Author Topic: Outdoor gardens  (Read 55144 times)

Boom Boom

• View Profile
Outdoor gardens
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2007, 01:03:02 PM »
Sounds like you have a great garden, Anne. Of course, living in the rain forest of BC, that's to be expected.  :wink:

anne cameron

• View Profile
Outdoor gardens
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2007, 04:45:45 PM »
Boom, my "garden" is a mess.  The ground gets further and further away every year and somehow (how??) that seems linked to the proliferation of weeds.  Most of which I basically tolerate, especially if they get flowers of any kind.  I hate creeping buttercup but I think I've given up the fight against it, talk about the teaspoon to empty the ocean.  I'm at the point where stuff gets put out, it gets watered, it gets fertlized and if it can't make it after that, well, rest in peace.  Or pieces.

Boom Boom

• View Profile
Outdoor gardens
« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2007, 05:27:31 PM »
I have a creeping weed that's actually good looking - it's a long red stem that produces tiny green leaves. Doesn't stand up, though, just spreads across the lawn. That's okay, because it adds a contrast to the clover and other attractive weeds. Actually looks quite artistic. I'll leave it be.

deBeauxOs

Outdoor gardens
« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2007, 06:35:57 PM »
It sounds like Creeping Charlie ... not to be confused with Peeping Tom.   :P

Boom Boom

• View Profile
Outdoor gardens
« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2007, 07:14:54 PM »
Quote from: deBeauxOs
It sounds like Creeping Charlie ... not to be confused with Peeping Tom.   :P

Close, but no potato. The creeping vine here is all very bright red stem, with the tiny green leaves. Very artistic.

anne cameron

• View Profile
Outdoor gardens
« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2007, 09:04:34 PM »
Creeping Charlie looks a bit like creeping pink buttercup and it's a pain in the face, too.  I have a weed which has sort'a kind'a valentine shaped leaves, gets yellow flowers, I like it so well I've moved it into some of the containers, it does better than lobelia, which has been hybridized to the point it's almost too precious to grow any more!  Then there is nepeata...it can be a pain in the ass if it gets into a garden bed where you don't want it but it makes a good ground cover for those of us who do not want a "lawn", resent having to burn gas to cut the grass, but don't want to live in a hayfield.

Boom Boom

• View Profile
Outdoor gardens
« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2007, 10:17:10 PM »
The creeping ground vine here seems to take its own space where there was exposed dirt and no grass. That's okay with me. I'll watch to see if it pushes the grass out. But the creeping vine looks great - doesn't bother me at all. I might trim it if it looks like it's taking over the lawn.

Boom Boom

• View Profile
Outdoor gardens
« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2007, 07:36:32 PM »
Art In The Garden gives me ideas. I think in 2008, I'll do some creative artwork on my woodshed and on the plexiglass fence around my veggie garden. I don't think these glass creations would stand up to the very strong wind we get here occasionally.

Hmmm.... I think I'll buy some paint and brushes and let my visitors be creative, as well. :popcorn

deBeauxOs

Outdoor gardens
« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2007, 08:14:37 PM »
So who is this gyu Art and why would you let him run wild in your garden?  :wink:

Outdoor gardens
« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2007, 08:16:47 PM »
Because they let his brother Harry in, and he'd be miffed otherwise.

(Belated realization)  Hey!  Just a second there ...

Boom Boom

• View Profile
Outdoor gardens
« Reply #40 on: September 16, 2007, 10:10:33 PM »
:drift_police:

anne cameron

• View Profile
Outdoor gardens
« Reply #41 on: September 16, 2007, 10:13:47 PM »
And don't forget creeping Charlie...

deBeauxOs

Outdoor gardens
« Reply #42 on: September 16, 2007, 10:48:11 PM »
What about crouching Cyril?  Doesn't he get any respect?   :annoyed:

Boom Boom

• View Profile
Outdoor gardens
« Reply #43 on: September 16, 2007, 10:58:20 PM »
:whis:

deBeauxOs

Outdoor gardens
« Reply #44 on: September 17, 2007, 10:47:08 AM »
Inspired by Boom Boom's bird lunch counter exploits, I moved my feeder upstairs where I can reach out my bathroom window to hook it onto  sturdy upper branches of the locust tree located in my side yard.  The chickadees descend upon it and Poqui spends hours in the sunlit window, watching them.  That window is diagonally opposite to my office one (it's an old row house and the side jogs in) and I can hear their song.  The leaves in the honey locust are turning yellow ...  :?

Return To TAT