Author Topic: Summer travel plans  (Read 42634 times)

'lance

• View Profile
Summer travel plans
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2006, 09:33:37 AM »
Not sure exactly where that is, but we visited a lake very like that one. Around the shore you could find both ice and salt.

Meanwhile I don´t know why more Chileans aren´t heavy-set. They seem to think that a meal without meat is like a meal without meat, and their desserts could put a person into a diabetic coma.

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
Summer travel plans
« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2006, 09:35:35 AM »
How much longer do you have, 'lance.

In Chile, I mean.   :wink:

'lance

• View Profile
Summer travel plans
« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2006, 09:50:13 AM »
Who among us, skdadl, can say...

Oh. Just read your qualification. We get back home Thursday morning. Not before time either. The snowline is creeping down the Cordillera, even as our host (Maria´s uncle) is increasing the height of the wall around his back yard. But later for all that.

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
Summer travel plans
« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2006, 09:56:33 AM »
Ooh! A cordillera! That must be such fun for a geologist on holiday, to have a cordillera to think about.   :wink:

shaolin

• View Profile
Summer travel plans
« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2006, 02:59:57 PM »
Well, I'm on the North Bay leg of my journey now.  So far, so boring.  But, I should be able to learn lots of french since I don't think I'll have anything else to do!

Boom Boom

• View Profile
Summer travel plans
« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2006, 05:17:08 PM »
Quote from: shaolin
Well, I'm on the North Bay leg of my journey now.  So far, so boring.  But, I should be able to learn lots of french since I don't think I'll have anything else to do!

I lived just outside North Bay, in Sturgeon Falls, for eight years ('82 - '90). Neither place had much to do other than shopping or going for a stroll, unless you're really into fishing and camping. Lake Nipissing in NB is known for pickerel (walleye). Just south of NB is known for deer hunting in the fall. I though both places were quite attractive back then, even if they are fairly quiet. The people in both places were great.

'lance

• View Profile
Summer travel plans
« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2006, 12:54:04 PM »
Quote from: skdadl
Ooh! A cordillera! That must be such fun for a geologist on holiday, to have a cordillera to think about.   :wink:

Cordilleras hell, in this country a gyu (or gril) can go visit active volcanoes.

Not that we did on this trip, but next time we will.

Meanwhile, the Atacama is (you should really pardon the expression, in this case, it being one of the driest areas on earth) a geologist´s wet dream. After we get home I´ll post some pictures of the geysers, for example.

Gigi

• View Profile
Summer travel plans
« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2006, 01:31:26 PM »
Quote from: Boom Boom
Just south of NB is known for deer hunting in the fall. I though both places were quite attractive back then, even if they are fairly quiet. The people in both places were great.

The land south of there is where I grew up.

Went to high school in South River...

Boom Boom

• View Profile
Summer travel plans
« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2006, 04:00:04 PM »
Quote from: Gigi

The land south of there is where I grew up.

Went to high school in South River...

Is that on the way to Mattawa, or is it the other direction, driving into North Bay from Toronto? It's been a while since I've been there. I can't place South River - I keep thinking of Powassan, where I've also spent some time.

I've driven North Bay - Ottawa (east) several times, as well as North Bay to Toronto (south) many times, not to mention North Bay to Sudbury (west), and north of North Bay to Cochrane.

Scout

• View Profile
Summer travel plans
« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2006, 04:02:30 PM »
The BoyScout, the Big Brown Dog and myself are renting a cottage up just past Hunstville for a week at the end of August. I look forward to lounging on the dock and read for a week. Lots of yummy grub and tasty beer and hopefully a few friends will come up for a couple days here and there.

Boom Boom

• View Profile
Summer travel plans
« Reply #40 on: July 11, 2006, 04:12:01 PM »
I'm stroking the home fires this summer. Have measured for new drapes today, cut the lawn, have been measuring for a driveway, and am trying to find a hose long enough to reach the back forty which needs some topsoil and grass seed. If it doesn't rain tonight, I'm going to start painting the deck behind the woodshed, and then the woodshed. Speaking of wood, I've got to bring back all my cut firewood from the bush - through the haze of blackflies that seems hell bent on protecting it all. Damned blackflies - the only thing I don't like about the coast :rant2

deBeauxOs

Summer travel plans
« Reply #41 on: July 11, 2006, 04:26:07 PM »
Quote from: Boom Boom
I'm ... trying to find a hose long enough to reach the back forty which needs some topsoil and grass seed.
Ohhh, seed it with clover - red and white, and whatever native plants happen to be a natural insect repellant/deterrent.  Ask the local nursery or ecological/botanical experts for advice.  And I will do an internet search, as well as look at what Diana Beresford-Kroeger has to say on that topic.

BTW, Boom Boom, I believe that you meant "stoking the home fires" unless you meant a stroke of a different kind, in which case, do carry on.    :wink:

Boom Boom

• View Profile
Summer travel plans
« Reply #42 on: July 11, 2006, 06:48:55 PM »
Quote from: deBeauxOs
BTW, Boom Boom, I believe that you meant "stoking the home fires" unless you meant a stroke of a different kind, in which case, do carry on.    :wink:

Oh, good heavens - I meant stoke, not stroke. :oops:  :oops:  :oops:

BTW, I already have the grass seed. There's lots of white clover already, but it's not growing in the bare sections of the property. I need a longer hose to water it all, won't have the hose until a friend brings some back with him from Sept-Iles next week. When the local contractor gets back from a job further down the coast, I'll have a load of soil to spread on the bare sand before laying down the grass seed, and should be able to water it properly by then.

Still unpacking - can't believe how much there is - and I've given away plenty, already.

Toedancer

• View Profile
Summer travel plans
« Reply #43 on: July 11, 2006, 07:33:55 PM »
BB, I'm so enjoying your joy about moving and gardening in your very own place. I'm crossing my fingers and toes I will be telling the same story by next summer/fall. Keep us informed.
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

Boom Boom

• View Profile
Summer travel plans
« Reply #44 on: July 11, 2006, 09:28:20 PM »
I'm not much of a story teller, but I'll try. I was really happy today to have a cat visitor all day - could be a feral cat, I just don't know. Cassie, the baby German Shepherd from across the street, comes over every day. Gypsy, a white Lab from further down the road (where I used to live) knows I'm here now, and visits often. The backyard garden isn't doing well as we've had no rain in a while, and is drying up. I don't have a hose that reaches, and, anyway, the former owner of this place wants to harvest the crop, so it's his problem for now. I'm going to build a greenhouse over the garden for next year, and grow far more things. It's pretty much a write-off for this year. However, my flower garden is doing really well.  Haven't participated on any boards much this month, still busy with settling in for now.

Return To TAT