Author Topic: The g'night thread  (Read 4706 times)

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
The g'night thread
« on: November 07, 2006, 06:22:39 PM »
I'm knackered. My dentist doesn't know how to quit. She works for two hours at a time. I always leave feeling dizzy.

I'm sort of curious to know what the Merkins have done today with their voting, but I am also so tired for a multitude of reasons that I am barely gonna be able to stagger into kitchen, feed kitties and self, and then flake out.

So I'm thinking now that tomorrow morning we will all wake to find that the USian Dems have ended up with so much more power than they ever expected that they will actually rise on their hind legs and turn into democrats again, which would be a major improvement for the rest of the world too ...

Well. A gril can dream, can't she? Sweet dreams, all.

Toedancer

• View Profile
The g'night thread
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2006, 06:25:43 PM »
Sleep and dream tite my friend. Tonight I got things to do and say. Dreamin is the best way to defeat reality. Dreaming, ahhhh.
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

The g'night thread
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2006, 06:27:46 PM »
Good night, skdadl. You do have more dentist appointments than anyone else I know. I better start brushing my teeth at least once every day to avoid ending up where you are!  :shock:  :wink:  :lol:

The Dems having greater power is a good start in your dreams. In time, let's hope we can dream of complete withdrawal of all troops and oppressive corporations from the third world. *hugs*

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
The g'night thread
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2006, 06:30:26 PM »
night night  :tbwave:
“Damaged people are dangerous. They know they can survive.” —  Josephine Hart

Holly Stick

• View Profile
The g'night thread
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2006, 09:53:01 PM »
Just heard the Stuart McLean story again: "At night, there are bunnies..."

:bunny  :bunny  :bunny  :bed:  :bunny  :bunny  :bunny
Economics is a human creation, borders are human creations and nature doesn’t give a damn about these things. - David Suzuki

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
The g'night thread
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2006, 06:29:56 AM »
Quote from: ephemeral
Good night, skdadl. You do have more dentist appointments than anyone else I know. I better start brushing my teeth at least once every day to avoid ending up where you are!  :shock:  :wink:  :lol:

:rotfl:

Ah, it's not as bad as it sounds, eph. It's just that my dentist is a fiend. It takes two very long visits for her just to clean my teeth, eg, and that has more to do with her perfectionism than anything else.

Lately, though, she has been replacing old fillings (and some of mine are very old) with new ones. That's not because I've decayed but because fillings do get old and also dentists have theories about new substances to use for fillings. All my old fillings used to look metallic; the new ones look like teeth.

And she gets so excited as she sculpts little cusps for me.

The only bad thing I'm doing, apparently, is grinding my teeth when I sleep. Sigh.

'lance

• View Profile
The g'night thread
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2006, 12:03:03 PM »
Your dentist does the actual cleaning herself, doesn't have a hygienist do it? Impressive. My gyu has someone else do the dirty work.

But he's been replacing my old fillings too, gradually, and he also made me a "night guard" because of teeth-grinding. I told him I was almost certain I didn't grind my teeth at night, but sometimes grind them during the day (workplace anxiety). Close enough, he said -- if you grind while awake you're almost certain to do it while asleep, too.

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
The g'night thread
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2006, 12:32:02 PM »
Yes -- that seems to be my story too.

Twenty years ago, when I first met this dentist, she said to me that she was impressed that I was not a teeth-grinder. Now, she says, she can see that I am grinding my teeth. I guess that is some measure of something for my autobiography.

I don't think that I grind much during the day, although I became aware a few years ago of how constantly I was pursing my lips, so maybe there is some teeth-grinding going on at the same time. Lip-pursing leads mainly to lines about the mouth, which I also now have. I blame too many conversations with block-headed doctors for the lip-pursing.

What I have always done that I gather is bad for my teeth although it is at the same time good for our guts is to love crunchy foods. I just adore a good crunch, or at least a good chew.

