Author Topic: Horsepower  (Read 5147 times)

Horsepower
« on: November 14, 2006, 09:46:48 PM »
So, I'm pulling out the credit card again. This time, I have to buy a treadmill. Absolutely. The new swimming pool hours are totally, utterly ridiculous. Opens at 9 p.m. Who the fuck goes swimming at 9 p.m? It is impossible for me to stay up that late. I can't run on the sidewalk (too much impact), and anyway, I find I get a better workout on a treadmill on which it is easier to control my speed.

So, I've been looking online, and there are all these treadmills with 1.3HP, 1.5HP, 2HP, 3HP, etc. What is the significance of these numbers? They talk about these continuous-duty motor speeds at all these HPs, and I don't know why this number is so signifcant because well, all you do if plug the fucking thing into a socket, turn it on and start running, right? And then, as if that's not enough to confuse me, there are these treadmills masquerading as "electric treadmills".... sorry, but aren't all these HP treadmills 'electric'?

I found one for $600, it's only 1.3 HP, but it's got a low-impact belt which is all I'm really interested in. I googled treadmill buying tips, and one site says not to buy anything under 1.5HP.

Any advice?

Btw, if anybody knows anybody looking to get rid of a treadmill for a somewhat cheap amount... I would love to hear about it.

Boom Boom

• View Profile
Horsepower
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2006, 09:55:57 PM »
My other SIL in Ottawa uses her treadmill every day, with George Thorogood and the Destroyers playing damned LOUD through a powerful stereo, every time. :shock:

Horsepower
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2006, 10:02:09 PM »
I'll have a variety of music, Boom Boom. Heck, I'll even let you pick the songs, and if I have it, we'll see if you can hear it all the way out where you are. :)

Boom Boom

• View Profile
Horsepower
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2006, 10:04:23 PM »
Oh, yeah? Let's see if you can handle "Having My Baby" by Paul Anka!  :twisted:  (please don't flame me - is joke, is joke!)

lagatta

• View Profile
Horsepower
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2006, 11:52:46 PM »
Is Ottawa Joke! (chanelling Borat?) Ottawa has a Paul Anka Drive...
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Timebandit

• View Profile
Horsepower
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2006, 02:39:30 PM »
Have you tried out a treadmill, eph?  If you haven't, you should give one a whirl (or three or four) before you buy one.  I thought they'd be a good alternative to running outside, but I just hate them!  You use totally different muscle groups, and you don't get the workout you do on solid ground because you aren't actually moving your full mass forward, you're just keeping in time with the belt, which is doing the usual moving.

Anyway, I had serious pain in not-usually-for-running muscles.  It's really not much like actual running or walking!
Whenever anyone has offended me, I try to raise my soul so high that the offense cannot reach it. -Rene Descartes, philosopher and mathematician (1596-1650)

vmichel

• View Profile
Horsepower
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2006, 02:55:00 PM »
I second Timebandit's suggestion. If you're going to drop that kind of cash, it's definitely worth it to buy a day pass to a gym and try out some different treadmills. I run on a treadmill sometimes and like it, but different models are better suited to different people depending on how you run. There are some treadmills I can't tolerate, and some that feel good. Try and see!

Boom Boom

• View Profile
Horsepower
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2006, 03:01:58 PM »
You need a fair amount of space for a treadmill unless it will be stored when not in use, and windows that can open, especially in summer. You'd also be working up a sweat, so may want shower facilities nearby as well. I'd love a treadmill here, but don't have any space for one.

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
Horsepower
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2006, 03:36:14 PM »
I'd love the treadmill I was on at the hospital today.

Very wide track, smooth acceleration, smooth angle changes, really nice machine.
“Damaged people are dangerous. They know they can survive.” —  Josephine Hart

fern hill

• View Profile
    • http://scathinglywrongrightwingnutz.blogspot.com/
Horsepower
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2006, 03:46:21 PM »
There's a second-hand store I pass regularly on the street-car. It's on a wide sidewalk, so they put a bunch of stuff outside in the summer. It always amuses me how much exercise equipment -- bikes, treadmills -- they have. Try a second-hand shop, eph.

Horsepower
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2006, 08:27:17 PM »
I did call up a few second-hand places and they don't sell treadmills.

I do like the electric treadmills. I do not like running outdoors. I have done it on a few, somewhat muddy, trails - I enjoyed that. But those will start to get slippery. The sidewalks and roads are far too much impact on me. Maybe I'm a weakling. Also, I like how I can set the speed on a treadmill super high, and then I'm forced to run that fast - I usually only do that to test my limits, it's not a regular thing I do. If I was running outdoors, I know I couldn't make myself run that fast for a considerable amount of time keeping the same consistent pace. Same with a cheaper mechanical treadmill. I need that moving belt to force me to move. The mechanical treadmills tend to have not as good impact as well.

I am a swimmer more than anything else, and when I am forced to take up running, I want total man-made comfort. It's sad, but true.

I used to have a gym membership. I would wake up at ten to 5, ride my bike about 20 minutes to the gym, run on the treadmill there, lift weights, ride my bike back home, shower, eat breakfast and then ride 15 minutes to work. It's hard to do that now because I moved quite far away from work (hoping to get a job closer to home), and work is now 45 minutes away from home. So, I quit the gym, bought a few weights, and I go swimming at the Rec Center around the corner from my house. Unfortunately, their fall and winter hours for adult laps are so shitty. It was good in the summer. So, I need to make alternate arrangements for my winter workout.

Boom Boom

• View Profile
Horsepower
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2006, 09:12:45 PM »
My workout is going up and down the stairs here about 30 - 50 times a day. :)  I used to walk the dog at least six kilometers a day, all summer - guess I gotta get out more, but still a lot of work to do in the house.

k'in

• View Profile
Horsepower
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2006, 09:41:15 PM »
ephemeral-what's up with your gym?  What are they doing with the pool up until 9 pm?  Bizarro.  Are there any other pool options?  Here we have a civic center place that has a pay as you go pool for $1/time (last time I went, might be more now).

Have you checked ebay?  I've never bought anything through them.  My brother got a nice one cheap at a yard sale.  There used to be (still is?) a place that rented equipment on a monthly basis (you could switch machines every month to avoid boredom).  

Hope you can get set up - it's no good when you are motivated to get your exercise and getting roadblocks.

Boom Boom

• View Profile
Horsepower
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2006, 09:41:33 AM »
This thread reminds me of an old joke - A doctor says to a man "You want to improve your love life? You need to get some exercise. Run ten miles a day." Two weeks later, the man called the doctor. The doctor says "How is your love life since you have been running?" "I don't know, I'm 140 miles away!"

Horsepower
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2006, 05:34:05 PM »
I bought a treadmill. 2-ply, low impact, it felt very comfortable. The treadmill arrives next weekend. I can hardly wait. My body feels so sore and achy from lack of exercise. The damage was $1200. :( I'll pay it off my credit card slowly. The cheaper ones were $800 or less, and I could feel the impact jarring through my entire body. Most of the others were $1600-$3000!! As always, I never think about the amount of money I've spent, just the product, and I'm pretty happy. :)

Return To TAT