Author Topic: Summer travel plans  (Read 44721 times)

lagatta

• View Profile
Summer travel plans
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2006, 10:07:13 AM »
I'm buying my ticket today. It is a special through Air Canada and a couple of other carriers - but not especially cheap - of course it will be reimbursed; I coudn't possibly afford to go otherwise, and can't really afford to go as it is, but I suppose it would cost me just as much to live here and I won't have a lot of last-minute paid work in July. I'm doing part of a book translation - not well paid at all, one of those underpaid academic things - but can do it over there; I'll have computer and internet access.

I wouldn't bother taking a crap airline from Paris to Amsterdam - the Thalys express train gets there in 4 hours, city centre to city centre, and is certainly not more expensive once one has worked out all the mess of dealing with airports - and Ryanair often has strange airports in the middle of nowhere, like Frankfurt-Hahn.

Yep, Suzette, I'm taking warm leggings and a microfleece layer. Amsterdam can be worse than a bit cool in summer (i.e. like winter where you are) but I'm not really there as a tourist and can always pick up something at a cheap sweatshop chain like H&M if need be...

Of course I have more visions of looking most lovely in Italy, but those visions involve about 25 years and 30 lb less... :(
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

suzette

• View Profile
Summer travel plans
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2006, 10:12:36 AM »
Yep, Suzette, I'm taking warm leggings and a microfleece layer. Amsterdam can be worse than a bit cool in summer (i.e. like winter where you are) but I'm not really there as a tourist and can always pick up something at a cheap sweatshop chain like H&M if need be...
Sorry, didn't realise what microfleece was.  (You need to employ your translation skills before you leave, you see.)

I picked up an excellent jacket at H&M last year, which I just happen to be wearing right now. It's plain black, and has zip off sleeves and hood.  Very versatile, very light, quite cheap, and great for travel.

shaolin

• View Profile
Summer travel plans
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2006, 10:27:12 AM »
Ugh, I haven't thought about packing yet.  Actually, I haven't even done my laundry yet...or scrounged around for my passport and e-ticket.  And I'm wasting time online again and not doing my transcribing!!  :oops:

lagatta

• View Profile
Summer travel plans
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2006, 10:39:38 AM »
Leaving soon, shaolin?

I've already thought of packing, though as I've said a lot of this is fantasy packing about looking seductive in Italy.  8)  8)  8)  :cat  8)  8)  8)
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

shaolin

• View Profile
Summer travel plans
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2006, 10:48:20 AM »
In five days.  I always pack last minute, so this is nothing new, and since it isn't a proper move this time I'm not too worried about leaving something behind.  But the laundry - oh the laundry!  Maybe I'll travel with it dirty and then bat my pretty eyelashes at Mom when I get home!  :twisted:

brebis noire

• View Profile
Summer travel plans
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2006, 10:25:34 AM »
We're taking the kids to the Big Apple for a couple of days in the middle of August! The 8-10 hr bus trip from Montreal is what scares me the most, but I'm really looking forward to this experience.

Anybody have some interesting suggestions for what kids  -4 and 8 yrs old - might like to do in NYC (we're thinking Central Park Zoo, Empire state and Statue of Liberty, but I'm not sure people are allowed to enter the Statue of Liberty anymore.)

deBeauxOs

Summer travel plans
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2006, 10:35:36 AM »
Boat ride to Staten Island and back.  Egyptian artifacts at the Metropolitan Museum of Art if they are as fascinated with that stuff as my daughter and I happen to be.  Do an internet advance search on special group prices at the museums - some of them, like the Brooklyn, have kid's activities, and may also offer a special tourist promo pass which may include subway travel - handy for rainy days.

Have fun!  How old are the kids?

'lance

• View Profile
Summer travel plans
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2006, 09:59:27 AM »
Heigh ho, all. This year we did our summer travel in winter, but at least it was a relief to find that we didn´t have to walk around upside down in the Southern Hemisphere.

Anyway, I can´t really do justice to Chile in words, not this morning (one of my few gripes about the place is that the coffee isn´t strong enough), so I suggest going to Google Images and doing a search on "Atacama," and then on "Valparaiso." Or the other way around -- who am I to say?

Damn flood control. Damn Hispanic keyboards. That is all; await further dispatches.

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
Summer travel plans
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2006, 10:05:14 AM »
Are you in Chile right now, 'lancelot?

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
Summer travel plans
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2006, 10:05:26 AM »
hey I've missed you! sounds like you and the DMM had (are having? )a great time.

Flood control? flood control? why I'll have you know I have it set to one second ONE, geez.  :rant  :mrgreen:
“Damaged people are dangerous. They know they can survive.” —  Josephine Hart

'lance

• View Profile
Summer travel plans
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2006, 10:08:19 AM »
We're still having a great time, because yes, we´re still in Chile. Where it´s the same time as in eastern Canada, by the way. The Valparaiso morning downpour has just started, but this time we´ll wait till it ends before we go out.

Damn rain control.

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Summer travel plans
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2006, 10:10:00 AM »
Are you having yummy food? And how is your Spanish? The DMM speaks it, yes?

'lance

• View Profile
Summer travel plans
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2006, 10:19:23 AM »
She speaks it, I less than passably (impassably?). I´m a bit dependent on her, though even she has trouble with the Chilean accent. Nemmine, even Chileans have trouble with the Chilean accent. And when we went to New Zealand I did all the driving, so turnabout is fair play.

Yummy food, yes. For a while there it looked like we were going to be served avacado with every meal. Other fruits and vegetables you simply don´t get in Canada, or for that matter in the northern hemisphere. And then there´s the fish and seafood.

¿Did I mention the fish and seafood?

Damn Hispanic keyboards.

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Summer travel plans
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2006, 10:24:34 AM »
:D

Well, I envy you all your fish and other seafood. (There's a Victor Borge joke about seafood/see footnote, but it would take too long ...)

And do you have chances to swim? Mind the sharks.

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
Summer travel plans
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2006, 10:31:07 AM »

is this you in the picture?  :wink:
“Damaged people are dangerous. They know they can survive.” —  Josephine Hart

Return To TAT