new partner are about to have a child.

Breeders  :x

You can read more about it at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth_Abides

Tommy Shanks

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2006, 08:54:53 AM »
I'm reading Clemente: The Passion and Grace of Baseball's Last Hero, a biography of Pirate outfielder Roberto Clemente.

Roberto Clemente was that rare athlete who rose above sports to become a symbol of larger themes. Born near the canebrakes of rural Carolina, Puerto Rico, on August 18, 1934, at a time when there were no blacks or Puerto Ricans playing organized ball in the United States, Clemente went on to become the greatest Latino player in the major leagues. He was, in a sense, the Jackie Robinson of the Spanish-speaking world,

It's been a great read so far.
We are the mods, we are the mods, we are, we are, we are the mods.

k'in

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2006, 11:41:42 AM »
Tommy-I would also recommend "Clemente" by Kal Wagenheim.  I have several Clemente books and it is the best one for content.

Roberto Clemente-another victim of Somoza.  If the earthquake relief was being distributed to the people (and not stolen) he would never have been on that plane to Nicaragua.

brebis noire

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2007, 12:46:40 PM »
I have been searching for a good read for a long time. Sigh.

And I finally found one at Black Cat Books in Lennoxville, my favourite little used bookstore.

Russian Women. Written by I. Grekova. Ha - y-greque-ova. Miss X, or Y rather. a Soviet mathematician (Yelena Sergevna Wentzel) who launched her literary career at the age of 50. The first story, Ladies' Hairdresser, is OK, but the second one, The Hotel Manager, is a real gem.

There was no organized women's movement in Soviet Russia, but women were a lot more free to pursue professions than over here at the same era, although they had to deal with a lot of baggage and expectations and sudden reversals in fortune. Meanwhile, the men were too busy fighting wars and having revolutions to hold them back. There's too much to describe here, but it's quite an interesting find.

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2007, 12:58:45 PM »
Written by I. Grekova. Ha - y-greque-ova.

Ha! indeed.

Croghan27

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2007, 02:48:23 PM »
A friend is excited by a writer named Maggie Wheeler

http://www.maggiewheeler.com/

She sounds interesting to me - and she lives (relatively speaking) just down the road.

Anyone out there in blogland know about her?

For a while there I thought all Canadian mystery writers had to be name Wright or some derivation of it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Wright_%28writer%29
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L._R._Wright

unless they were Howard Engel
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Howard_Engel
"It is also a good rule not to put overmuch confidence in the observational results that are put forward until they are confirmed by theory." -- Arthur Stanley Eddington

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2007, 02:51:19 PM »
Or Peter Robinson.

And there are others, of course, but Robinson is great.

Croghan27

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2007, 03:01:46 PM »
Alass .. in what many see as the cultural wasteland of northern Alberta - the only two Canadian mystery writers I could find were Wright/Wright.

(McMurray, of course is far from a cultural wasteland - I saw the Bolshoi Ballet there and it probably has more degrees per square book than any other place in Canada - mostly in engineering, but nevertheless....)

Howard Engel I got to know there  from his terrific "A Child's Christmas in Scarborough". That along with Dan Needles, Letters from Wingfield Farm are all that is good about Canadian writing. (no pun intended there).
"It is also a good rule not to put overmuch confidence in the observational results that are put forward until they are confirmed by theory." -- Arthur Stanley Eddington

deBeauxOs

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2007, 11:53:06 PM »
Other excellent Canadian mystery writers that I have read and recommend highly: Gail Bowen, Giles Blunt,  Anthony Bidulka and David Rotenberg.

Berlynn

• View Profile
    • http://politicsnpoetry.wordpress.com
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2007, 12:16:21 AM »
Hey deBeauxOs, you have two Saskatchewanians on that list!  Write on!  I first met Anthony and Gail at local writing conferences.
Never retreat, never explain, never apologize--get the thing done and let them howl.  -- Nellie McClung

chester

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2007, 12:55:52 PM »
i just read miriam toews' " a boy of good breeding".  although it did remind me of john irving-without-all-the-violence. it was good and would make an excellent movie i think.  paging time bandidt, paging time bandit.

shaolin

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2007, 12:10:09 AM »
I finally got around to reading 'The Dispossessed' by Ursula Le Guinn.  One of the first sci fi things I've ever read (though as I understand it, 'soft sci fi').  It has tempted me to read more, though I'm not sure I'll be as intrigued, minus the anarchist bent to the story!  Well worth it though, and quite a quick read too.

Mandos

• View Profile
    • http://politblogo.typepad.com/
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2007, 12:23:48 AM »
I just finished "Deliverer" by C. J. Cherryh, the third book of her third Foreigner series.  Man, she's an amazing SF writer.  Even after 9 books, it's still a fascinating read.

Oh, and, The Dispossessed isn't that "soft" as an SF story.  It's pretty hardcore SF, all things considered.  Milieu/society SF is still perfectly SF.

shaolin

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2007, 12:31:11 AM »
Any recommendations for other milieu/society stuff, Mandos?  Cuz that's mostly what I liked about it...

Return To TAT