Author Topic: Trash entertainment  (Read 39219 times)

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
Trash entertainment
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2007, 09:34:35 AM »
Since we're on this turf, who thinks that Angelina and Brad are having troubles?

peppermint

• View Profile
Trash entertainment
« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2007, 02:52:40 PM »
Given that it's been at least 8months since I heard "brangelina" yeah probably

sparqui

• View Profile
    • http://resettlethis.blogspot.com/
Trash entertainment
« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2007, 05:22:46 PM »
Hey all Hasslehoff fans. The Hoff's been videotaped by his daughters falling off the wagon. I read it this morning in the Winnipeg Free Press but found a link to the actual video here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82-FJyniP7A

It's actually quite sad. But supposedly he has no problem with the fact that his daughters distributed the tape  :roll:
If my grandmother had wheels, she'd be a tractor. -- Gilles Duceppe

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
Trash entertainment
« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2007, 05:56:07 PM »
Y'know, that is the first time in my life that I've ever felt sympathy for Hasselhoff.

If anyone is really concerned about how he is, they wouldn't be trying a sick intervention like this.

What horrible children. Horrible.

deBeauxOs

Trash entertainment
« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2007, 06:44:28 PM »
Quote from: lagatta
... One blurb said she was famous for "constantly partying" as a teen. That is a new height in a non-accomplishment!
A Canadian trash entertainment internet columnist (a job that did not exist 10 years ago! :wink: ) advanced the hypothesis that Hilton was particularly skilled at recruiting 'best girl-friends" aka BGFs who somehow, when consorting with her, managed to engage in scandalous behaviours that led to personal or professional train-wrecks.  Nicole Richie, Linsday Lohan, Britney Spears ....

Boom Boom

• View Profile
Trash entertainment
« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2007, 11:41:40 PM »
Rufus Wainwright is the musical guest on "Letterman" tonight, in about 45 minutes.

Boom Boom

• View Profile
Trash entertainment
« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2007, 12:49:34 AM »
He did a song called "Release the stars" and he looked freaking weird, dressed in what I guess were German beer hall shorts and suspenders. Creeped me right out. I guess it was a parody of the pop star, but, holy crap.  :shock:

ETA: Is this guy supposed to be a folk singer like his mum? He came across on Letterman's show as a really creepy lounge lizard. This was so different from his great performances in the Leonard Cohen film.  I got the impression he was either 'wasted' last night, or just not comfortable in his own skin.

deBeauxOs

Trash entertainment
« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2007, 05:21:58 PM »
Hmmm, even thoguh his music is not my cuppa tea, I sure hope Rufus doesn't have a public meltdown like his arch-rival Ashley MacIsaac did, a few years ago.   :?

GDKitty

• View Profile
    • http://hopeandonions.blogspot.com
Trash entertainment
« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2007, 05:39:13 PM »
I didn't catch his Letterman appearance, but I sure hope Rufus is ok. I know he's had a terrible time with addiction etc.

Boom Boom

• View Profile
Trash entertainment
« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2007, 07:09:11 PM »
Rufus looked wasted. What was he addicted to? His performance on Letterman last night was strange. I gather he's not a folk singer although that's the impression I got in the Leonard Cohen film. Why he was wearing shorts and suspenders like found in an old German beer hall escapes me. The music part of his performance was so-so okay, but it was hard getting past how goofy he looked.

GDKitty

• View Profile
    • http://hopeandonions.blogspot.com
Trash entertainment
« Reply #40 on: May 19, 2007, 02:19:12 AM »
He was addicted to crystal meth, Boom-Boom :(

Boom Boom

• View Profile
Trash entertainment
« Reply #41 on: May 19, 2007, 08:34:42 AM »
Good article - fills in a whole lot of gaps about Rufus I didn't know. Thanks.

lagatta

• View Profile
Trash entertainment
« Reply #42 on: May 19, 2007, 09:25:51 AM »
He sounds like a bit of a self-centred jerk, but I guess that goes with the territory...
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Boom Boom

• View Profile
Trash entertainment
« Reply #43 on: May 19, 2007, 10:09:10 AM »
From the article linked to above:

"Rufus Wainwright sees himself in some senses as the true heir to Verdi, clinging on to his every operatic note as if for dear life, violins swirling as he unpacks his heart, mixing American songbook verve with raw self-revelation."

Who the heck is this Verdi character? I've got some old albums by Canadian folksinger Valdi, but Verdi I'm unfamiliar with. Is he some Italian folksinger?  :?

Holly Stick

• View Profile
Trash entertainment
« Reply #44 on: May 19, 2007, 10:49:56 AM »
He wrote operas.

... Although his work was sometimes criticized as catering to the tastes of the common folk, using a generally diatonic rather than a chromatic musical idiom, and having a tendency towards melodrama, Verdi’s masterworks dominate the standard repertoire a century and a half after their composition...

...Although his orchestration is often masterful, Verdi relied heavily on his melodic gift as the ultimate instrument of musical expression. In fact, in many of his passages, and especially in his arias, the harmony is ascetic, with the entire orchestra occasionally sounding as if it were one large accompanying instrument - a giant-sized guitar playing chords...
Economics is a human creation, borders are human creations and nature doesn’t give a damn about these things. - David Suzuki

Return To TAT