Author Topic: June food!  (Read 22728 times)

'lance

• View Profile
June food!
« Reply #60 on: June 16, 2006, 04:34:02 PM »
"... does not stand up to serious examination."

Surprised, etc....

(ETA:

The line is, of course, pinched, like all my good lines. In this case it's from Star Trek, of all things).

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
June food!
« Reply #61 on: June 16, 2006, 04:38:47 PM »
The thing about Star Trek, y'know, is that there are all these young persons around now, like yourself, who know the lines better than I do, even though I sat through the original at the time.

It is a major cultural marker. If only I could remember that without being reminded.

Could you hand me my ear trumpet, there's a good fellow.  :)

'lance

• View Profile
June food!
« Reply #62 on: June 16, 2006, 04:54:15 PM »
Quote from: skdadl
The thing about Star Trek, y'know, is that there are all these young persons around now, like yourself, who know the lines better than I do, even though I sat through the original at the time.

Yabbut skdadl, that time was 1968 or thereabouts, yes?

... do I really need to go further in that direction?

Could you hand me my ear trumpet, there's a good fellow.  :)

Well, not so fast, dear lady.

(a) I had my hearing tested in 2000, and again this spring, and there's been a slight-but-measurable loss; and
(b) My optometrist has been delicately hinting at the possibility of bifocals in the not-too-distant future. My not-so-distant future, that's to say.

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
June food!
« Reply #63 on: June 16, 2006, 04:56:43 PM »
Are you here to tell me that you weren't even BORN in 1968?   :shock:

Bi-focs: for me, those are so yesteryear. I now have ... cataracts! Top that, whippersnapper.    :wink:

'lance

• View Profile
June food!
« Reply #64 on: June 16, 2006, 05:05:08 PM »
Are you here to tell me that you weren't even BORN in 1968?   :shock:

Certainly not. Did you never look at my babbleprofile? I was born the year the Beatles first touched down in Leftpondia. For me, this year ought to be the Answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe, and Everything -- at least numerically.

I was trying delicately -- as befits a gentleman -- to ask if you're really confident you would remember absolutely everything about 1968, or thereabouts.

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
June food!
« Reply #65 on: June 16, 2006, 05:17:46 PM »
Ah. 1964. I remember it well.

1968? Well, yes and no. I remember when Martin Luther King was killed. And then Bobby was killed. I remember watching his funeral train travel from New York to Washington, killing a couple of bystanders along the way, sadly enough. An enormous choir sang the Battle Hymn of the Republic on the Washington Mall as his body passed by.

Was that the year that Tommy Douglas had to fly to LA to help Shirley with the charge that she was helping the Black Panthers to buy more than food?

I remember the police riots in Chicago that summer at the Democratic National Convention, the McCarthy delegates dragged out of their hotel rooms by the cops and beaten, a clueless Hubert Humphrey winning the stupid election ...

And then I remember watching Nixon elected, and thinking ... WTF? We got the used-car salesman back? How how how?

Herr Magoo

• View Profile
June food!
« Reply #66 on: June 16, 2006, 11:30:12 PM »
I found that if you like your hummous to be nice and creamy, retain some of the liquid that you drain off of your canned chickpeas.  When everything has been added and it's all whirling away in the blender, add some of this liquid, slowly, until the hummous is just the right consistency to not clump up (in other words, it'll look like a milkshake crossed with a whirlpool).

I would use a blender over a food processor, if you have the choice.  And whirl it on the highest setting once it's going good.  A minute or two at least.  And a nice serving tip is to spread it thickly in the middle of a plate, make a small well in the centre, and pour in a teaspoon or so of good olive oil and sprinkle over some finely chopped fresh parsley.
ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø,

faith

• View Profile
    • http://www.faithloverobertson.com
june food
« Reply #67 on: June 17, 2006, 01:53:19 AM »
It has been very cool on the westcoast this year and I thought I would make a soup from some ham bones I had saved, so I made my stock from the ham with lots of chunks of ham for the finished soup.
I found a recipe that had a tabelspoon of curry paste (hot), 2 tablespoons of fresh minced ginger, 3 fat cloves of garlic which went into the stock(6 cups) along with 2 more cups of water and simmered along with onions, 1  can of tomatoes and 2/3c red lentils. Towards the end of cooking time you added about a 1/4 cup of fresh chopped parsely, juice from 1/2 a lemon and salt and pepper, and 3 kinds of canned beans (red kidney, black and chick peas). The soup was a huge hit even with picky eaters in our house.

The ginger and curry paste were great additions.
just picture it

Return To TAT