To my amazement, dentist says that this is bad. In itself, my love for, eg, whole grains is doing my teeth in.

But whole grains are good for my guts, I protest. Maybe, she replies, but they are killing your teeth.

And then she gets all thoughtful and says that she thinks we are now outliving our teeth. Nature did not expect us to live as long as we now do, certainly not with good teeth, and it is only modern dentistry that keeps most of us going past forty.

Which I suspect is pretty much the truth.

I'm going to have to get a night guard too.

Me? Gnash and gnaw much in my sleep?   :shock:

Holly Stick

• View Profile
The g'night thread
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2006, 12:39:55 PM »
I'm a grinder, too; probably at night, definitely during the day.  While playing games on the computer, I tend to get a tune going in my head and find myself clacking my teeth together in time with it.
Economics is a human creation, borders are human creations and nature doesn’t give a damn about these things. - David Suzuki

'lance

• View Profile
The g'night thread
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2006, 12:51:49 PM »
This has happened to me twice now. I'd be going to an older dentist, someone getting near retirement. In one case this went on for several years, in the other I made only two visits. He'd take a look every so often and say, no problems here. Then he'd retire or I'd move or something, and I'd start in with someone younger. The new gyu would shake his head dolefully and say, all right, no major problems, but a bunch of small ones, and proceed to drill 'n' fill.

If I were cynical, I'd conclude that the younger gyus were worried about their mortgages, while the older ones, having paid them off, were inclined to coast a bit and think of the Bahamas.

Tommy Shanks

• View Profile
The g'night thread
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2006, 01:37:18 PM »
I'm glad I'm not the only one cynical about dentists.

I've been 'round the same bush 'lance. Three times I've gone to new, younger dentists after my periods with older ones. Three times I've been told I'll need major work, from everything from my wisdon teeth need to come out, to all my teeth falling out because I have pago-pago, and I'll need implants.

Each time, including in the past year, I've sought out an experienced dentist, who reports that, yes, still nothing, not a cavity, teeth straight, gums healthy, no problems.

It makes one think.
We are the mods, we are the mods, we are, we are, we are the mods.

'lance

• View Profile
The g'night thread
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2006, 01:49:56 PM »
If my gyu ever tries telling me I need gum grafts, or some such nonsense, I'm outta there. At that point I'll know he's doing unnecessary stuff.

In fairness though, there's a little more to my story. When I went last year and had a bunch of work done, it had been several years since I'd seen a dentist of any kind, while I hadn't had any actual work done since 1981. And the previous old gyu had told me, plausibly enough, that my then-20-year-old amalgam fillings were showing signs of wear and cracking, and would eventually need replacement. So I don't think I, or rather my dental plan, was getting ripped off all that badly.

brebis noire

• View Profile
The g'night thread
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2006, 02:01:58 PM »
If I were cynical, I'd conclude that the younger gyus were worried about their mortgages, while the older ones, having paid them off, were inclined to coast a bit and think of the Bahamas.

My young dentist guy here (taking the kids today) definitely read the career planning manual on "The Wealthy Dentist: How to Get There from Here". Unfortunately for him, he chose the wrong region of the province, because most people can't or won't pay for expensive work. So he basically works like crazy, and delegates everything he can to the hygienists.

A few months ago I went in for a procedure that's something like a gum graft, except he used a permanent resin to cover my receding gum at one specific place. It involved some grinding down of the tooth surface to make it adhere, and when I found that out, I adopted the Very Nervous Patient Posture and Behaviour. He got impatient with me very quickly and asked if I wanted to be frozen - so of course I asked if the freezing was more painful than the actual procedure. He said "of course it is".  :roll: So I told him that if he could just be a wee bit patient and talk me through it, I'd be OK. So he did, and I was.

So it cost about $70, and I have the impression that I had no work done on me at all.  :? I'm not going back for any more of that nonsense.

Return To TAT