Author Topic: Books you are currently reading ...  (Read 69298 times)

Holly Stick

• View Profile
Books you are currently reading ...
« Reply #45 on: June 17, 2007, 03:06:23 PM »
Welcome.  (Just to show it's not all kitties.)
Economics is a human creation, borders are human creations and nature doesn’t give a damn about these things. - David Suzuki

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
« Reply #46 on: June 17, 2007, 03:12:10 PM »
:welcome sadly I don't read much anymore unless it's onlne, but I'll put that on my list of "to read"
“Damaged people are dangerous. They know they can survive.” —  Josephine Hart

brebis noire

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 17, 2007, 03:12:27 PM »
Welcome BCseawalker.  :)
I just remember the title of Kingsolver's book of essays: High Tide in Tucson.

I'm sure Toedancer would love that book.

BCseawalker

• View Profile
    • http://economicusridiculous.blogspot.com/
« Reply #48 on: June 17, 2007, 03:19:16 PM »
Thanks for the welcome, everyone. Yes, skdadl, we met over at that other place.

Re The Poisonwood Bible, I finished reading it and returned it to the library three days ago, but its affect continues to haunt me.

I tend to race through books, urged on by wanting to know the story, rather than for any appreciation of the author's writing. Kingsolver's writing, particularly in this book, forced me to slow down; her characters say so many important things so clearly and beautifully.

Croghan27

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 17, 2007, 04:53:11 PM »
WELCOME BCseawalker ....

I've just finished reading and recommend highly is The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver (1998).

Could well be one of my favourite books of all time. Opra had it on her 'reading list' - but that did not detract from its worth. A whole chapter in palindromes ..... WOW  :shock:
"It is also a good rule not to put overmuch confidence in the observational results that are put forward until they are confirmed by theory." -- Arthur Stanley Eddington

Croghan27

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 17, 2007, 07:28:21 PM »
This is the second day I have taken a stroll down the Sparklin Street Mall, and stopped at the Coles Books near the east end. I have gone through many addictions in my life, books are probably the oldest - I love libraries and book stores. I spent several rapturous days in Edinburgh one summer going through old book stores.

It is sort of an amazing store, this Coles .... they still carry Rachel Carson's Silent Spring on their active shelves. I also found an old treasure ... W.E.B. Dubois' and his The Souls of Black Folks. which some libraries do not even carry.  :D
"It is also a good rule not to put overmuch confidence in the observational results that are put forward until they are confirmed by theory." -- Arthur Stanley Eddington

« Reply #51 on: June 18, 2007, 11:37:04 AM »
Silent Spring was/is a fantastic book. Even though it's so old, much of it is still very relevant today, especially parts like the dishonesty and murderous mindset of the powers that be in biochemical companies and the government cover-ups. The book has got me inspecting everybody's front lawn now to see if people are using pesticides on their front lawn. Funny, I haven't seen similar warning signs on public parks, yet I know Hamilton uses pesticides on our public parks. I don't have a link to this statisitc - heard it through word of mouth - apparently, the rate of child cancer in Halifax dropped by 30% after the city banned the use of pesticides in its parks. There has been talk of doing that in Hamilton, but there is much resistance, and I don't fully understand where that resistance is coming from.

One thing that stuck with me from the book was that for every instance where industrially-manufactured chemicals were used, Carson demonstrated another incident in another part of the world where natural, organic methods were used to combat the same problem. Solutions typically involved introducing another species of plant or animal that devoured the problem plant/animal. And in every single instance, the effect of the non-chemical solution was far more effective, long-lasting and cheaper, and to boot, nobody died because of it. So, why we do continue to use the poisons?

BCseawalker, thanks for recommending The Poisonwood Bible. Hopefully, my lover will bring it home for me to read today. I desperately need a good fiction book.

Caissa

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 18, 2007, 12:29:16 PM »
I started reading the Prison Diary of Ho Chi Minh this morning. It consists of poetry he wrote while imprisoned by Chiang Kiashek's forces in 1941-2.

Papal Bull

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 18, 2007, 05:35:42 PM »
Just finished another go through with "The Midwich Cuckoos," I'm about half way though Howard Zinn's "A People's History of the United States," I finished "The Man In The High Castle" by Dick, I started chewing on "Fight Club," and I'm debating what book to read next. I think I want to read some more Mishima, Oe, or Murukami...something Japanese.
As idle as a painted ship
Upon a painted ocean.

- Samuel Taylor Colerdige

Croghan27

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 18, 2007, 06:53:38 PM »
I just read again, and printed off for a Fundamental Christian I work with Terry Eagleton's terrific response to Dawkin's The God Delusion in the London Review of Books.

Eagleton, who shows both his Catholic Irish upbringing and extensive Marxist studies and writings has no time for Dawkins as a commentator on either science or theology.

"
Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology."

deBeauxOs

« Reply #55 on: June 26, 2007, 12:40:20 PM »
Just finished John Irving's 'The Fourth Hand'  Eeeeeyuk.  The publishing industry is truly f***ed, if a piece of dreck like that gets printed and Anne's novels sit in a drawer or on dusty disks.  In fact, I'm so pissy about it that I will start a new thread, dedicated to summing up in 30 words or less, in the style of TV Guide capsules, books not worth the trees destroyed to print them, films that wasted people's time, passing events that are barely worth noting unless one does so nastily, politicians, etc. etc.

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 26, 2007, 04:33:58 PM »
I have The Poisonwood Bible, but never finished reading it. Reading the responses about it here has piqued my interest in reading it again, which I will do soon.

Timebandit

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 26, 2007, 05:16:27 PM »
Quote from: brebis noire
I loved The Poisonwood Bible - I read it in 2001, if I remember correctly. I tried some other Kingsolver books after that, but I didn't think any of them were nearly as good. I did like her book of essays however.
She's a biologist by training, and has a really wonderful way of writing about nature, animal life and such.
I think she has a new book out, something growing food or documenting her family's year of growing their own food.

I started it a few years ago, got as far as the little blond 5 yr old disappearing and that was that.  I think my wee blond Ms T was 4 at the time, and disappearance is one of my big bugaboos.   So I decided that holidays were too short for nightmares and put it away.  I think I passed it on after it sat, neglected, for about a year.  Very rare a book sits unread in my house...
Whenever anyone has offended me, I try to raise my soul so high that the offense cannot reach it. -Rene Descartes, philosopher and mathematician (1596-1650)

Papal Bull

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 27, 2007, 04:21:43 PM »
I just finished a People's History of the United States. Damn. Good read.

I started reading Fight Club a few nights ago. I plowed through 100 pages and had to stop. Fight Club is AWFUl. It is so bad I can't even capitalize the "l" at the end of awful. I just give up.

I'm debating what to read next. My bookshelf has lots of ability of second read-throughs. Also...the new Richard Pipe's book on Russian conservaism is out...So I may have to read that.
Upon a painted ocean.

Papal Bull

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 10, 2007, 09:38:39 PM »
HARRY POTTER AND THE... :spy:
Upon a painted ocean.

Return To TAT