Author Topic: Outdoor gardens  (Read 55147 times)

Boom Boom

• View Profile
Outdoor gardens
« Reply #45 on: September 17, 2007, 11:04:25 AM »
The birds can see you in the bathroom? :shock:

deBeauxOs

Outdoor gardens
« Reply #46 on: September 17, 2007, 11:07:46 AM »
The birds could see me in my birthday suit and I could see the birds in their birdday suits when the window is open.  I have a translucent window.  When it is closed light streams in, but nothing is visible.   :lol:

Boom Boom

• View Profile
Outdoor gardens
« Reply #47 on: September 17, 2007, 11:09:30 AM »
I was solely concerned with your safety, dollink.  :whis:

deBeauxOs

Outdoor gardens
« Reply #48 on: September 17, 2007, 11:25:51 AM »
Peeping birds?

Boom Boom

• View Profile
Outdoor gardens
« Reply #49 on: September 17, 2007, 11:32:55 AM »
Remember the Hitchcock film? :?

deBeauxOs

Outdoor gardens
« Reply #50 on: September 17, 2007, 11:36:03 AM »
Errr ... yes.  But there is a metal screen mesh separating me from the birds.  When you stand in your garden, swarmed by birds, where's your protection?

Or are you refering to Psycho?

Boom Boom

• View Profile
Outdoor gardens
« Reply #51 on: September 17, 2007, 11:39:00 AM »
Oh, the birds recognise my  :spy:  credentials and stay their distance.  :whis:

anne cameron

• View Profile
Outdoor gardens
« Reply #52 on: September 17, 2007, 01:49:33 PM »
Not really as bird brained as they are said to be, obviously..........

Boom Boom

• View Profile
Outdoor gardens
« Reply #53 on: September 19, 2007, 04:46:53 PM »
I wonder if discarded sunflower hulls provide fertilizer? I've got lots of the stuff in the grass and in the gardens from where the birds, the chipmunk, and the mole leave them. I don't fancy trying to clean them all up.

The birds are really getting used to me. When I'm out stacking firewood in the woodshed, they fly around me, wish I could understand what they're saying. Even the chipmunk doesn't run away when I approach, although he hightails it out of here fast when the neighborhood dogs make their unwanted visit. It's because of the dogs that I have most of the gardens fenced off. I wanted a safe haven where the birds (and chipmunk) can eat merrilly away.  :feedbirds:  :feedbirds:  :feedbirds:  :feedbirds:  :feedbirds:  :feedbirds:

deBeauxOs

Outdoor gardens
« Reply #54 on: September 19, 2007, 06:11:03 PM »
Sunflower husks will decompose, eventually.  I'm beginning to think of you as Francis Assisi of the Lower North Shore ....  :lol:

Boom Boom

• View Profile
Outdoor gardens
« Reply #55 on: September 19, 2007, 06:18:52 PM »
That's a compliment. I've always liked Francis of Assisi; I've got two bios of him. :age:

lagatta

• View Profile
Outdoor gardens
« Reply #56 on: September 19, 2007, 07:28:07 PM »
When in Assisi (remember, I studied in Perugia; Assisi is only about 30 km away) one sees not only Christian pilgrims - and not only Catholics among them - but also a large number of Buddhists, including Buddhist monks and nuns. The Buddha also cast away the privileges of his spoilt youth to develop compassion for all beings.

I'm not either Christian or Buddhist, but I really like Francesco, Chiara etc...
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Boom Boom

• View Profile
Outdoor gardens
« Reply #57 on: September 25, 2007, 06:50:07 PM »
I've been busy getting firewood and stacking it, and also reinforcing a wall of the garage where the wood is stacked. Also have been out in the veggie garden harvesting potatoes, carrots, rutabaga, and Meslun lettuce. There's a heck of a lot of lettuce! It grows really well here. Not so for everything else - I really have to fertilize well, and dig up the weeds. The potatoes, rutabaga, and carrots are half small, half medium size. No large veggies other than the lettuce. The cabbage failed completely. The green and black beans were good.

After I get the firewood finished - hopefully this week, provided I don't have to go out to the hospital - then I'll bring in the rest of the veggies before the frost hits.

As for the greenhouse, well, the tomatoes are small and green.  :(

ps: these potatoes only take five minutes to boil through.

deBeauxOs

Outdoor gardens
« Reply #58 on: September 25, 2007, 07:00:16 PM »
The good news is that tiny veggies are more tender than big old ones - you should remember that from being zucchini'ed, Boom Boom!  :P

Boom Boom

• View Profile
Outdoor gardens
« Reply #59 on: September 25, 2007, 08:28:20 PM »
Yup!  The garden veggies are quite good when they're small. However, some of them are too small to bother with.

Return To TAT