Author Topic: No one expects the Inquisition, but  (Read 1626 times)

fern hill

• View Profile
    • http://scathinglywrongrightwingnutz.blogspot.com/
No one expects the Inquisition, but
« on: June 13, 2006, 07:23:36 PM »
What has most surprised you in your life? Of course, Baxters and Gardeners will take this anywhere they want, but I'm thinking Big Picture things, rather than personal things.

I remember being shocked on hearing that the organizers of the Miss Canada pageant had decided its time was done. (The crap came back, of course.) Holy moly, I remember thinking, this feminist shit works!

AIDS was pretty surprising to my generation of vaccine-takers, medicine-believers.

On a similar note, the eradication of small pox was also suprising. Wildly gratifying, but one gets used to these grandiose schemes that never go anywhere.

The rise of the religious right also surprised the hell out of me. Jeebus, millions of people have been working and suffering and dying for hundreds of years to get quit of that crap and here it comes storming back again.

deBeauxOs

Re: No one expects the Inquisition, but
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2006, 07:27:15 PM »
Of course, Baxters and Gardeners will take this anywhere they want, but I'm thinking Big Picture things, rather than personal things.
 What are - or should I say who are - "Baxters and Gardeners"?

fern hill

• View Profile
    • http://scathinglywrongrightwingnutz.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2006, 07:29:42 PM »
Ha, you fell into my pendant trap. Baxter is a female baker. One of those occupation-names, like Fletcher and Cartwright.

anne cameron

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2006, 08:14:25 PM »
I am still amazed that so few people seem to look on the upsurge in Religious Right ugliness as a threat to freedom.

It has actually shaken my faith in the ability of most people to recognize the smell of bullshit and to look at what these people REALLY have in mind, to realize what they REALLY want to force on the rest of us.

They have always frightened me.  Listening to them hits me in the same place which trembles when I watch footage of those torch lit rallies with the banners and jack boots and fanaticism.

They wish us no good at all.

Return To TAT