Author Topic: Techie Tools  (Read 9597 times)

radiorahim

• View Profile
Re: Techie Tools
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2008, 10:22:00 PM »
Here's a site that has some online tools to assist you in making your website accessible to folks who have some kind of colour deficit in their vision.   You can view your site the way a "colour blind" person would see it...and hopefully make the necessary colour corrections.

http://www.vischeck.com/vischeck/vischeckURL.php

Folks are starting to surf the net from their mobile phones.   If you want to see what your website looks like to a mobile phone user you can install the "Small Screen Rendering" extension in Firefox.   I'm not sure if it works in Firefox 3.0 yet.

You can get it at this link (scroll down the page a bit).
http://disruptive-innovations.com/products/index.html

You can view in small screen mode "natively" using the "Opera" web browser.   I'm not normally a fan of proprietary software but I've always had a soft spot for "Opera".   Opera makes its money supplying the mobile phone version of it's web browser to mainly European mobile phone companies.   The browser for installation on computers is "free as in free beer"...but not "free as in free speech" and is available for Windows, MacOSX and GNU/Linux.

http://www.opera.com
Free software, Free society

BCseawalker

• View Profile
    • http://economicusridiculous.blogspot.com/
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2008, 11:39:53 PM »
Can anyone explain to me, in kindergarten language, how Trackback works? I've perused the Web, checked out Wikipedia's explanation, and the tech still baffles me.

For my blog, I'm using Blogger, which doesn't currently enable Trackback. It does allow what it calls backlinks and Blogger's Help section about backlinks doesn't, er, help.

So one question I have is this... I've visited blogs that show the Trackback link. I've clicked it and nothing happens - or least nothing permanently happens. It looks like a page refresh occurs (in FF 3) and there's a quick change in the URL in the address bar; then there's a reversion to the original address. Am I supposed to see something else happen? If so, what?

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2008, 07:57:08 AM »
all a trackback is is an "automatic" comment which shows that someone has referenced and linked to a post. If the trackback code is not inserted or is turned off they won't show.

backlinks are the same thing just different name.

Not all links will show as trackbacks however, the trackback/backlink is slightly different.

On blogger you can get this url by clicking link to this post, on wordpress it shows as trackback url
“Damaged people are dangerous. They know they can survive.” —  Josephine Hart

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2012, 09:36:20 AM »
I have an odd problem. I'm getting logged off all blogpost sites.

Several of the sites I look at are blogpost, these include some professional-related blogs. It is very bizarre.

I don't know if I'm asking this question under the right board heading; I can move it if needed.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

pogge

• View Profile
    • Peace, order and good government, eh?
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2012, 11:32:31 AM »
I have an odd problem. I'm getting logged off all blogpost sites.

Have you tried deleting cookies? Note: if you're not in the habit of deleting all cookies from time to time, it's a good idea to make sure you have user name/password info on hand for all your favorites because deleting the cookie from a site effectively logs you out. A problem with a cookie, e.g. a glitch in setting expiry date, can also log you out.

pogge

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2012, 11:37:08 AM »
Hmmmm. I hope I didn't break your computer.

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2012, 02:03:17 PM »
No, not at all - I've just been busy working. I've deleted cookies before - it has never harmed my computer.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

pogge

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2012, 05:55:51 PM »
No, not at all - I've just been busy working. I've deleted cookies before - it has never harmed my computer.
I was being cute. As often happens when I'm trying to be cute, it didn't go well. You'd think I'd learn but, well, no.

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2012, 06:19:33 PM »
Trying to be cute is cute in and of itself pogge.
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

Return To TAT