Author Topic: Colours?  (Read 10816 times)

lagatta

• View Profile
Colours?
« on: November 09, 2006, 11:33:44 AM »
What are your favourite colours? Not only in the abstract, but are there colours you prefer for clothing, rooms and exteriors, vehicles (bicycles, cars, backhoes, etc) or anything else?

And are there colours - or colour schemes - you can't abide?
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Herr Magoo

• View Profile
Colours?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2006, 11:36:38 AM »
As a guy, I'm fond of Makita Blue, DeWalt Yellow, and so on.  :)
ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø,

'lance

• View Profile
Colours?
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2006, 11:39:25 AM »
Dark red for me -- preferably in the form of Burgundy burgundy. Though any reasonable facsimile thereof will do.

ETA:

That's my favourite, rather than a colour scheme I "can't abide." In backhoes, I'd have to plump for the traditional Caterpillar yellow. Call me a traditionalist.

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
Colours?
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2006, 11:40:32 AM »
RED!

I heart red.

A decade or so ago I went through a blue-and-yellow period, especially for kitchen stuff, and I still quite like the effect, although I'm not sure I'd do it now.

I seem to end up with a lot of reddish-brown or camel accessories -- shoes, boots, purses, etc. I admire those colours, I suppose, more than love them.

kuri

• View Profile
Colours?
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2006, 12:06:57 PM »
For clothes: orange, turquoise and green. I was pleasantly surprised to learn I look pretty good in bright orange last winter, so I've brightened up my wardrobe a lot since then. Still have a lot of brown, black and charcoal, though.

For decor, I'm trying to play against type. Most bathrooms have cool colours - mine is yellow, orange and red. Most kitchens have warm colours - were going with aquamarine and white, with some dark brown accents.

Outdoors, we're thinking red. Leopold wants to build a Japanese tori for a gate. Those are traditionally a deep, rich red.

I'd love to have a room that incorporates shocking pink in some way, but I don't think that'll go down.

I don't think there's anything I can't abide ever. Depending on the context, pretty much any colour can be beautiful.

brebis noire

• View Profile
Colours?
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2006, 12:07:40 PM »
I've got the blue-and-yellow thing going on here too. I still love it, and have added touches of orange and certain greens, as well as a bit of white.

The colour schemes I have more trouble with are more questions of combinations and tone rather than the actual colours themselves. There is a certain burgundy and green (very dark) combination that I can't abide, especially when combined with a darkish beige.  Also, I don't much like grey.

I love to wear red, but I'm not sure I could bring myself to use it on a wall or something.  :shock:  :wink:

Holly Stick

• View Profile
Colours?
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2006, 12:11:15 PM »
Green Many of my favourite tops are green; some of them make my hazel eyes look green, too.

:tea  :drunk  :garden
Economics is a human creation, borders are human creations and nature doesn’t give a damn about these things. - David Suzuki

k'in

• View Profile
Colours?
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2006, 12:20:35 PM »
Fire engine red for vehicles.

Tons of black clothes, though I'm a good 180 degrees away from resembling a Goth

Caribbean colours-bright coral, turquoise, (some) teals, sand

Pink-pastel to hot

Red-bright

Others it depends, many blues, greens, yellows are nice, others not so much

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
Colours?
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2006, 12:23:17 PM »
this isn't exact of course but my downstairs pallet is pretty much this

neutral green entry/laundry room, peachy orange kitchen, chocolate brown dining room, muted butterscotch living room

then the upstairs bathroom has a "treatment" that looks like an old weathered wall in rusty orange with deep chocolate brown trims and vanity.

for clothes I'll wear any colour as long as the hue suits me.
“Damaged people are dangerous. They know they can survive.” —  Josephine Hart

Boom Boom

• View Profile
Colours?
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2006, 12:30:09 PM »
I have a lime green office, brown basement (blue floor), almost pink bedroom (thanks to the previous owners, not me), orange bathroom (it's a nice shade of orange), brown/beige LR, beige/pink spare BR, yellow kitchen/brown cupboards, and green laundry room. The place looks almost like the aftermath of an explosion at the paint factory. I painted my apartment beige and dark beige.  :oops:

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
Colours?
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2006, 12:59:32 PM »
I had a green-and-pink living-room period -- forest or bottle green with a dusty rose. That is quite a nice combination, and in fact I might end up doing it again in my office, simply because those curtains (the ones I was sewing on the morning of Diana and Cholls's wedding) are still in great shape and would fit this room.

I like wearing green, too -- more hazel eyes here -- although the shade really matters. A lot of the muted darker colours that I admire make my skin look drained and sallow -- burgundy especially does, unfortunately.

And I love cerises or shocking pinks, but more as clothes than walls. The person who lived here before me had apparently painted two entire halls and the stairwell between them a kind of platiscine pink. I didn't notice it at first because it was mostly resale white when I first visited. He was honest enough to warn me that I might see it coming through, and at night, in artificial light, I do see an odd pinkish glow ...  But I only discovered what the full effect must have been when I finally opened the door to a little closet I'd never investigated before and that he had not repainted resale white. OMG! The horror! The horror! It is bad enough in that closet, but to imagine the whole stairwell that colour!   :shock:  :shock:  :shock:

Timebandit

• View Profile
Colours?
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2006, 01:00:46 PM »
I like bright colours, but my very favourite colour is red.  I love red. And I like green as a close second.  I look good in both (green eyes, black hair), so I wear reds and greens a lot.  And a lot of black.

For decorating, I like light but usually warm colours on walls.  Lots of yellows, creams, but I have a bright apple green bathroom and an apricot-coloured bathroom.  My livingroom has gold, red and green furniture, but cream walls -- too strong a colour would make it too dark in there.  My office has cream-coloured walls, but terracotta coloured baseboards and window mouldings.  My kitchen is butter yellow and I'm painting the cupboards cabbage green with a deep blue stripe.  It'll be vibrant!
Whenever anyone has offended me, I try to raise my soul so high that the offense cannot reach it. -Rene Descartes, philosopher and mathematician (1596-1650)

Boom Boom

• View Profile
Colours?
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2006, 01:11:49 PM »
I used to like beige as an interior colour (easy on the eyes) until my former gf reminded me "beige is not a colour".   :oops:

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
Colours?
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2006, 01:15:45 PM »
beige is a colour. And used effectively with the right furnishings can be quite classy.
“Damaged people are dangerous. They know they can survive.” —  Josephine Hart

Boom Boom

• View Profile
Colours?
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2006, 01:17:18 PM »
Thanx. I've always liked beige and other muted colours for home interiors.  :)

Return To TAT