Author Topic: Is transgendered a proper noun?  (Read 16306 times)

arborman

• View Profile
    • http://bohemiancoast.blogspot.com
Is transgendered a proper noun?
« on: November 08, 2006, 04:37:18 PM »
So while working on a report this afternoon, I noticed that my MS Word program automatically capitalized 'transgendered' for some reason.  

This leads me to ask - is it a proper noun (in the capitalized sense)?  If not, why does Microsoft feel a need to capitalize it?

Trivial I know, but word processors have a much larger impact on the way our language works then we think (accursed green squiggly lines!).  I'm a big fan of grammar, but can't seem to figure out why they would decide to capitalize that one gender identity.

A quick test tells me that other gender identities are not capitalized automatically.  Odd.
The pleasures of the table are for every man, of every land, and no matter what place in history or society; they can be a part of all his other pleasures, and they last the longest, to console him when he has outlived the rest.

deBeauxOs

« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2006, 04:41:51 PM »
Perhaps you should run a spell check; it may have confused Transgender with Transylvania.   :P

***Let's do the Time Warp again.***

'lance

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2006, 04:42:30 PM »
I've never seen "transgendered" Capitalized, but then I'm not as regular a reader of the gay press, say, as I might be. Perhaps Xtra! or some other such paper would be worth checking out.

I hate to sound as fervent as your typical new convert -- I'm not, really, I've always hated Microsoft and it's only lately that I've started taking the trouble to free myself of them -- but you might just as well ask, why does Microsoft do anything? Truly, they work in mysterious ways, their misdeeds to conceal.

Quote from: deBeauxOs
Perhaps you should run a spell check; it may have confused Transgender with Transylvania.   :P

***Let's do the Time Warp again.***

It's... astounding.

arborman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2006, 05:13:29 PM »
I believe Frankenfurter was a transvestite.

Now just a jump to the left...

As for the topic, I suppose it's trivial, but it is interesting more as a signifier of how our culture views some issues/people still.  A person might be gay, or straight, but they also might be Transgendered.   :shock:

And now everyone who writes the word on Ubiquisoft will capitalize it too, further underlining the shock of it.  

I'd bet 20 years ago people were Gay or Lesbian, or straight.

Ok, I'm going to let this go now...
The pleasures of the table are for every man, of every land, and no matter what place in history or society; they can be a part of all his other pleasures, and they last the longest, to console him when he has outlived the rest.

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2006, 05:23:04 PM »
On EM it was pointed out that it should be transgender not transgendered.

the poster was transgender and likened it to saying gayed or straighted.

Just passing it along.
“Damaged people are dangerous. They know they can survive.” —  Josephine Hart

suzette

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2006, 06:34:19 PM »
Quote from: Debra
On EM it was pointed out that it should be transgender not transgendered.

the poster was transgender and likened it to saying gayed or straighted.

Just passing it along.
Quite so.  My professional writing work is centred on the LGBT world, and the accepted convention here is "transgender". I've never seen "transgendered" written before, actually. And I've certainly never seen it capitalised.

arborman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2006, 07:01:43 PM »
Hmm, 'transgendered' seems pretty common in the policy research round these parts.  I see the point though - I'll use transgender from now on.

Still don't know why MS wants to capitalize it though.

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2006, 07:21:06 PM »
transgender or transgendered (I've seen both, follow your style guide and the input of T people in your part of the world) should only be in caps if the other possible sexual orientations are.

I don't like it in caps, myself, as I think people are not only their sexual orientation, but that is open to debate.

The French wiki (first that pops up on my ordi) renders transgendered as transgenre.

I'd definitely ask the client for the preference...
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

deBeauxOs

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2007, 10:29:10 PM »
The question is partly answered by this blog, wherein the authorconsiders how transgendered people were removed from a landmark gay civil rights bill in the US that would protect gays and lesbians from workplace discrimination.
And to those who would contend that a small victory is still better than total defeat, please consider: it’s a lot easier for lesbians/gays to ‘pass’ than transpeople. With that in mind, which group is most at risk of facing discrimination in the work place, especially if someone is in the process of transitioning or has already transitioned during their tenure of employment? By removing transpeople from the proposed legislation, the Dems have given the shaft to the ones most in need of its protection.

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2007, 07:51:42 AM »
That bill is being much discussed right now on USian blogs. The weight of opinion on the ones I see most often tilts in favour of mattbastard's position ("the whole loaf or nothing"), but then it would, given what I read. It is bound to be very divisive.

matttbastard

• Fuck with me and FIND OUT.
    • View Profile
    • http://bastardlogic.wordpress.com
re: 'transgender' vs 'transgendered'
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2007, 10:39:14 PM »
Debra is correct - 'transgender' is preferred. That said, if I'm not careful I find myself unconsciously slipping between the two; sometimes even my "enlightened" (snicker) inner editor doesn't catch the 'ed'.

(Interestingly enough, my Firefox spell checker redlines both variations.)

Thanks for the link love, btw (even if the broader subject was tangential to the original discussion ;-) ).  The legislation in question may not affect me personally, what with being Canadian and having the privilege as a bisexual male to easily 'pass' (especially considering my current involvement in an opposite-sex relationship). But it's like Populuxe said in ObWi comments:
"trans people were on the front lines of the fight for queer rights first. Abandoning them now is like pissing on Sylvia Rivera's grave."

(Cross-border) solidarity for equality. :wink:
I have no country to fight for; my country is the earth, and I am a citizen of the world.

deBeauxOs

Re: re: 'transgender' vs 'transgendered'
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2007, 12:02:27 PM »
Quote from: matttbastard
Debra is correct - 'transgender' is preferred. ...
Of course, active rather than passive form.  It makes sense, grammatically and politically.   8)

matttbastard

• Fuck with me and FIND OUT.
    • View Profile
    • http://bastardlogic.wordpress.com
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2007, 12:18:28 AM »
:mrgreen:  :hug:
I have no country to fight for; my country is the earth, and I am a citizen of the world.

Croghan27

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2008, 02:52:57 PM »
lagatta - while looking into something else, I came upon a list of people who had ... well, here is the Wiki introduction to the list:
The people on this list have been selected because their fame or notoriety is in some way due or connected to their transgender identity or behaviour*

A member of the list is Micheline Anne Montreuil whom they describe as 'Quebec lawyer, teacher, politician'. Apparantly Ms. Montreuil was chosen as a candidate for the NDP in the riding of Quebec. (After running as a Liberal in 1984.)  :annoyed:

The rest of the article notes she was 'deselected' as a candidate last December. She claims it was because of her transgendered condition, the NDP says she was too 'overly confrontational with both the media and her colleagues in the party'**

Do you know anything about this - it seems to have happened less than a month ago - but I have seen nada.

*  Just what transgenderedmeans seems to be something of a slippery concept - Wiki tries to define it with:
a general term applied to a variety of individuals, behaviors, and groups involving tendencies that diverge from the normative gender role (woman or man) commonly, but not always, assigned at birth, as well as the role traditionally held by society.
but notes it has not always been thus.

**  Matthew McLauchlin, a spokesperson for the party is a hard person to foist discrimination upon, Wiki says of him: He is openly gay and is also an avid enthusiast of the Montreal Metro
"It is also a good rule not to put overmuch confidence in the observational results that are put forward until they are confirmed by theory." -- Arthur Stanley Eddington

Toedancer

• View Profile
Re: Is transgendered a proper noun?
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2008, 10:33:24 AM »
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

Return To TAT