Author Topic: Trash entertainment  (Read 39105 times)

deBeauxOs

Trash entertainment
« on: November 10, 2006, 11:44:04 AM »
Enough with the serious  :wink:  thread derailments!!  You got an Elvis sighting or reincarnation - post it here.  You want to kvetch about the latest tabloid headline, this is the place.  I'll start.

Dumped by Text?
Kevin Federline learned of his marriage break-up on Monday when estranged wife Britney Spears dumped him by text. The aspiring rapper was filming a reality TV show for the MuchMusic channel in Toronto, Canada, when cameras caught his mobile phone beeping. He looked visibly shocked as he read the text, and allegedly requested 30 minutes off-set to compose himself. A show source tells British newspaper the Daily Mirror, "His whole mood suddenly changed when the text messages arrived. He had been very upbeat and was saying how Britney was behind his push to make it big in the hip-hop world."  
[/i]

fern hill

• View Profile
    • http://scathinglywrongrightwingnutz.blogspot.com/
Trash entertainment
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2006, 11:58:14 AM »
It's not derailment, deBeauxOs, they call it 'drift' and pride themselves on it. They're incorrigible, but maybe with two of us trying to herd them. . .

deBeauxOs

Trash entertainment
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2006, 12:00:06 PM »
Quote from: fern hill
... They're incorrigible, but maybe with two of us trying to herd them. . .
Oh but fern, they want much much more than just herding .... :shock:

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
Trash entertainment
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2006, 12:01:10 PM »
:cat

:catarch:

:cat  

:bigeyes:

:bigeyes:  :bigeyes:  :bigeyes:  

:rub:
“Damaged people are dangerous. They know they can survive.” —  Josephine Hart

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
Trash entertainment
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2006, 12:05:01 PM »
:bunny  :groucho-marx:  :bunny  :groucho-marx:  :bunny  :groucho-marx:

Holly Stick

• View Profile
Trash entertainment
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2006, 12:12:02 PM »
:rotfl:  :flame  :penguin1  :panic  :canofworms:  :horsegallop:  :piratedance   :hockey:
Economics is a human creation, borders are human creations and nature doesn’t give a damn about these things. - David Suzuki

Boom Boom

• View Profile
Trash entertainment
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2006, 12:55:55 PM »
:snowball:

'lance

• View Profile
Trash entertainment
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2006, 01:32:12 PM »
Quote from: deBeauxOs
Quote from: fern hill
... They're incorrigible, but maybe with two of us trying to herd them. . .
Oh but fern, they want much much more than just herding .... :shock:

Certainly gunnar does, but he should speak for himself. Except on matters of Scotch, of course.

deBeauxOs

Trash entertainment
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2006, 10:40:17 PM »
On the Internet Movie Database, it has been reported that the film 'The Nativity Story' will be screened at the Vatican on Sunday but the pope will not be attending.  Sixteen-year-old 'Whale Rider' actress Keisha Castle-Hughes portrays Jesus' mother Mary, but the fact the New Zealander is pregnant and unmarried is said to have embarrassed the Catholic Church. A Vatican spokesperson insists the Pope was always going to be unable to attend due to a planned visit to Turkey, adding, "The surprise would have been if he had (attended)."

The Vatican premiere, to be held at the Aulo Paolo VI Hall, will be attended by director Catherine Hardwicke and Oscar nominee Shohreh Aghdashloo, who plays Elizabeth in the film.  On the discussion board regarding this film, somebody made the following comment:
i noticed that there is a thread here talking about how they are grateful that they FINALLY get to see mary portrayed correctly. well yeah, if all you're looking for in an age-appropriate actress to do it. but now it's been reported that the girl who plays mary (and i say girl b/c she's only 16 and tome STILL a girl) is PREGNANT by her 19 year old boyfriend! who she started dating at 13! first, what mother allows a 13 year old (7th grade) to date a 16 year old (sophmore in HS)?!?!?!?! second, i bet dollar to doughnuts she feels NO embarassment over this and the role she'd going to be promoting in a few months on the red carpet!!!! god, just another shining example of the degenerate society that we've become!
[/i]

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Trash entertainment
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2006, 07:48:26 AM »
god, just another shining example of the degenerate society that we've become!

