Author Topic: Outdoor gardens  (Read 55899 times)

Toedancer

• View Profile
Re: Outdoor gardens
« Reply #300 on: May 26, 2011, 11:59:55 PM »
 :)) mosquitoes
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #301 on: May 27, 2011, 12:04:35 AM »
Been working in the garden all week. Sore bones and muscles.  :o

Herr Magoo

• View Profile
« Reply #302 on: May 30, 2011, 11:56:12 AM »
Last year, for the lulz, I planted some seeds from my spice cupboard, and they grew.  I didn't take really good care of them, mind you, and they were in too wee a pot, but they definitely grew.

This year I felt lazy, so I planted a spice blend -- Panch phoran -- and already the pot they're in looks like a chia pet.

Only problem is I don't know which sprout is which of the five seeds.  But if I get some fenugreek leaf, that'll be good.  Last year my fenugreek actually seeded, so I have my own fresh fenugreek seed, about enough for a small pot of dal.  :)
ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø,

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #303 on: June 13, 2011, 01:36:33 PM »
Fun with illusions. Wouldn't it be fun to watch 'high' friends encountering THIS fantastic Stockholm street illusion in your backyard?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 01:37:11 PM by Toedancer »
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #304 on: June 15, 2011, 01:33:48 PM »
Tonights the night for those with Moon Gardens.

NA won't see the lunar eclipse but you can watch livestream here
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 02:09:00 PM by Toedancer »

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #305 on: June 25, 2011, 03:29:43 PM »
I'm tuckered; weeding, pinching, deadheading, transplanting, re-arranging gnomes and oh yeah hey Skdadl, if your reading, my nasturtiums are all abloom!  :p

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #306 on: November 15, 2011, 12:58:43 PM »
I've just harvested all my dill, hung to dry now. The nosecones (Echinacea) need thinning out and I've dug a new spot for them. That frost-resistant white daisy perennial outdid itself, very beautiful and worth getting more. They bloom in November and they are all over the house now. It's going to the new spot as well. Well, gonna start digging.

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #307 on: January 30, 2012, 12:22:13 AM »
The USDA has put out a new hardiness planting zone map. You won't see the new map on seed packets this year, not til next year. Thing is the 'new' map is already 7 years old.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/25/planting-zone-map-updated_n_1230893.html

If Canada puts one out, surely they will be more updated than this one. Someone in Toronto reports seeing snowdrops coming up already. Dormancy must be a problem this winter ferrsure. We're at minus 8 right now, but going up to plus 7 on Tuesday, with sun, so we'll see if it gets higher. What a strange winter.  :confused

arborman

• View Profile
    • http://bohemiancoast.blogspot.com
« Reply #308 on: March 25, 2012, 04:07:10 PM »
Our crocuses are coming up and making me happy.  R was out in the garden digging and such over the last few (gorgeous) days. 

Sadly, a big windstorm a couple weeks ago knocked over our aging Eucalyptus tree.  It left a stump and some smaller shoots, which we'll leave for visual interest, but the poor thing was badly rotten at the base.  Now I have to fire up the evilsaw and cut it up, though I've no idea if it is good for firewood (perhaps very fragrant firewood?).

Haven't built the greenhouse yet, I think I'll build a few small boxes with glass tops for the tomatoes, using scrap glass.  R will like that, methinks.
The pleasures of the table are for every man, of every land, and no matter what place in history or society; they can be a part of all his other pleasures, and they last the longest, to console him when he has outlived the rest.

Antonia

• View Profile
    • http://thestar.blogs.com/broadsides/
« Reply #309 on: March 26, 2012, 05:13:02 PM »
My peonies are 8 inches high.  :o
It is when we all play safe that we create a world of utmost insecurity. It is when we all play safe that fatality will lead us to our doom. It is in the "dark shade of courage" alone that the spell can be broken.
-- Dag Hammarskjöld

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #310 on: March 26, 2012, 06:09:28 PM »
Antonia, I have seen so many crocuses up and the beginnings of tulip flowers. I hope they won't die tonight as it is predicted to go down to -8 ... just tonight, after it will get warmer again but not as spectacularly hot as it was for a bit. No peonies anywhere yet (except big buds) but of course we are in a colder zone than you. Even the snow crab is two weeks early.

Arborman, very good to hear from you. I'm sorry about your Eucalyptus. Perhaps some craftsperson would love what is useable from that wonderful wood. I remember living in a flat with eucalyptus woodwork. It was so very lovely.

I assume R is your spouse/companion, not one of the little arborpeople... (Sorry, it has been a while).
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #311 on: March 26, 2012, 07:43:11 PM »
The Daffs and Tulips and Ground Cover are gorgeous everywhere I cycle. I'll be checking mid day as well to see if all is frostbitten. I dug up my hydrangea and my moon fall perennials, which are outside in big pots. Yikes.

P.S. Arborman, perhaps make some wonderful wooden spoons from the Eucalyptus. They would be so pretty. I once carved out a gorgeous maple spoon with a flat edge, rather than round and it is still doing a great job.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 07:46:57 PM by Toedancer »

Berlynn

• View Profile
    • http://politicsnpoetry.wordpress.com
« Reply #312 on: March 27, 2012, 01:03:50 AM »
AZ or any Torontonian, what are those white blooming trees I'm seeing around Yorkville?
Never retreat, never explain, never apologize--get the thing done and let them howl.  -- Nellie McClung

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #313 on: March 27, 2012, 01:33:43 AM »
AZ or any Torontonian, what are those white blooming trees I'm seeing around Yorkville?

LOL, could be anything Berlynn, maybe white forsythia or dogwood.  petals or soft and fuzzy?

Berlynn

• View Profile
    • http://politicsnpoetry.wordpress.com
« Reply #314 on: March 27, 2012, 12:18:46 PM »
Well, I haven't touched them but they seem to be soft, like a peony, sort of, but not that big.
Never retreat, never explain, never apologize--get the thing done and let them howl.  -- Nellie McClung

Return To TAT