Author Topic: Soup suggestions  (Read 2811 times)

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
Soup suggestions
« on: October 29, 2006, 02:22:00 PM »
I just put together a soup with garlic, onion, beets, cabbage, wee bit of carrot, rutabaga

I'm low on herbs and spices but any suggestions?
“Damaged people are dangerous. They know they can survive.” —  Josephine Hart

brebis noire

• View Profile
Soup suggestions
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2006, 02:24:43 PM »
a bit of tomato paste
dill
sour cream

Smachnoho!

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
Soup suggestions
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2006, 02:27:57 PM »
Borscht! You guys are reinventing borscht!  :D

A little bit of chopped ham or bacon wouldn't go amiss, either in the soup or crisped up and crumbled on top as a garnish.

lagatta

• View Profile
Soup suggestions
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2006, 03:19:00 PM »
Debra did reinvent borscht - I've seen several "hearty" borscht recipies that are identical to hers - well, that is what people have in abundance this time of year, in Eastern Europe as well as here.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

brebis noire

• View Profile
Soup suggestions
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2006, 03:28:25 PM »
Arrr. I have three extra kids to feed this afternoon. (notice how I'm hiding out at my computer while the five of them wreak havoc in the rest of the house...there's one kid keeps coming in to see if I'll let him use the computer.  :piratepost  no way, I say, I'm WORKING, can't you see??)

So I'd better give in now (turn the computer off) and go make some soup. I have pumpkin purée and chicken stock in the fridge, hopefully I can come up with something they'll all deign to eat....)

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
Soup suggestions
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2006, 03:32:09 PM »
Quote from: lagatta
Debra did reinvent borscht - I've seen several "hearty" borscht recipies that are identical to hers - well, that is what people have in abundance this time of year, in Eastern Europe as well as here.

exactly! I happened to have little bits of each of those things in the fridge.

I'm making a pot roast for supper so maybe I'll add some broth and a bit of meat from that.

The soup is for lunch tomorrow.
“Damaged people are dangerous. They know they can survive.” —  Josephine Hart

chester

• View Profile
Soup suggestions
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2006, 03:47:34 PM »
I took a friend to the lake with me to take chesters mast down ( :shock:  what ever are you thinking? i'm not talking in the 3rd person, chester is the name of the boat :lol: ).  we had lunch at the wonderful back home deli in Elbow and the potato chowder was fantastic!  thick and hot with smokie ham overtones mmmmmmmmm.

kuri

• View Profile
Soup suggestions
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2006, 03:54:01 PM »
That borscht sounds good! :D

I got a curried pumpkin soup in the slow-cooker right now. Made from the cut-out pieces of my jack-o-latern.

Now I want to get some beets to do up a borscht. My mom's yearly ritual is make a humongous amount and freeze individual portions for those winter days when you want something quick but don't feel like cooking.

deBeauxOs

Soup suggestions
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2006, 04:11:01 PM »
There is a pot of broth simmering for my version of chicken soup.  When done, it is a hybrid; a heaping spoonful of Patak's Madras curry paste, the broth redolent with thyme, leeks, garlic, carrots, celery, barley, apple sauce and chicken becomes a mulligatawny by way of a cock-a-leeky soup.

Return To TAT