Author Topic: Breast-feasting: the mommy diaries  (Read 2497 times)

deBeauxOs

Breast-feasting: the mommy diaries
« on: June 14, 2006, 11:19:48 AM »
Oh yes.  Now this is much more fun than menstruation horror stories, right?  Although I have known some embarassing moments while breastfeeding, such as the first time that I attended a public event sans la p'tite fille and my primed baby feeders spurted a leak when I thought - thought!!! - of my wee daughter.

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2006, 11:54:03 AM »
Spurting when a cat howls at night, that sometimes sounds so much like a baby. Spurting in a movie theatre, if there is even the tiniest hint of a baby like gurgle.

And after it was all over, and nipples healed, breasts went down, and you owned your own body again, did you not find your nipples became HUGELY erotic forevermore? So much so, that they could be manipulated to bring on the little death?  :shock:  :oops:
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

deBeauxOs

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2006, 12:01:22 PM »
And after it was all over, and nipples healed, breasts went down, and you owned your own body again, did you not find your nipples became HUGELY erotic forevermore?
Oh my goodness gracious.  Is it just me or is it rilly hot in here?

Ahem.  Well there you have it.  The Mother/Whore polarization skewered, exploded, and buried.  Thank you Toedancer.   8)

Timebandit

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2006, 12:44:36 PM »
But you KNOW she's right.   :lol:

Let's not even get started on pregnant sex...   :shock:  :lol:

When Ms T was about a week old, we had to go to Zellers and I was feeling cooped up anyway (January baby!), so off we went.  We got to the check-out and she started to fuss.  Had to find somewhere to feed her, so I left Ms B and the Blond Guy at the checkout and headed into the mall to find a bench.

I swear to gawd, ever bleeding bench in the place had two old men on it!  You know, hanging out while their wives did the shopping.  I raced up and down the whole mall looking for a seat, and there was nothing.  So I decided tha I was just going to have to pick one and sit in the middle.  Which I did.  Baby latched, sweet relief!

Now, once they figured out what was going on, both old geezers suddenly could not look in my direction.   But they didn't get up, either.  Both of them, more or less in unison just sort of leaned away from me, looking off in the opposite directions and drooping over the arms of the bench as far as their retired spines would let them without actually raising a butt cheek.     :lol:  8)
Whenever anyone has offended me, I try to raise my soul so high that the offense cannot reach it. -Rene Descartes, philosopher and mathematician (1596-1650)

vickyinottawa

• View Profile
    • http://www.offhand.ca
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2006, 12:45:15 PM »
Yikes - you're really letting me know what I have in store for me come October, huh?

Timebandit

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2006, 12:47:59 PM »
Oh, vicky, it'll be awesome.  Rilly rilly.  

The leakage can't be helped, so just buy a lot of good breast pads.  I got the washable cotton ones, and carried extras in a ziplock in my purse.
Whenever anyone has offended me, I try to raise my soul so high that the offense cannot reach it. -Rene Descartes, philosopher and mathematician (1596-1650)

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2006, 01:52:22 PM »
Vicky there is nothing like the bliss on a childs face when they are snuggled up to thier mothers breast.

All my children first laughed while nursing.
“Damaged people are dangerous. They know they can survive.” —  Josephine Hart

anne cameron

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2006, 01:57:21 PM »
Second child , daughter, was three months old and we were travelling.  Went with friends to a chinese restaurant in Ottawa.  Completely off her schedule, a good hour and a half "too soon", sweetheart started to raise the roof.  I adjusted the blanket, etc., and she glommed on with those very happy little slurping noises, and we continued our lunch.  Not three minutes later, waitress arrives at our booth with a pot of tea and a big glass of ice water for me.  She smiled and nodded, I said thank you, everything continued... and later, meal finished, waitress brought an extra fortune cookie for the baby.

Grandgrrrrrls , all four of them, were breast fed until one by one they weaned themselves.  Ellen is now six months old and starting to explore "real food", gets her juice from a glass, drinks of water from a cup, loves to gum and savor cooked fish, mashed spuds.  Other day she was given some crab meat by Lilli...instant hit!  Four girls in five years and daughter-in-law is looking very tired.  Thank heavens she doesn't feel at all threatened or intruded upon if I go over and scoop the mobile ones for a couple of hours, and I've told her if she needs a nap to just phone and I'll go grab them and bring them here.  She's done that a couple of times, and I think we all benefited.

My youngest was sixteen years old when out of the blue I started lactating again.  That continued for more than twenty years.  I'm 67 and just in the past couple of years have the taps seemed dry again.   I don't miss the leakage at all.

Morning Glory

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2006, 10:05:40 PM »
Quote from: Timebandit
The leakage can't be helped, so just buy a lot of good breast pads.  I got the washable cotton ones, and carried extras in a ziplock in my purse.

I found that I leaked so much, especially the first three, that the breast pads were useless.  Night-time maxi-pads would have been better.

I was at a funeral and had baby in a sling and my husband's mother-in-law ran up to me and covered me with a sweater.  Apparently, I was leaking (despite breast pads) and the spot was growing and growing and growing.  I actually didn't really care.

There is also some concern that breast pads, especially once a bit damp, should not be left in for very long as it's a nice place for yucky things to grow.  While at home I just let my t-shirts get wet.

The funniest thing is my left boob shoots, I mean, SHOOTS, milk as soon as it's "activated".  If baby moves his face away for a breath of air, he gets milk all over - in hair, in eyes, in ears...

I have to say, I love breast feeding and am so glad that I am able to do it.  Very few of my friends or relatives who have babies in the last few years have breastfed.  For various reasons, I guess.  Sad for them.

And Vicki - don't buy a breast pump until you know you need one.  When I was in the hospital I saw so many Dads in the pharmacy buying pumps for the Moms that I thought I should buy one.  But I found it really easy to express the milk myself.  And I didn't have to do this much anyway.  There are so many things that people say you need to buy but I just bought things as I needed them.  Never bought a change table, for instance.

Timebandit

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2006, 10:51:17 PM »
I liked my breast pump.  I found that I could half-drown the baby with a powerful let-down reflex, and sometimes the pump helped me take down the pressure, especially in the first couple of weeks.  And then I'd freeze it in a baggie for later, when I could leave the baby with grandma for an hour or two.  Worked great with Ms B, but Ms T would have none of those artificial nipples.  Mama's girl, all the way.  She never did learn to take a bottle, went straight to a cup.

I still get let-down reflexes, and Ms T and I stopped with the breastfeeding more than 3 years ago (she's 5 1/2).  I don't recall having that happen between the two girls, but it happens now.  Bit of a shock the first time, but now I just shrug it off.

Return To TAT