Author Topic: Robbed  (Read 8329 times)

deBeauxOs

Robbed
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2006, 12:50:02 PM »
The guy who 'mugged' you a few weeks ago got keys that gave entry to the building, did he not?  Remember to tell that to the police so they can try to get fingerprints from her apartment, in case he's in the system.

lagatta

• View Profile
Robbed
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2006, 12:53:42 PM »
No, the co-op is a string of Montréal triplexes - there is no outside door, and I didn't have the master key.

I'm sure they choose her place because a) it is a ground floor, and they entered through the window and b) the tenant was away and there was an accumulation of post and flyers.  Her nephew was supposed to take that, but I guess he missed a day.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

arborman

• View Profile
    • http://bohemiancoast.blogspot.com
Robbed
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2006, 02:02:51 PM »
Quote from: Herr Magoo
I think when parasites like these are caught, in addition to the usual punishment (such as it is), the victim should be permitted to take any one thing they want from the criminal, and do anything they wish with it.

Well, the reality is that the person who broke into my home is almost certainly homeless and drug addicted.  There is nothing to take, and if they had anything I wouldn't want it.

I'm not going to indulge in any revenge fantasies, it doesn't have much point.  What I am going to do is:

1.  Try to make my home more secure without stooping to living in a cage or arming myself.

2.  Continue working to make our fucking society pay attention to the desperately poor, mentally ill and drug addicted people we are so casually discarding.  I'd far rather pay higher taxes than higher insurance premiums, and I do see it as a fairly binary choice.  

Crime will always happen, but much of it stems from desperation.  We have the money and the ability to address that desperation, but we don't because we have appointed ourselves judges on the circumstances of people we do not know and cannot understand.  So instead we end up putting bars on our windows and hoping it doesn't get any worse...
The pleasures of the table are for every man, of every land, and no matter what place in history or society; they can be a part of all his other pleasures, and they last the longest, to console him when he has outlived the rest.

brebis noire

• View Profile
Robbed
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2006, 02:11:02 PM »
arborman, I am very sorry to hear about the robbery and the awful damage to arborboy's room. (Maybe it's a treat for him to sleep in mum and dad's room for a while?)

I haven't had any first-hand experiences with break-ins, and I don't know how I'd react. Probably would depend on what was taken and how.

Your analysis of the person(s) who robbed your place sounds right. Doesn't look like a very professional job - more of a desperation job.

My best friend suffered a break-in a few years ago. It was the opposite of your experience. She didn't even *know* she'd had a break-in until she noticed her laptop was missing. Then - her jewelry, some precious and irreplacable personal items, and valuables that hadn't been at all out in the open. Besides the laptop, nothing obvious had been taken, and there were no marks anywhere, not on the door, nowhere. It was creepy; such a professional job evoked the spectre of a tightly organized, trained and disciplined ring of criminals. Organized crime.

Herr Magoo

• View Profile
Robbed
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2006, 02:17:07 PM »
Well, the reality is that the person who broke into my home is almost certainly homeless and drug addicted.

I would bet that the money is being spent on drugs, but whether or not the person is homeless I'd say is another story.

And really, if I were only proposing revenge, I'd suggest something like a beating on the soles of the feet, Midnight Express-style.  I'm really trying to address that part of theft and violation that isn't usually addressed when the court hands out a sentence.  It's nice if a burglar has to make restitution of the value of my grandmother's wedding ring, but I think it might be meaningful if he could also be made to understand that things have a value beyond the dollar value.  Privacy, safety, sentiment... all of these are more valuable than the ring.  Think of it as moral restitution, perhaps.  And indeed it would be shitty for the thief, but only because their actions are shitty for everyone else.  How else will they come to understand the effect of what they're doing?

So instead we end up putting bars on our windows and hoping it doesn't get any worse

To be fair, even if we say for the sake of argument that a full HALF of all crime such as this is the result of genuine desperation, I still want locks on my doors for the half that isn't.
ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø,

chester

• View Profile
Robbed
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2006, 03:13:55 PM »
well, SGI still hasn't phoned back to schedule a meeting (10 days and counting!) and phoning them results in an earful of muzak.  fuckers!

Nikita

• View Profile
Robbed
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2006, 03:45:29 PM »
SGI is the scourge of the earth.  They can get away with atrocious customer service because, well, what other option do people have?  It's not like we can take our business elsewhere.  Fuckers.  My sympathies, chester.  Oooh they make me so mad!   :evil:

And sympathies for you too, arborman.  One time I was living in a large house with about 8 other people.  I came home one day to find my bedroom ransacked.  One girl's drug-addled boyfriend realised that I kept an emergency stash of cash in my room and stole it.  He also broke my computer monitor, my alarm clock and managed to rip some of my clothes to shreds.  It was a bad feeling, because none of my roomates cared, and the guy still came over all the time.  He knew that I knew he had done it, but never acknowledged it and certainly never apologized.  It was so bizarre, I moved out about 6 weeks later.

Return To TAT