My goodness, yes, eh? Why, we sound just like, oh, I dunno, those abandoned creatures in, say, Palestine 'round about the beginning of the Christian era. Imagine.   :roll:

deBeauxOs

Trash entertainment
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2006, 11:39:15 AM »
eh.  It also seems that another element of this film rilly but rilly cheeses (or should I say jesus) off the wingnut fundies.  All those biblical characters are ... brown-skinned!!!  :shock:

Can you imagine?  Quel sacrilège!

deBeauxOs

Trash entertainment
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2006, 12:37:53 PM »
Le scuttlebutt du jour ...
Borat blamed for breaking up ... Pamela Anderson marriage ...

The fake Kazakh documentarian, the brainchild of British comic Sacha Baron Cohen, has faced a litany of accusations ... And now he's been cited as the reason behind Hollywood's latest high-profile split: ... Pamela Anderson is divorcing Kid Rock because of his angry reaction to her scripted part in the film.

The long-haired singer's outburst at a private Hollywood screening of "Borat" - he is reported to have publicly called his new bride a "slut" and a "whore" for appearing in the film - is an odd one. ...

"It seems quite silly and it puts him into the same category as the people who are being made fun of in the film," Garrett Epp, chairman of English and film studies at the University of Alberta, said Tuesday of Rock's alleged response. "It certainly suggests that he really didn't get the joke."

... After marrying Kid Rock ... Anderson reportedly tired of his "rage issues" and filed for divorce after just four months of marriage. ...

The troubles keep mounting as well for the "Borat" movie ... There have been a handful of lawsuits launched at the makers of "Borat" from two sexist frat boys who appear in the film, an etiquette coach and ... (Romanian) villagers who posed as Borat's neighbours in Kazakhstan.

... Educators in the U.S. have also complained that some schoolboys are using a "Borat" catchphrase - "Very nice! How much?" - when their female classmates walk by.

Epp says it's a serious misinterpretation of "Borat" if anyone - comedians and kids in the schoolyard alike - is assuming that it's now acceptable to hurl racial and sexist epithets as a form of humour. ...
So cultural commentators think that 'Borat' may actually encourage and validate the sexist and racist behaviours that are lampooned in the film.  :?  Quel choc!

'lance

• View Profile
Trash entertainment
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2006, 12:59:58 PM »
Quote from: deBeauxOs
So cultural commentators think that 'Borat' may actually encourage and validate the sexist and racist behaviours that are lampooned in the film.  :?  Quel choc!

Oh Gawd. Audience reception. I read somewhere that Norman Lear, when he produced "All In The Family," was shocked to discover just how many viewers tuned in because they took Archie Bunker's bigotry to be the point of the piece, rather than an object of parody, and Archie himself to be the hero -- "He's just saying what everyone thinks," etc.

I'm sure this kind of thing has been enough to make any number of artists in whatever media throw up their hands in despair and say, smack it, I'm going back to the plumbing business, like my parents always wanted.

But as for Kid Rock -- however problematic "Borat" may be (and I haven't seen it), it could only have been a trigger for his thuggery. He's just another meathead popstar like so many dreary specimens before him (and, I fear, after). Three minutes watching him perform on TV, five years or more ago, was enough to give me his measure.

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Trash entertainment
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2006, 01:02:00 PM »
Yeah -- I mean, that is how I felt about Borat for the five minutes or so that I paid attention to him.

Perhaps other, more dedicated researchers than I will find depths in his work that I was too superficial to notice, but me, I just thought that he was adding to the brutality of the world, and I switched off.

Educators in the U.S. have also complained that some schoolboys are using a "Borat" catchphrase - "Very nice! How much?" - when their female classmates walk by.

I'm not surprised.

sparqui

• View Profile
    • http://resettlethis.blogspot.com/
Trash entertainment
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2006, 05:48:18 PM »
I haven't seen Borat nor do I intend to. I hate Sacha Baron Cohen's Ali G character/show and his turn in that craptacular Will Ferrel vehicle called a movie (the one about NASCAR racing). His humour seems very much entrenched on portraying stereotypes but without any real "funny". He is nowhere near the level of serious funny that Dave Chappel brings. His sketch about the blind KKK-loving old racist who has no clue he is Black is priceless.
If my grandmother had wheels, she'd be a tractor. -- Gilles Duceppe

Return To TAT