Author Topic: 13 Women  (Read 2369 times)

13 Women
« on: May 27, 2006, 06:22:37 PM »
Great book! Be prepared for lots of tears. Not me, though. I don't cry easy.

Personal accounts by 13 women who have experienced the prison life in Canada, States and Brazil. Please, please pick this book up.

I will post more about it later. Actually, I've got a parallel thread on EM... so I will copy some of that over here.

vmichel

• View Profile
13 Women
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2006, 12:58:14 PM »
I just requested this from the library. There is a wait list, though, so it will be a little bit. But I'm pretty excited to read it, and will post here once I do!

13 Women
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2006, 09:42:05 PM »
That's awesome, vmichel!

vmichel

• View Profile
13 Women
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2006, 02:47:09 PM »
Hey eph, I finally finished this book. It was good -- thanks for the recommendation!

I have mixed feelings about it. I thought that the women's stories were very powerful, but I was less impressed by some of the commentary from the editors. I was struck by the woman who committed welfare fraud in order to attend college. I just keep thinking that it would have been so much cheaper for the state, in the long run, to let her keep collecting 3 welfare checks until she graduated. It is wrong to defraud the system, and I suppose she deserved a sentence, but looking at it strictly financially it would have made a lot more sense to let her keep the checks.

I had a hard time with the women who had multiple children scattered to the wind. I felt bad for their families who had to pick up and raise them -- grandparents who thought they were done, or sisters who didn't want children, having a child thrust into their life like that.

Return To TAT